The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:32:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"The Gramophone Magazine"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Gramophone Magazine"  (Read 2408 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »

CLOFO is an underrated resource,but a little too nice for me,I'm afraid. Musicweb and IRR Magazine get it about right for me! Although,I preferred Gramophone,in it's heyday,to IRR.A pity it can't still be rescued from those idiots and restored to it's former glory. They should have it taken off them. Vandals! Gramophone was an institution. As a teenager,I could hardly wait to get my hands on my copy! It was an event!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 10:30:31 am »

As it was to me, Cilgwyn.
I had an arrangement with a bookstore in Rotterdam, that they always kept a number for me. Later they told me they ordered the Gramphone specially for me. I was the only one who bought the magazine.
It was in those days prior to the cd. There were that marvelous record shops in London who advertised in the Gramophone. First I kept all the magazines, but years later I took the interesting pages out of it. Thanks to Gramophone I discovered Havergal Brian, who always remained a kind of a companion for me.
But, alas, the Gramophone became less interesting, AND the bookstore had to close its doors.

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:11 pm »

Cilgwyn, I think you'll empathise with many of the comments here (as will many of us) -

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2013/10/flash-gramophone-is-sold-off.html

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 11:09:07 pm »

Well,well,well!! :o It was just,sort of,going to happen,wasn't it. Now it's got another chance..................
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:30 pm »

We don't need Gramophine. We've got International Record Review, fully up to the standards Gramophone used to live up to.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 07:30:54 pm »

Interesting viewpoint! Even the name seems outdated. Although,IRR includes the word record of course. Mind you Lps are still being manufactured.......but gramophones!! Of course,if you call it anything else it wouldn't be Gramophone!! In fact I wouldn't care to post the names I have given to the Haymarket version. Some of them are pretty fruity!
IRR certainly does the job as erato has pointed out. Do we need it,even if it can be improved upon? Particurlarly,if we're already into a subscription!
Having said that,if the new owners do restore it to it's former glory I'm quite happy with that. I'm just a little dubious,that's all. Magazines are all such glossy dumbed down rags these days;and IRR Magazine has sort of cornered it's market. It will have to be very good for us to abandon our beloved IRR Magazine for Gramophone!!
Maybe they could bring back 'Records & Recording','Short Wave Magazine','Lilliput' and 'Shiver and Shake' (darn,I'm too old for that one! :() while they're at it!! ;D

On the other hand,maybe I'll be able to buy the new improved Gramophone from my local,independent newsagent,instead of having to receive it by post! Hint! Hint!

NB: Hope they bring back 'Quarterly retrospect'. Oh,and no silly cover mount cds! ;D (Although the original Gramophone ones were useful for replacing damaged ones)

Ok,got the post right,at last!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: