The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:03:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Why the Baltic and Slavic countries not promoting their music? A Wonder.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Baltic and Slavic countries not promoting their music? A Wonder.  (Read 2520 times)
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »

I realize I may be wading into somewhat murky territory here, but I shall wade away nonetheless.  ;D

The New Republic ran a fascinating article on this subject back in 2007, as it happens, within the context of postwar American politics:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/the-musical-mystique

I was most struck upon first reading it (a few years back, when Alex Ross linked it from his last blog) by the anecdote about George Benjamin and "the music of our time".  That has stuck with me because it's the flip side of the argument we're having - yes, classical music is no longer part of the mainstream of pop culture, but at least in part that's due to some classical musicians' insular attitudes.  (I feel that the academics of the 50's and 60's have a lot to answer for.)  If anything gives me hope, it's that a large body of composers are turning their back on such feelings and are looking for a way to genuinely connect with the contemporary listener.  Not all of them succeed, but enough do that I think we may be starting to see a way out of the wilderness.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: