The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:08:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Right Wing Music

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Right Wing Music  (Read 945 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 12:57:45 pm »

Am I alone in thinking that this is getting ridiculous ::) ???
With due apologies to Mr McG (whose tongue appears in any case to have been at least partly in his cheek when initiating this thread), didn't it actually start out that way rather than get that way?(!)...

I genuinely do not want to be rude to the thread starters or to those who have contributed. Most, if not all, of the contributions have been thoughtful and restrained. But I cannot but feel that characterising composers now as "right-wing" is really dangerous. Elgar was a child of his time. Late Victorian and Edwardian Britain did possess a vast Empire on which "the sun never set". There were few who regarded that as a thoroughly "bad thing" or that it would not last for more than a few more decades. In writing patriotic music celebrating "empire" Elgar was responding to the popular mood. We know that he came to hate the association of "Land of Hope and Glory" with the Pomp and Circumstance No.1.
Fair comment, I think although, apart from feeling some kind of apparent need to be regarded as a "pillar of the establishment" (for whatever reasons or none), it is hard to imagine what possessed him to write Fringes of the Fleet or Pageant of Empire - let alone the comically awful halfpenny-dreadful Crown of India - especially given that they are for the most part far from Elgar at his best. The so-called (and perhaps unfortunately titled) Pomp and Circumstance marches could as easily have been called Six Marches for orchestra (at least after Tony Payne had sorted out the last one) and the whiff of quasi-imperialist stigma that's clung about them would almost certainly have been a good deal less noticeable. In some senses, Elgar just wasn't cut out to become a "pillar of the establishment" anyway - a Roman Catholic in Protestant Britain from a "lower-middle-class" family who suffered many and frequent bouts of lack of confidence doesn't bode well for such candidature. He may in some ways have been "a child of his time", but his more overtly "English" music of all kinds is almost invariably below his best work; Gerontius was hardly typical "English" fare when it emerged, Alassio might as well have been titled Richard in Italy (or maybe In the Strauss) and the symphonies, concertos and chamber works just don't fit that kind of bill either - even Falstaff is "English" only on account of what it's "about". Elgar was, after all, once berated for paying scant attention to folk music in his work, to which he apparently retorted "I am one of the folk and I write music, therefore I write folk music", or some such. What music can seriously be regarded as "patriotic", still less "right-wing" in any case if it comes without words?

And if Elgar is to be characterised as "right-wing" (or Stanford as a supporter of the Union with Ireland) how are we to describe the Last Night of the Proms audiences who happily and enthusiastically sing along to "Land of Hope and Glory" or cheer "Rule Britannia" ??? Are they all "right-wing" too ??? Of course not!
True - but then the music of those pieces would not be thought of as such in any cas were it not for the words for which Arne's music was written or those that got stuck to Elgar's like so much excrement hitting the air-conditioning!

IF-and this needs to be demonstrably evident-a composer's music was fundamentally influenced by a particular political conviction then-and only then-do I see the need to understand and comment on that. Otherwise a composer's personal political views are of neglibile interest to me. My own views MAY be diametrically opposite to those of, say, Alan Bush.....but I can and will still appreciate and admire the music as appropriate to its intrinsic quality.
Fair comment -and when one remembers that Sorabji thought very highly of Bush's best music (the piano and violin concertos, Dialectic, Concert Piece for cello and piano and the symphonies) - and even (in fact especially) his final opera Joe Hill - any left-wing "value" that anyone might seek to place upon it falls flat on its ugly face.

Composers are also influenced and conditioned by their own emotional psyches. I have come to understand a little-probably in fact enough-of Benjamin Britten's emotional makeup to appreciate how it influenced the music he wrote. But there is a limit to how far I think this needs to be taken. What matters is the music itself and whether it is-crudely speaking-any good.
I would substitute "inevitably" and/or "invariably" for "also" in your first sentence above but, like you, that is, as Schönberg might have observed, a matter for "the composer's workshop".
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »

Sorry, I didn't wish to give the impression that I thought Elgar was extreme right wing or unpleasantly so, merely that he was distinctly right of centre, ie a supporter of the Conservatives rather than the Liberals. He was vehemently opposed to the anti-semitism of the Nazis, had no snobbery and was a moderate democratic sort of person. I was simply trying to think of people who were 'right' rather than 'left'. Holst was about as left as Elgar was right, ie pretty mildly. Your man with Teutonic sonatas is rather a different case, I think!
Only one such sonata, actually - and it might perhaps be as well to point out at this stage that John Powell was no relation of Jonathan Powell who has at least eight piano sonatas to his name, none of which are titularly or otherwise "Teutonic".
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »

Am I alone in thinking that this is getting ridiculous ::) ???
Mr McG (whose tongue appears in any case to have been at least partly in his cheek ...)

If not wholly...    8)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »

Thanks to Alistair for his comments on Elgar :) I think it entirely apposite to say that Elgar as "a pillar of the establishment" did not exactly fit the mould given his own personal background. His most obviously "patriotic" and "flag-waving" music is, as was pointed out, usually amongst his least inspired.

Oddly, Sir Hubert Parry, who came from the opposite end of the social spectrum and who wrote a number of Oratorios on religious subjects in the late 19th century for the great music festivals of the time had no religious faith and turned to choral music on decidedly non-religious subjects in the early 20th century.

One further observation. RVW's London Symphony is sometimes characterised as a nostalgic farewell to Edwardian Empire. Yet I doubt if the composer, who was decidedly again not "right-wing" (despite his own upper middle-class background), would necessarily have seen it as such. I wonder if we do not too often read into the music of a composer "meanings" and a subtext which the composer did not mean or intend. RVW used to get very irritated by such interpretations and assert with some indignation that he was writing music not a commentary on his times.
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »

Oddly, Sir Hubert Parry, who came from the opposite end of the social spectrum and who wrote a number of Oratorios on religious subjects in the late 19th century for the great music festivals of the time had no religious faith and turned to choral music on decidedly non-religious subjects in the early 20th century.

Well, can one not say the same about Vaughan Williams?  As I recall he was something of an agnostic in much of his private life, and yet I'd say he wrote some of the most intensely powerful religious music of the twentieth century.  One of my favorite stories about him, in fact, is that he prefaced the score of Sancta civitas with a quotation from Plato...if ever the Christian and non-Christian met in one score...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 07:09:58 pm »

Indeed, RVW wrote a huge amount of choral music which is most definitely religious in inspiration and purpose whilst claiming to be personally agnostic. His father was of course the Vicar of Down Ampney in Gloucestershire, although he died when Ralph was only three years old.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: