The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:22:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Marmite

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marmite  (Read 3112 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:17:00 pm »

Since the magnificent comestible Marmite has been raised elsewhere in a somewhat offtopic manner...   it seemed appropriate to dedicate a thread in praise of this fine foodstuff.

I enjoy Marmite - and indeed, I even pay over-the-odds to have it air-freighted to me here in Moscow, where it's not on sale at all.

I should also add that goat's cheese is another permanent item in our fridge. Brynza has always been popular in E Europe, and the brynzas made from goat's and sheep's milk are some of the best of all  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »

Since the magnificent comestible Marmite has been raised elsewhere in a somewhat offtopic manner...   it seemed appropriate to dedicate a thread in praise of this fine foodstuff.

I enjoy Marmite - and indeed, I even pay over-the-odds to have it air-freighted to me here in Moscow, where it's not on sale at all.

I should also add that goat's cheese is another permanent item in our fridge. Brynza has always been popular in E Europe, and the brynzas made from goat's and sheep's milk are some of the best of all  :)
You have drawn favourable attention here to two of the four foodstuffs that are perhaps the most anathematic and repulsive of all to me, the other two being papaya and beer of any kind. The fact the Antipodean version of the first named, namely Vegemite, is arguably even worse than Marmite does little to impact upon this view. The sheer aroma of all of them utterly sickens me and the taste of each is such as to make it impossible for me to hold any of them down without throwing up. I've never tried a goat's cheese from anywhere that I could stomach, although I have very much enjoyed some sheep's cheeses, most notably some of the best of the really hard nutty-flavoured English ones. I cannot help but think that the Muscovites show wisdom in declining to import Marmite and am sorry that this fact obligates you to shell out arms and legs to have it sent over to you there. Were I to set eyes upon a goat that had strayed into the garden here I'd want to reach for the gun, except that goats' meat is perfectly acceptable whereas their dairy produce is, to me, utterly revolting. Someone said to me some time ago that he wondered how I would ever manage to settle in rural France where it's against the law not to eat goat's cheese, not to keep a dog and not to smoke French cigarettes; I replied that rural France had many other attractions and that breaching the law is in any case of no consequence unless and until one suffers the misfortune of being found out for having done so!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »

My other half would claim that my liking for goat's cheeses is so great, that if I spot them on the menu of any cafe or restaurant I look no further, and immediately have that dish. If only dishes with Marmite were so prevalent :))

There are indeed a number of rather nice sheep's cheeses from Wales :)

I'm not really sure how people function without Marmite - especially those in the creative spheres? It's not only tasty and nutritious - it's also extremely convenient. What could be nicer than coming home late after a long show - and having a couple of slices of toast with Marmite? :)  Optionally, ehem, with beer :)  (Let us say that the papaya is optional in this case).

Also, being a vegetarian, a jar of Marmite tucked in the haversack means that supper is guaranteed in even the most carnivorous of locales :)  And it doesn't require refrigeration, and it never goes off :)  (Which means even the Russian Postal Service - rarely renowned for speed or efficiency - can be used for delivery).
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:52:52 pm »

My other half would claim that my liking for goat's cheeses is so great, that if I spot them on the menu of any cafe or restaurant I look no further, and immediately have that dish.
Well, someone has to, I guess!

If only dishes with Marmite were so prevalent :))
I couldn't possibly comment, since it would not maatter ne jot how prevalent they might be, I could not be iunduced to partake of one!

There are indeed a number of rather nice sheep's cheeses from Wales :)
Indeed - as well as Lord of the Hundreds from East Sussex and especially Berkswell from Berkswell, near Coventry (of all places).

I'm not really sure how people function without Marmite - especially those in the creative spheres?
I've never found any difficulty in doing so and I'm in the creative sphere myself, as you know; any foodstuff likely to induce throwing up over one's manuscript paper is surely the very opposite of a creative aid?

It's not only tasty and nutritious - it's also extremely convenient.
Nutritious it may be (although it hardly has the monopoly on that) and tasty it might also be, provided that one can bear the taste, which I cannot; I loathe the stuff with such a vengeance that, like beers, papaya and some goat's cheeses, I have only inhale within a metre or two of it to become instantly queasy!

What could be nicer than coming home late after a long show - and having a couple of slices of toast with Marmite? :)
Since forum posts do not allow space for lists long enough to answer your question here, I shall have to content myself with "almost anything!".

Optionally, ehem, with beer :)
Provided that one first dons a face mask before pouring the beer into the marmite and then disposing of the revolting mix down the waste disposal unit, methinks!

Let us say that the papaya is optional in this case.
Let us say that it is optional in every case! I do realise that papaya is incredibly nutritious but I have to admit that, were it a matter of life and death, I think that I'd start coil shuffling!

Also, being a vegetarian, a jar of Marmite tucked in the haversack means that supper is guaranteed in even the most carnivorous of locales :)
As a vegetarian (which I am only on certain unspecified days of the week), I'd have thought that you'd have a preference for Vegemite...

and it never goes off
As it seems to me as though it's always "off" from the very outset, I agree that it doesn't "go" off(!)

Which means even the Russian Postal Service - rarely renowned for speed or efficiency - can be used for delivery.
Perhaps the Mongolian mail service might be better, as the stuff might never turn up at all! That said, I do sometimes wonder if those who "run" the mail "service" here in Herefordistan were trained in Yakutsk or somewhere...
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »

I've been induced to try Vegemite in the past, but I can't say I prefer it.  I think both products are fully vegan in nature anyhow :)

In the hiatus between our posts, I happened to be in the kitchen - where I made a small status survey, to confirm that there are at least four large plastic squeezy containers (they weigh less in the post than glass jars, and are less breakable) of Marmite in reserve. A reassuring feeling, I find! Come wind, come destitution, we shall be succoured nonetheless :)

In addition to its primary use spread on bread or toast, I find Marmite makes a rather handy veggie substitute for beef stock in recipes like French Onion Soup. Just this afternoon I used a squirt to enrich a wintery vegetarian borsch :)

It can also be used to fill scratches in the enamel of our somewhat battle-scarred grand piano at home - a fine instrument from the Lechleiter workshops of pre-Revolutionary St Petersburg. A squirt of Marmite can be smoothed into the scratch, where it dries smoothly and can be buffed over with a daub of black shoe-polish. I somehow doubt this is an application for the product that is in general currency.
Report Spam   Logged
Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:57:48 pm »

Does this mean I needn't bring you any when I next play in Moscow? (Although I've not seen it on sale in my current country of residence, I must add.)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:49 pm »

(Although I've not seen it on sale in my current country of residence, I must add.

Why - is there hope you might be bringing your pianism to Moscow in the foreseeable future?  :)

Indeed, Tesco at your end have proven a dire disappointment in the Marmite department.

Research leads me to believe there is hope to bolster reserves during our upcoming New Year sojourn in Berlin? I found Marmite during a New Year's trip to Amsterdam two years ago - although only in tiddly little jars in Albert Heim, which were emptied before we even reached Schipjhol Airport :)

Two of the jars in our current supply were purchased in Sainsbury's in Cowley Road :) (Along with a jar of marmalade - we can get German marmalade in Moscow - but it's a bit on the sweet side for my taste, and not enough peel). Following in the wake of a travelling dramatic soprano has certain fringe benefits of that kind ;)  I must make sure that any of her upcoming engagements and roles are in countries and cities of more certain Marmite availability - it's a very important issue, after all!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »

I've been induced to try Vegemite in the past
I'd have to be forced at gunpoint and would still try to resist!

but I can't say I prefer it
I can't say what i think of it either because I'd be censured here! (and, I think, quite rightly so)...

In the hiatus between our posts, I happened to be in the kitchen - where I made a small status survey, to confirm that there are at least four large plastic squeezy containers (they weigh less in the post than glass jars, and are less breakable) of Marmite in reserve. A reassuring feeling, I find! Come wind
Yes, very probably!

In addition to its primary use spread on bread or toast, I find Marmite makes a rather handy veggie substitute for beef stock in recipes like French Onion Soup. Just this afternoon I used a squirt to enrich a wintery vegetarian borsch :)
I'm looking away from your post as I read it!...

It can also be used to fill scratches in the enamel of our somewhat battle-scarred grand piano at home - a fine instrument from the Lechleiter workshops of pre-Revolutionary St Petersburg. A squirt of Marmite can be smoothed into the scratch, where it dries smoothly and can be buffed over with a daub of black shoe-polish. I somehow doubt this is an application for the product that is in general currency.
Almost certainly not, but at least you've found a constructive use for it (assuming that it works) which is more than most people have ever managed to do!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »

(Although I've not seen it on sale in my current country of residence, I must add.

Why - is there hope you might be bringing your pianism to Moscow in the foreseeable future?  :)
I very much hope so!

Indeed, Tesco at your end have proven a dire disappointment in the Marmite department.
Well, apparently Tesco now have over 400 stores and nearly 30,000 employees in Poland and claim to serve more than 5m customers per week, so they do seem almost to have taken over the world - but I can only think that these statistics might indirectly suggest that the absence of Marmite in Polish Tesco outlets demonstrates the wisdom of the Poles!

Research leads me to believe there is hope to bolster reserves during our upcoming New Year sojourn in Berlin? I found Marmite during a New Year's trip to Amsterdam two years ago - although only in tiddly little jars in Albert Heim, which were emptied before we even reached Schipjhol Airport :)
I'm not sure that Marmitophilia has yet ascended to the status of inclusion in the OED but your post could rather worryingly be taken to imply that it might only be a matter of time...

Two of the jars in our current supply were purchased in Sainsbury's in Cowley Road :) (Along with a jar of marmalade - we can get German marmalade in Moscow - but it's a bit on the sweet side for my taste, and not enough peel). Following in the wake of a travelling dramatic soprano has certain fringe benefits of that kind ;)  I must make sure that any of her upcoming engagements and roles are in countries and cities of more certain Marmite availability - it's a very important issue, after all!
Hmmm - this relationship between sopranos and Marmite is a phenomenon that has never crossed my path or entered into my consciousness and, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather prefer to keep it that way, thanks! The prospect of mellifluously stratospheric pianissimo top Ds being brought down by a jar of foul smelling dark brown sludge with a garish yellow lid is quite simply too much to bear contemplating!...

Mindful of my rueful observation about the British Home Secretary "Theresa May, but I wouldn't", I am inclined to say "Marmite, but I couldn't possibly"...

Sorry - must end my post now - suddenly feeling nauseous!...
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 01:25:32 am »

Marmite is on sale in Japan, even in my home city of Fujisawa, but one pays over the odds, so I always bring back a large one or ask friends to do so when they visit the UK. Vegemite is far inferior, in my opinion, though Australian friends would strongly disagree.

Goat's cheese is available here, but not very easily.

I'm guessing than Neil would also enjoy (and Ahinton would not) the local fermented soya beans known as natto, with a pungent aroma. Very good for one's health as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 10:52:01 am »

I'm guessing than Neil would also enjoy (and Ahinton would not) the local fermented soya beans known as natto, with a pungent aroma. Very good for one's health as well.

Mmmm, that sounds rather tasty, Jim? :)  We have a Japanese delicatessen here, at Prospekt Mira - I'll enquire for it there :)  I once tried tempeh, although I didn't really see the attraction of that ;)
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 10:59:39 am »

I cannot presume to speak for Neil (and he's now spoken for himself anyway!) but your guess is right where I'm concerned; I've tried it but once and that was enough, to be honest!

To return to Marmite (if one must!), it's just another Unilever product (although I don't believe that Procter & Gamble market a Pepsi-competitor one) - see http://www.unilever.co.uk/brands-in-action/detail/Marmite/293688/ ; maybe it's useful for clearing blocked drains or unblocking clogged under-sink pipework...
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 11:36:03 am »

You have drawn favourable attention here to two of the four foodstuffs that are perhaps the most anathematic and repulsive of all to me, the other two being papaya and beer ..................
At this point you lost me.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 06:28:25 pm »

You have drawn favourable attention here to two of the four foodstuffs that are perhaps the most anathematic and repulsive of all to me, the other two being papaya and beer ..................
At this point you lost me.
How come? What I wrote seems easy enough to understand, surely, even if you might happen not to agree with all or some of it?

Anyway - "Marmite is to food what Merzbow is to music: discuss".

...or not...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: