The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:48:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Weinberg: Symphony no. 12 etc. from Naxos

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weinberg: Symphony no. 12 etc. from Naxos  (Read 1665 times)
kyjo
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:39:06 am »

The Weinberg renaissance continues:

Symphony no. 12 In Memoriam D. Shostakovich, op. 144; The Golden Key-Ballet Suite no. 4, op. 55d; St. Petersburg State SO/Vladimir Lande

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573085

The Twelfth Symphony, written in response to Shostakovich's death, is a substantial work at 57 minutes' length. The suite from The Golden Key is, as to be expected, much lighter fare.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:43:56 am »

I'm pretty sure I saw Symphony 12 on an Olympia release, coupled with 7—didn't get it because expensive, and I already had 7 from Chandos. Will sample this on NML whenever it makes it to that service. (Wonder if the "Op. 144" is a coincidence, 12 x 12 and also the opus of Shosty's last quartet... >.>)

I wonder how much of the Weinberg being released by the Naxos/Chandos CD train is previously unrecorded? Melodiya got most of the symphonies back in the day, right?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:00:00 am »

I never invested in any of the Olympia Weinberg recordings, so I don't mind duplicates. The Weinberg symphonies that await their first recordings are:

no. 9 Everlasting Times for narrator, chorus and orchestra, op. 93
no. 11 Festive Symphony for chorus and orchestra, op. 101
no. 13, op. 115
no. 15 I Believe in This Earth for soprano, baritone, womens' chorus, and orchestra, op. 119
no. 21 Kaddish, op. 154

The symphonies recorded by Olympia but have not yet received a modern recording are:

no. 10 for chamber orchestra, op. 98
no. 17 Memory, op. 137
no. 18 War-there is no word more cruel for chorus and orchestra, op. 138

I also see there is an OOP Russian Disc recording of no. 12.
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:11:48 am »

Could have been Russian Disc; all I remember was that the pairing was 7, it was one of those "1 new from $527.81" things and I was in my scrupulous duplicate-avoiding phase (even to the point of deleting "extra" recordings of the same piece from my computer whenever I found them).

no. 17 Memory, op. 137

Actually, that one's on the NEOS Weinberg Edition, vol. 2 (recorded at the 2010 festival of his music in Vienna that kicked this whole renaissance off, iirc). Good symphony, worth hearing, though a bit pricey for 50 minutes (it's also on NML if you have that).

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:34:00 am »

Oh, forgot about those Neos recordings-the price tag has deterred me from purchasing them at the moment.

Most of Weinberg's later works I find rather "difficult" in their unrelenting blackness of mood. There are some who think Weinberg was a greater composer than Shostakovich and that his work digs deeper in emotional profundity than the more famous composer's. Sometimes, in his later works, I feel Weinberg dug just a little too deep! At least Shostakovich introduces irony from time to time to relieve any prolonged seriousness of mood. As with Pettersson, I have to be in the right mood to enjoy Weinberg's bleakest works.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:10 am »

Oh, forgot about those Neos recordings-the price tag has deterred me from purchasing them at the moment.

Most of Weinberg's later works I find rather "difficult" in their unrelenting blackness of mood. There are some who think Weinberg was a greater composer than Shostakovich and that his work digs deeper in emotional profundity than the more famous composer's. Sometimes, in his later works, I feel Weinberg dug just a little too deep! At least Shostakovich introduces irony from time to time to relieve any prolonged seriousness of mood. As with Pettersson, I have to be in the right mood to enjoy Weinberg's bleakest works.

Very largely agree with you Kyle. I have the Russian Disc of Weinberg's 12th Symphony, but do not remember liking it as much as nos 5 and 6, which are my favourites, along with the Piano Quintet - but I must listen to it again.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:04:50 pm »

I too own the Russian Disc of the 12th Symphony ("In memoriam D.Shostakovich"). BTW I paid it almost nothing and it was my first introduction to the Composer. I heard it several times and was very positively impressed and prompted to hear more Weinberg (now I own about twelve Cds).
The 12th appeared tough stuff compared to a relatively lightweight Flute Concerto (which was the coupling).
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:29 pm »

Yes, that man can get into some serious depression at times. I don't know most of the symphonies (17 is the only one of the late ones I've heard, along with 1, 6 and 7 and now 4) but have been collecting the string quartets, of which the standout disc so far is the one with quartets 2, 12 and 17—volume 6 of the CPO set, I think—12 is much as you say, harsh and unrelenting (though somewhat reminiscent of the Bartók quartets as well), but 2 is a very attractive work, an early masterpiece IMO, and 17 is atypically light and neoclassical for late Weinberg and also rather enjoyable. I'm looking forward to hearing nos 1, 3 and 10 (vol 5) and nos 4 and 16 (vol 1) which just landed.

side note for orchestral fans: String Quartets 2 and 3 were arranged for string orchestra to form the 1st and 2nd Chamber Symphonies, which some may find more or less appealing due to the larger forces, depending on temperament
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »

Yes, that man can get into some serious depression at times. I don't know most of the symphonies (17 is the only one of the late ones I've heard, along with 1, 6 and 7 and now 4) but have been collecting the string quartets, of which the standout disc so far is the one with quartets 2, 12 and 17—volume 6 of the CPO set, I think—12 is much as you say, harsh and unrelenting (though somewhat reminiscent of the Bartók quartets as well), but 2 is a very attractive work, an early masterpiece IMO, and 17 is atypically light and neoclassical for late Weinberg and also rather enjoyable. I'm looking forward to hearing nos 1, 3 and 10 (vol 5) and nos 4 and 16 (vol 1) which just landed.

The string quartets are a great cycle-I enjoy the earlier ones a lot, but, predictably, I find the later ones pretty tough going. I'll have to revisit no. 17 in particular. I hold his Piano Quintet in higher regard than any of the SQs-a tragic masterwork worthy of comparison with Shostakovich's work for the same forces.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »

The string quartets are a great cycle-I enjoy the earlier ones a lot, but, predictably, I find the later ones pretty tough going. I'll have to revisit no. 17 in particular. I hold his Piano Quintet in higher regard than any of the SQs-a tragic masterwork worthy of comparison with Shostakovich's work for the same forces.

While a solid diet of Vainberg may lead to a Schnittke-like state of deeression, much of his music does have a profound message and I bought every Olympia release of his symphonies that I could get my hands one. I have heard nothing to equal to his "Symphony no. 18 War-there is no word more cruel for chorus and orchestra, op. 138" as it was am absolute unforgettable experience for me. Say what you may about the famed Britten Requiem, this work understands the real horrors of war from someone who personally experienced it..
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 11:31:32 pm »

I've never heard no. 18. Let's hope Naxos or Chandos records it in due course (I don't doubt they will)!
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:57 am »

I've done some cursory searching, and it seems like most of those Olympia recordings have been floating around the internet for years—I don't know what our policy is on OOP recordings, so I won't upload any of them, but I suppose people are free to look for them on the "usual suspects" (classical-music-online.net, etc) if they so desire.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 04:20:10 am »

I too am fortunate enough to have in my collection the Olympia cds of the Weinberg Symphonies Nos. 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 18 and 19.

However much I welcome the Chandos, Neos and Naxos versions of the symphonies and obviously the fact that those which Olympia did not record are or will become available I must say that the Olympia recordings possess that uniquely raw Russian intensity which it is difficult now to replicate. Kondrashin, Svetlanov, Barshai and Maxim Shostakovich in particular brought that little something extra to their interpretations which bring out the passion in Weinberg's music which caused Shostakovich to admire it so much.

Ultimately however Shostakovich was the greater composer. Symphonies like the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 15th are towering masterpieces (albeit that Nos. 13 and 14 appeal slightly less to me, I can still acknowledge that they too are superb compositions). When one hears the 8th and 10th-in particular-one knows that one is in the presence of a rare symphonic genius which entitles the composer to stand with Mahler, Sibelius, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams as in the very first rank of 20th century composers.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:59 am »

Ultimately however Shostakovich was the greater composer. Symphonies like the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 15th are towering masterpieces (albeit that Nos. 13 and 14 appeal slightly less to me, I can still acknowledge that they too are superb compositions). When one hears the 8th and 10th-in particular-one knows that one is in the presence of a rare symphonic genius which entitles the composer to stand with Mahler, Sibelius, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams as in the very first rank of 20th century composers.

Totally agree! Only three of Weinberg's works-Symphonies 5 and 6 and the Piano Quintet-can even touch Shostakovich's genius IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:42 pm »

just picked it up.... great recording !!   

8.573085  Weinberg: Symphony No. 12 / The Golden Key Suite No. 4

Written in the style and spirit of Shostakovich, the work was composed in response to the death in August 1975 of his great friend and supporter. It is the longest and most wide-ranging of Weinberg's purely orchestral symphonies. Our recording was prepared utilising the composer's handwritten materials and markings. The Golden Key is one of two ballets of the composer. The remaining three suites will be recorded and released later in the series. Our Weinberg project has received great critical acclaim – BBC Music Magazine praised the performance of Symphony No. 8 as one of "searing intensity". This recording was also awarded a Diapason d'Or. Vladimir Lande, the conductor of this recording of No. 12 was praised by Gramophone as having "an understanding and fervour that is greatly superior to any of the recorded alternatives". Symphony No. 18 has already been recorded and will be released later this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: