The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:14:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

CPO Release Plans

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CPO Release Plans  (Read 3587 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 03:50:03 pm »

(I wrote this last night and inadvertently deleted it forcing me to do the work all over again :()

CPO have released complete symphonic cycles of the music of-

AUSTRIA: Ernst Krenek, Emil von Reznicek, Ernst Toch, Felix von Weingartner, Egon Wellesz
BRAZIL: Heitor Villa-Lobos
DENMARK: Hakon Borreson
FINLAND: Aulis Sallinen
FRANCE: Darius Milhaud
GERMANY: Ernst Pepping, Richard Wetz
ISRAEL: Josef Tal
ITALY: Franco Alfano
NETHERLANDS: Jan van Gilse
NORWAY: Christian Sinding
POLAND/U.K.: Sir Andrzej Panufnik
RUSSIA: Dmitri Kabalevsky
USA: George Antheil
SWEDEN: Kurt Atterberg, Wilhelm Peterson-Berger, Allan Pettersson, Ture Rangstrom, Dag Wiren
TURKEY: Ahmed Adnan Saygun
UNITED KINGDOM: Benjamin Frankel, Humphrey Searle

Cycles in progress:

AUSTRIA: Johann Nepomuk David (out of 8, 2 released, 4 due soon)
DENMARK: Louis Glass (out of 6, 1 released)
GERMANY: Felix Woyrsch (out of 6, 2 released)
NETHERLANDS: Hendrik Andriessen (out of 4, 3 released), Julius Rontgen (out of 22 extant, 9 released)
SWEDEN: Natanael Berg (out of 5, 3 released), Edvin Kallstenius (out of 5, 1 released), Lars-Erik Larsson (out of 3, 2 released, 1 due soon)

Cycles which may be stalled or remain incomplete:

AUSTRIA: Karol Rathaus (out of 3, 2 released-the other is on Decca)
DENMARK: Ludolf Nielsen (out of 3, 1 released-the others are on Dacapo), Rudolph Simonsen (out of 4, 2 released)
GERMANY: Eduard Erdmann (out of 4, 2 released-the others are on Koch Schwann), Gunther Raphael (out of 5, 4 released)
ITALY: Alfredo Casella (out of 3, 1 released-the others are on Chandos and Naxos)
NETHERLANDS: Henk Badings (out of 15, 6 released, 2 to be released shortly)

I have focussed on 20th century composers. My apologies if I have missed someone. Personally I would like to see CPO get the two missing symphonies by Rudolph Simonsen and by Natanael Berg out on disc (the Berg 4th is Sterling and Musica Sveciae).

IF CPO are looking for further Central European cycles then I would nominate the three by the Dutch composer Willem Pijper and the six by Leon Orthel, four by the Polish composer Grazyna Bacewicz, the six by the Swede Erland von Koch and, of course, the eight by Hilding Rosenberg. That would be plenty to keep them going ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »

von Koch and Rosenberg for sure, and in that part of the world, what about Fernstrom? But I would not accord any priority to Pijper - Dopper is a much more interesting Dutch composer. I know nothing about Orthel.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 11:59:37 pm »

von Koch and Rosenberg for sure, and in that part of the world, what about Fernstrom? But I would not accord any priority to Pijper - Dopper is a much more interesting Dutch composer. I know nothing about Orthel.

Fernstrom....yes. I agree. And I should have added the Norwegian composer Klaus Egge.

Of Dopper's seven symphonies three have been recorded by Chandos and one-the 5th-is, I understand, lost.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 03:53:43 am »

Fernstrom....yes. I agree. And I should have added the Norwegian composer Klaus Egge.

Of Dopper's seven symphonies three have been recorded by Chandos and one-the 5th-is, I understand, lost.
Pijperr's music has a strange appeal to me as does Orthel
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:41 am »

It is remarkable that there's no recording available of Dopper's 7th, which is a stunning work.

Czech composers don't seem to get a look-in. I would like to see something done for Jiří Jaroch - only three symphonies, but with other orchestral works you could have a two-CD set. Or the three might even fit on one CD - I don't have the timings to hand. The 2nd has long been one of my favourite pieces - I never tire of that haunting, dramatic opening.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:20 am »

Actually there is a recording of Dopperś 7th Symphony, subtitled 'Zuiderzee' on NM CLASSICS 92060
(Zuiderzee was an inland sea, connected to the Northsea, in the 1930s the place a dam. The "sea" is since called IJsselmeer).

As to the difference between Dopper's symphonies and those of Willem Pijper, is that th latter wrote in more modern style. Pijper's 3td is a work of a composers at the top of his compositional power. To be honest: I like those of Dopper more!

I agree that Leon Orthel's music should be available!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

Actually there is a recording of Dopperś 7th Symphony, subtitled 'Zuiderzee' on NM CLASSICS 92060
(Zuiderzee was an inland sea, connected to the Northsea, in the 1930s the place a dam. The "sea" is since called IJsselmeer).

As to the difference between Dopper's symphonies and those of Willem Pijper, is that th latter wrote in more modern style. Pijper's 3td is a work of a composers at the top of his compositional power. To be honest: I like those of Dopper more!

I agree that Leon Orthel's music should be available!
I've recordings of some of Orthel's symphonies, on the NM classics label. Think they're still to be had, second hand.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 02:03:09 pm »

Well, in my opnion, as a Dutchman, Dopper is as conservative as a right wing politician can be. Pijper composed in an advanced free tonal style, unique for The Netherlands in that time. He was musical journalist too writing with a poisoned penn, very jealous at Jan van Gilse.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:07 pm »

Halvor Haug, anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 05:28:17 pm »

Halvor Haug, anyone?

Very much yes  :)....and Ragnar Soderlind too.

I thought that I had restricted my self to deceased composers....but since Aulis Sallinen is still with us I should have been more careful.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 06:59:18 am »

I do actually have all the Pijper symphonies on LP. I find his music what one might call "worthy". One respects it, but it is ever so slightly dull.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

I'd appreciate  highly both Orthel than Von Koch
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:56 am »

ITALY: CPO released the two symphonies by Franco Alfano.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »

ITALY: CPO released the two symphonies by Franco Alfano.

Yes they did....and I have them :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 06:26:19 am »

The difference is that CPO has never given any commitment(as far as I know, I may be wrong) to record all Dopper's symphonies. Three of Dopper's seven have been recorded by Chandos(Nos.2, 3 and 6) and one by NM(No.7) and at least one of the others(No.5, if I recall) is not fully extant. That is not a complete series but not far short of one :)

As for Holbrooke, CPO have never given any commitment to record any of the symphonies. (One might ask why should they, rather than a British company). In any case, I would rate Badings as a far more important composer than Holbrooke.
a good sampling of Dopper can be heard here:
http://www.concertzender.nl/en/?s=dopper
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: