The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:45:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Obscure Russian/Soviet Piano Concertos

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure Russian/Soviet Piano Concertos  (Read 1791 times)
guest377
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:37:42 pm »

Thought I would start a thread on Favorite Rare Russian/Soviet Piano Concertos; however, I realize after reading everyone posts over the year, that we would all pass a music appreciation class with A+’s

Here is my short list:

Alexandrov
Auster
Barisons
Darzins
Feinberg
Garuta
Gasanov (Hasanov)
Lemba No 1
Lyatoshinsky
Medins (Janis)
Rakov No 1 and 2
Taktakishvili No 1
Tcherepnin, N.
Tobias
Vasilenko
Zilinskis

any thoughts??
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

Great thread! I would agree with you on all the ones you listed that I've heard (the Medins is especially wonderful). These are also great:

Medtner 1-3 (obscure enough?)
Liapunov 1 and 2
Dobrowen
Bortkiewicz 1-3
Kosenko
Machavariani
Levina 1 and 2
Amirov/Nazirova (Concerto on Arabian Themes)
Catoire
Golubev 1-3
Ivanovs
Galynin 1
Adigezalov 3 and 4
Gazizov
Lepin 3
Kos-Anatolsky
Nikolayeva 1

At least here I can make lists, unlike at a certain other place......
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:20 pm »

Great thread! I would agree with you on all the ones you listed that I've heard (the Medins is especially wonderful). These are also great:

Liapunov 1 and 2
Dobrowen
Bortkiewicz 1-3
Kosenko
Machavariani
Levina 1 and 2
Catoire
Golubev 1-3
Ivanovs
Galynin 1
Adigezalov 3 and 4
Gazizov
Lepin 3
Kos-Anatolsky
Nikolayeva 1

Ah.... yes the Nikolayeva... probably the most obscure piece of music of all time.... recorded in the pre Melodiya era  on a 78 from what I read.... or maybe one of those thick super heavy 33's where the needle falls of the platter if you don't hold it just right...(sound familiar?)   If it wasn't for the internet, we would have never heard it.

great list !!

sent from my iPhone
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »

ahh..  there is a book called Russian Piano Concerto by Norris that has a great analysis of these PfConcertos.
Starting with  Rubinstein.. thru the 1960s I recall. 
that reminds me of a list I have of Russian/Soviet composer and their works.....

sent from my iPhone
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »

Liapunov 1 and 2
Dobrowen
Bortkiewicz 1-3
Kosenko
Machavariani
Levina 1 and 2
Catoire
Golubev 1-3
Ivanovs
Galynin 1
Adigezalov 3 and 4
Gazizov
Lepin 3
Kos-Anatolsky
Nikolayeva 1

Reasons for names chosen,please?! Otherwise this becomes just another extremely interesting,thought provoking list! ;D ;)
Although writing out my shopping list today I can see their point.

1pt of milk,because it's full of calcium and I need it in my tea
1 loaf of bread,because I need something to go around my cheese!
1 pkt of tea,because I'm addicted to it!

It helps to know! ;D

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »

Reasons for names chosen,please?! Otherwise this becomes just another extremely interesting,thought provoking list! ;D ;)

You scared me there for a second, cilgwyn ;D I was beginning to think one of the UC moderators had dropped by for a visit ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:51:35 pm »

Ah.... yes the Nikolayeva... probably the most obscure piece of music of all time

If it was the most obscure piece of all time, then why is there a recording available of it? ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »

Ah.... yes the Nikolayeva... probably the most obscure piece of music of all time

If it was the most obscure piece of all time, then why is there a recording available of it? ;)

I didn't think there was a recording available on the market at this time??  (Nikolayeva).. if there is a Naxos/Chandos/Hyperion/whatever.. version let me know.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:46 am »

I didn't think there was a recording available on the market at this time??  (Nikolayeva).. if there is a Naxos/Chandos/Hyperion/whatever.. version let me know.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the recording posted on YouTube comes from a Melodiya LP (according to Mike Herman's discography).
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:14 am »

Just listened on YT to the Piano Concerto by Soviet composer Eugene Stikhin (b. 1932?), on whom there is virtually no information to be found on the Web. The PC is overall a rather individual work, despite being influenced by Prokofiev in parts, and contains some rather powerful passages.
Report Spam   Logged
musiclover33
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:10 am »

Ah.... yes the Nikolayeva... probably the most obscure piece of music of all time....

I've a recording of Tatiana Nikolayeva's second piano concerto in E-flat major, op. 32 (1966). I'm going to upload it, if you're interested...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:08 pm »

You scared me there for a second, cilgwyn ;D I was beginning to think one of the UC moderators had dropped by for a visit ;D

yes me too... that used to annoy me with the UC moderator getting into arguments with the posters.. of why their comments were worthless... after a little of this going on, I quite going there.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

I would add
David Toradze (father of the well known pianist Alexander) Piano Concerto.
I have heard it in an actual concerto, played by .....Alexander Toradze.
It was just the opposite of an "apparatus" work.
It reminded me a little (but sounded better) Andrč Previn Piano Concerto.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:21:39 pm »

I own the Nikolayeva Melodiya and it is about an inch thick  :), it is clean and well preserved but still sounds pretty crappy--same sound as the one on youtube. I had a request in to a Moscow record seller for several years before I got it. I would like to hear it in a modern clean version because in spite of my obsession to get it, I have never really enjoyed it all that much. I don't think it is necessarily a barn-burner, but I am glad to have it just as homage to Madame Nikolayeva. There are some youtubes of her playing, and the Tchaikovsky No. 1 by her was glorious for me--watching her make such big beautiful sounds with her little fingers and her beautiful smile charmed me! In some thread someone brought to our attention that you could look up composers by country on classical-online.ru, and I went through the Russian and some former soviet union countries and actually found a few concertos by composers I had never heard of before such as Igor Yakushenko, Alexsei Nikolaev, Victor Miniotas--'twas fun.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »

I own the Nikolayeva Melodiya and it is about an inch thick  :), it is clean and well preserved but still sounds pretty crappy--same sound as the one on youtube. I had a request in to a Moscow record seller for several years before I got it. I would like to hear it in a modern clean version because in spite of my obsession to get it, I have never really enjoyed it all that much. I don't think it is necessarily a barn-burner, but I am glad to have it just as homage to Madame Nikolayeva. There are some youtubes of her playing, and the Tchaikovsky No. 1 by her was glorious for me--watching her make such big beautiful sounds with her little fingers and her beautiful smile charmed me! In some thread someone brought to our attention that you could look up composers by country on classical-online.ru, and I went through the Russian and some former soviet union countries and actually found a few concertos by composers I had never heard of before such as Igor Yakushenko, Alexsei Nikolaev, Victor Miniotas--'twas fun.

is that one a 78?  made from Shellac?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: