The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:17:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Radio Moscow listeners on shortwave radio ??

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Moscow listeners on shortwave radio ??  (Read 410 times)
guest377
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:06 am »

Back in the 1970s I used to listen to Radio Moscow as they used to play lots of Moscow Radio Symphonic Orchestra music..some new and some classics like Shostokovich..... and some new Soviet composers of the 1960s and 1970s,....  wonder if anyone has any old tape recordings from Radio Moscow??

btw... what is the theme song they played??

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:23:56 am »

Ah, those were the days, eh?  Or, well, perhaps not ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »

I used to drive my parents round the twist listening to this on my transistor radio. Moscow nights (remember the balalaika,bit and the bit where the orchestra goes into 'overdrive' with those brassy bits?). Followed by the 'Kremlin chimes' and that sinister sounding voice announcing "This is Radio Moscow Worrrld Serrvice!' Wow! Listening across enemy lines. Exciting stuff for a teenager who found politics very boring and dx'ing distant stations and supposedly interesting messages,let alone all the wierd static,chirping,whistling sounds and those genuinely creepy 'Numbers stations' (still a mystery today;if you haven't heard of them try 'googling' 'Numbers Stations'.Yes,there really are seriously wierd things going on that governments don't tell us about!*) strangely fascinating!! Radio Moscow,in some ways,a sort of 70s equivalent of Lord Haw-Haw (my grandfather,likewise,used to torture his family by listening to his broadcasts) in terms of a subversive listening experience!

Oh,and don't forget good old 'Moscow Mailbag!' Wierd too how the Voice of Russia seemed to (initially,at least) use so many of the old commie era presenters!

*"serously wierd things going on that goverments don't tell us about?" What am I saying?! Of course there are!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

ah... yes the Moscow Mailbag..... they read one of my letters over the air.... wow...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: