The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:28:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A vast Louis Vuitton suitcase on Red Square

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A vast Louis Vuitton suitcase on Red Square  (Read 1010 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:42:55 pm »

A sales pavilion has been erected on Red Square, in the shape of a giant Louis Vuitton suitcase.

Apparently the pavilion is to be temporary, running through until the end of the Russian Christmas in mid-January.

This disgraceful eyesore is pictured on this page. Muscovites are left angry and dismayed. No explanation of how this occurred has yet arisen. Probably ardent defenders of unrestrained free enterprise can explain this to the rest of us?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:17 pm »

A sales pavilion has been erected on Red Square, in the shape of a giant Louis Vuitton suitcase.

Apparently the pavilion is to be temporary, running through until the end of the Russian Christmas in mid-January.

This disgraceful eyesore is pictured on this page. Muscovites are left angry and dismayed. No explanation of how this occurred has yet arisen. Probably ardent defenders of unrestrained free enterprise can explain this to the rest of us?

I'm sure the goverment has had equally distasteful displays of mindless propaganda in the past.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:45:02 am »

Horrendous ::)

From the angle the photograph was taken it appears to dwarf even the walls of the Kremlin-though I can't think that is true ???

Tell me, since it was in 1991 and 1993 that I last visited Moscow, is the GUM Department Store still as grand but still as smelly inside ???
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:47:24 am »

Horrendous ::)

From the angle the photograph was taken it appears to dwarf even the walls of the Kremlin-though I can't think that is true ???

Tell me, since it was in 1991 and 1993 that I last visited Moscow, is the GUM Department Store still as grand but still as smelly inside ???
please explain, how does all this relate to music?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:13 am »

please explain, how does all this relate to music?

This is the Architecture section. Part of the "Other Arts" area of these messageboards.

It says so above.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

........and, on the subject of architecture, the GUM shopping centre, Neil........... ???
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:11 pm »

........and, on the subject of architecture, the GUM shopping centre, Neil........... ???

I typed a longish reply, then I got timed-out by the site server and I lost it :(

Anyhow yes, GUM... large C19th shopping arcade, restored to its former glory now. Lots of pretentious international brands there, but also a couple of nice patisseries with views of Red Square (a nice way to treat guests to the city)...  and the old art-deco Cinema Hall has been restored, programming art-house films these days.  So not an entirely reprehensible place at all :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:18:17 pm »

sorry, did not know this section existed..
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:00:07 am »

I typed a longish reply, then I got timed-out by the site server and I lost it :(

Anyhow yes, GUM... large C19th shopping arcade, restored to its former glory now. Lots of pretentious international brands there, but also a couple of nice patisseries with views of Red Square (a nice way to treat guests to the city)...  and the old art-deco Cinema Hall has been restored, programming art-house films these days.  So not an entirely reprehensible place at all :)

And-one suspects-full of shops stocking goods which many Muscovites will be unable to afford :(

I vividly recall, back in 1991, taking around 40 16-17 year old school students to Moscow and St. Petersburg(one month before the coup against Gorbachev-good timing ;D). While in Moscow we "arranged" an evening at the Bolshoi Ballet. The tickets arrived as we were preparing to leave our hotel. They were brought by a man in a leather overcoat who screamed up in his car at the hotel door and, somewhat furtively, shoved the tickets into the hands of our guide. All deeply suspicious ;D ;D

I wonder how much has changed ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:52 am »

And-one suspects-full of shops stocking goods which many Muscovites will be unable to afford :(

Agreed :)  But on the other hand - how many Londoners do their weekly shop at Fortnum & Mason's ;)  Nor is the economic situation of the majority of Muscovites that parlous, in fact.  At more sensibly-priced shopping centres - I like "Metropolis", which is at Voikovskaya metro station - there are thronging crowds packed into mid-price shops like Zara, Gap and so on.  And these really are 'majority Muscovites'. 

"Shopping Centres" are very popular in Russia because of the climate - it's winter here for 5 months of the year, so wandering around freezing your fingers off outdoors isn't conducive to "retail therapy". 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: