The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:15:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Williamson Piano Concertos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williamson Piano Concertos  (Read 458 times)
guest251
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:44 am »

Just spotted this 2014 release on the Hyperion web site. I think there will be some eager takers for it here (unlike The Other Place)  ;)

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68011/2&vw=dc

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:56 am »

Very good news. Thank you!
I presume Chandos abandoned their projected Williamson series, like everything else. ???
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »

Astoundingly good news :)

The Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 4 have not been recorded before. And it is great to see that it is an Australian orchestra which is doing this double cd release :)

Now...how about some of the symphonies ???

Yes, Chandos did abandon their Williamson series after but two releases-shocking really :( >:(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

Wow! (as they say! ;D). Hope springs eternal. This is fantastic news and a 2cd set!! Not that I'm particularly 'into' Malcolm Williamson or familiar with his work;but,goodness me,this could be a very good place to start! And yes Dundonnell,believe it or not,I am  glad that Hyperion are issuing this instead of more Holbrooke! ;D
By the way,don't me too sure 'savoir_faire'. There may be some furtive orders from 'members' of the other place. A plain brown package through the door! Who's to know?!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »

:D :D good point cilgwyn! Who's to know indeed, but they'd better hope that Head Teacher AH doesn't find out, or he'll put them in detention!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »

Or likewise,I can get my furtive,sweaty hands on the latest Karl Jenkins magnum opus.........

I mean,whose to know?!! ??? :-[ ;D

(Gulp!! Where's that 'remove' button gone?!! ::) :()

Of course,you can get your 'plain brown paper' albums by download,now! No more wishing the earth would swallow you up when you're in the queue  buying ABBA or AC DC'S "If you want blood you've got it!" Not that I ever have,of course!! :o :o I mean......please!! Anyway,'headbanging' at my age makes me giddy!!

Seriously,I'm absolutely gobsmacked by this Hyperion release! This should cheer up allot of people here who are understandably downcast by the direction in which even the most usually adventurous labels have gone.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 03:49:25 am »

I didn't bother with Williamson for years, largely because he used to come to our school concerts and operas, as he lived nearby and we often performed him. He was not terribly well behaved, so I suppose I was put off. But this year I started listening, and my goodness, what a lot of loveliness I've been missing out on! An amazing melodic gift, a great sense of humour and real originality. I've been completely converted! This release will be on my list without a doubt!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: