The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:13:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Keith Burstein (1957-): Symphony "Elixir" etc. from Naxos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keith Burstein (1957-): Symphony "Elixir" etc. from Naxos  (Read 1875 times)
kyjo
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:55:22 am »

Burstein is a contemporary British composer whose name is new to me. Naxos will be releasing an intriguing disc of his orchestral music in the near future:

Symphony Elixir; Songs of Love and Solitude for mezzo-soprano and orchestra; Rita Novikaite, mezzo; Kansas City SO/composer

From the Naxos website:

Responding to the music of Keith Burstein’s Symphony ‘Elixir’, critic David Sonin described the composer as “a contemporary master of tonality”. Burstein was encouraged by conductor Vladimir Ashkenazy to develop the work beyond its many-layered and dynamically driven first movement, which was  conceived as a Concerto for Orchestra. He added a second Adagio movement with its long soaring melody and polyphonic counter-themes,and gathered the disparate elements of these movements into a final scintillating dance. The Songs of Love and Solitude were written to compliment the symphony, their twelve fleeting visions implying hidden dramas which range in experience from tempestuous darkness to serenity and acceptance.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=9.70167

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:00 am »

I'm surprised that his name is unfamiliar to you. He's been quite prominent at times.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Burstein
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:31:39 pm »

Hmm.

The Wikipedia article was, I suspect, written by the composer himself or someone very close to him, given its length and detail. I note that he sued the owners of the London 'Evening Standard' over comments in its review of his opera "Manifest Destiny". To be fair to the Wikipedia article however it does include both favourable and unfavourable comments about Burstein's music. There is clearly a very considerable subtext here.

I am intrigued about the reasoning behind the Naxos recording. The music may well turn out to be very attractive and impressive......so I shall reserve further comment :)
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:53:39 pm »

It's a somewhat lengthy entry, isn't it?

Burstein has cropped up on this board before - http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,344.msg2057.html#msg2057
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: