The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:06:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is the market for new classical releases drying up??

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the market for new classical releases drying up??  (Read 1148 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 04:56:08 pm »

All of the points made in the last two posts are valid.

Unlike Neil I DO like recorded music. I am also prepared to pay for it, admittedly because I can afford to do so (just ;D). Yes, I have a huge amount of music acquired through the generosity of others from off-air recordings or of old LPS. If an orchestral work is available on cd however I will buy it in that format in at least 90% of all cases even if I have an off-air recording.

Others, on limited budgets, cannot do so and I respect that. Young people who are into popular music are downloading music from the net in huge quantities because, in most cases, they have less disposable income and, as has been said, this is doing huge damage to the market for cds of popular music.

We are an ungrateful lot sometimes-and I put myself at the head of that column ;D We do need to reflect on the incredible amount of "obscure music" which has made it to cd over the past 20 years-far, far more than I would have dreamed possible in my wildest imaginings back in, say, 1990.

Of course we want more -I definitely want much much more ;D  I hope to live long enough to see some of it on disc.

Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:51 pm »

Others, on limited budgets, cannot do so and I respect that. Young people who are into popular music are downloading music from the net in huge quantities because, in most cases, they have less disposable income and, as has been said, this is doing huge damage to the market for cds of popular music.

Well, yes, but there are differences between classical and popular music as well.  One of the reasons I like my classical discs is I get liner notes with them.  Track listings, too - that sort of thing.  That's not really as important with pop releases, I should think.  Also, there's the fact that each individual track on a pop disc is usually an individual number, whereas that's not always the case for classical releases.  I also think that DJing has changed the way people think of pop albums - it's more usual now to have a mix of styles and artists being played at once rather than an entire set of one particular artist.  The way of listening has changed immeasurably in the past decade, and that more than anything has changed the face of popular music.  Classical hasn't quite caught up yet, for a number of reasons.

# distribution policies on the sale of discs and other commercial media which border on criiminally insane. Amazon wrote to me a month ago, saying that my order was cancelled and my card would be refunded "because we have reason to believe you intend to use these items outside the UK"  ::)

Interesting...because I haven't encountered that problem before.  (That being said, I don't tend to purchase much through non-American sources, so I can't say whether I've been lucky or not.  The few times I have, there's been no trouble to speak of.)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:25 am »

There are lots of factors:

# a widespread opinion that you don't need to buy music at all now, just grab it for free on the internet. (This is an impression officially touted by corporations like Apple, for example).

That's not the impression I get, Apple sells DRM music at $16.99 an album on iTunes, whereas classics online sells music for $9.99 an album non DRM. Apple are hardly giving it away.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:11 am »

Apple are hardly giving it away.

Of course, they changed their tune when they saw the chance to earn a buck ;) 
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »

Years ago, when I worked in publishing, the big news was that a couple of distributors to bookstores were demanding unheard of discounts that were forcing publishers of items for college educated readers to raise their prices to a point that might scare off college educated readers, many of whom don't make college-educated salaries.

Today those discounts look small compared to the discounts Amazon and similar online channels demand. In short, it's hard for a label like CPO, much less Alba, to break even on anything where the recording requires union scale for dozens if not scores of musicians.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:20 am »

yes..I remember when I bought Tubin's music series from Alba.. it wasn't cheap.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:29 pm »

Years ago, when I worked in publishing, the big news was that a couple of distributors to bookstores were demanding unheard of discounts that were forcing publishers of items for college educated readers to raise their prices to a point that might scare off college educated readers, many of whom don't make college-educated salaries.

Today those discounts look small compared to the discounts Amazon and similar online channels demand. In short, it's hard for a label like CPO, much less Alba, to break even on anything where the recording requires union scale for dozens if not scores of musicians.

No....that's where CPO has a huge advantage ;D If you look at the back of most of their cd cases you will see that the recordings are co-productions with German radio stations. The normal arrangement-certainly as it applies in the UK and, I understand, Germany-is that radio orchestras have broadcasts and recordings written into their contracts. So CPO will be getting these recordings at a much cheaper rate than if they were employing an orchestra to record the music in a studio exclusively for cd release.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »

yes.. case in point... ERSO;   Melodiya only released a fraction of their recordings from the recording studio and live broadcasts over the radio.   Same with Belorusian Radio and TV Symphony Orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:15 am »

I suspect an entirely different arrangement will have existed in the former Soviet Union.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: