The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Arnold Rosner(1945-2013): R.I.P.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arnold Rosner(1945-2013): R.I.P.  (Read 1281 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:55:26 pm »

For the second time in a matter of days :(

The death is announced of that fine American composer Arnold Rosner at the age of only 68.

We know far too little Rosner because there is so little on disc....but I am listening now to his glorious modal Symphony No.5 "Missa sine Cantoribus super Salve Regina". What a splendid piece it is and how much one would like to hear more of Rosner's music.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:27 pm »

The death is announced of that fine American composer Arnold Rosner at the age of only 68.

We know far too little Rosner because there is so little on disc....but I am listening now to his glorious modal Symphony No.5 "Missa sine Cantoribus super Salve Regina". What a splendid piece it is and how much one would like to hear more of Rosner's music.

That would be the piece on Naxos, right?  Coupled with a work of Nicholas Flagello?  I remember being quite impressed with it upon first listen.

And so young, too - pity.  He always sounded older to me.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:42 pm »

What a pity Rosner did not get to see more of his beautiful music recorded :( RIP indeed :(
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »

This is terrible news..
Arnold Rosner is one of my very favorite composers and this world is a much darker place without him.
If there is any justice, his music will finally get the attention and recognition it certainly merits.
It has a pure, noble. majestic quality that uplifts the human spirit. It surely spoke to me, personally.
No gimmicks, clever titles or other superficialities, just pure accessable, tonal music.
Perhaps writing band music dimished his stature for the high-brows, I can see no other reason for his
lack of  recognition. Perhaps his death will draw attention to his lifelong work.
I for one, will miss him greatly..
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:31:28 pm »

Your assessment of Rosner is spot-on, Roger :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:02:32 am »

That would be the piece on Naxos, right?  Coupled with a work of Nicholas Flagello?  I remember being quite impressed with it upon first listen.

And so young, too - pity.  He always sounded older to me.

Yes...the Naxos disc.

What I did not realise until now is that the Symphony No.7 "The Tragedy of Queen Jane" is on an Albany cd. Michael Herman has missed that disc in his discography on Musicweb.
I MUST order this one :) 

PS: I got the last copy on Amazon.co.uk :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:46 am »

What I did not realise until now is that the Symphony No.7 "The Tragedy of Queen Jane" is on an Albany cd. Michael Herman has missed that disc in his discography on Musicweb.

Hmmmm.....that's unusual for Mike Herman to miss a CD recording in his amazingly comprehensive discographies, especially considering that he is aware of the existence of so many rare LPs!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:49 am »

Hmmmm.....that's unusual for Mike Herman to miss a CD recording in his amazingly comprehensive discographies, especially considering that he is aware of the existence of so many rare LPs!
I have some excepts from Queen Jane and I could swear they were entitled as orchestral excerpts from the opera of the same name.
Am I nuts?
I must have symphony 7 on Albany as well, where can I get it?  Amazon does not have it.
Rosner was prolific, his symphonic cycle would be a godsend..
http://phidler.com/rosner/
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:44:03 am »

Roger, here's the link to the Albany recording of Symphony no. 7 and other orchestral works: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000793TE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384656090&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:47:24 am »

Roger, here's the link to the Albany recording of Symphony no. 7 and other orchestral works: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000793TE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384656090&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Thanks for the link..
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:14:47 pm »

So sorry to hear this and am now playing the magnificent Symphony No 5. I emailed him to say how much I enjoyed it. He responded immediately and I had a lovely exchange of messages with him. There was even a tentative plan to meet if he came to England (I think that his sister lives over here). Sad that this is now not to be. His 'Responses, Hosanna and Fugue' on a super Kleos CD is also a very fine work.
RIP Arnold Rosner.

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/in-memoriam-arnold-rosner-1945-2013/
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:04 pm »

So sorry to hear this and am now playing the magnificent Symphony No 5. I emailed him to say how much I enjoyed it. He responded immediately and I had a lovely exchange of messages with him. There was even a tentative plan to meet if he came to England (I think that his sister lives over here). Sad that this is now not to be. His 'Responses, Hosanna and Fugue' on a super Kleos CD is also a very fine work.
RIP Arnold Rosner.

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/in-memoriam-arnold-rosner-1945-2013/

That is a really fine article by the ultimate authority on unsung American composers.  Warren Cohen, where are you ?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:06 pm »

I received today my copy of the Albany cd containing the Symphony No.7 "The Tragedy of Queen Jane"-which is magnificently modal(a la Symphony No.5, the Sephardic Rhapsody(which does sound very like Hovhaness) and the Concerto for Two Trumpets, Strings and Timpani.

Excellent cd :)

I now realise that the first four Rosner symphonies were in fact written between the ages of 16 and 19, so-perhaps-not really mature ??? but the Symphony No.6 of 1976 intrigues me.

In tribute to Rosner I have compiled my first new catalogue for a long time(I have been too busy with other enterprises ;D) and will post it here.
(I am aware that several of these catalogues need updating ::))
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »

Just ordered this. Thanks Colin.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: