The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:53:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

CPO Release Plans

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CPO Release Plans  (Read 3590 times)
Ulalume
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 03:51:50 pm »

Having just downloaded the Badings Piano Concerto from You Tube :) :).......

The irony is that the later Badings symphonies are mostly very short.

Two CPO discs could contains:

(a) Nos. 1, 4 and 5: 14 minutes, 36 minutes and 25 minutes respectively(75 minutes)

(b) Nos. 5, 8, 11 and 13: 29 minutes, 18 minutes, 7 minutes and 10 minutes respectively(64 minutes)

CPO have already recorded Nos. 2, 3, 7, 10, 12, 14 and 15. Other companies have recorded Nos. 9 and 15.

The 1st symphony has been discarded and the 10th is in fact a revised version of it. Based on the timings of the remaining symphonies I count 170'. Even if I would expect Porcelijn to be significantly quicker in some instance, it's a little too much for two CDs. Also the bane of symphony cycles is choral requirement (as exemplified by Rosenberg) ; so maybe the 6th could be left for an all choral CD (not necessarily by CPO), isn't that a great idea an all choral Badings CD ? ;D

We would have something like :

- 4, 9 and 13
- 5, 8, 11 and 15

(both 60' to 70' in duration).

Also my memory confused me on the 4th which is - much like the 5th - a mix of lyrical (just hear the slow movement of both symponies !) and more tense sections, caped with an uplifting finale.

Maybe the next Badings CD will be the first funded with the help of the Art-Music Forum ? :o

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 06:12:29 pm »

I had forgotten that Symphony No.1 was revised and reworked as Symphony No.10. Saying that however, I do have a recording of Symphony No.1 with the Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra under Maurits van den Berg.

My timings for the symphonies unrecorded by CPO(I had previously omitted Symphonies Nos. 9 and 15 recorded by Polymnie and by NM) are:

No.4: 36 mins
No.5: 25 mins
No.6: 29 mins
No.8: 18 mins
No.9: 17 mins
No.11: 7 mins
No.13: 10 mins
No.15: 17 mins.

Making a total of 159 minutes-admittedly, just, too much for three cds. These timings are taken from actual recordings of each symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:57:32 pm »

OK. I'll adjust my post; someone should shove Colin's letter down their throats while spanking them. :-\

Where's your Scandinavian moderation ??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Ulalume
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 02:31:57 pm »

I also hope cpo will go on recording the remaining Badings symphonies.
I can't even dare to dream that some company will bring out his 4 violin concertos!

Concerning VCs of the 20th century, this still remains one of the largest gaps
in recorded repertoire together with those of Stanley Bate and Erland von Koch.

Yes, the violin concertos are intriguing, none of them are available anywhere I think. I suppose it would need more than one violonist to record them all, which is fitting because there's also double concertos. :D

As far as I know Badings is the sole dutch composer to be compared to, say, Malipiero or Honegger. He has a generous inspiration, a strong musical personality, contrapuntal wizardry, good sense of orchestral balance and structural proportions, his writing is insightful for most if not all intruments...

I don't think there is many composers resurrected by CPO who can compare favorably on those points (and for some on any points). It is not that frequent to rediscover a major voice, and not a derivative one, that is scarcely played and recorded !
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:57 am »

I also hope cpo will go on recording the remaining Badings symphonies.
I can't even dare to dream that some company will bring out his 4 violin concertos!

Concerning VCs of the 20th century, this still remains one of the largest gaps
in recorded repertoire together with those of Stanley Bate and Erland von Koch.

I have a recording-presumably of a radio broadcast-of Erland von Koch's Violin Concerto No.2. Unfortunately Tobias's website of Violin Concertos seems to have disappeared from the net ??? If it is indeed a radio broadcast I could upload the von Koch here (once I have re-familiarised myself with the process ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:29:26 am »

I have a recording-presumably of a radio broadcast-of Erland von Koch's Violin Concerto No.2. Unfortunately Tobias's website of Violin Concertos seems to have disappeared from the net ??? If it is indeed a radio broadcast I could upload the von Koch here (once I have re-familiarised myself with the process ;D)

Hello Colin,

that would be great! 

I have surprisingly found a link to a recording of Badings' 3rd VC - issued sometime ago on a kind of non-commercial CD, but now
available as free download from a web site dedicated to the soloist of its première:

http://www.jean-laurent.com/de/downloads/cd7.php

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:07 am »

In his updated Scandinavian Symphonies Discography on Musicweb the indefatigable Mike Herman tells us that the Edvin Kallstenius Symphony No.1(1926) coupled with the Sinfonietta No.2 "Espressivo"(1946) and Musica Sinfonica(1952) played by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra/Frank Beerman were issued by CPO in 2013 with the label number CPO-777361-2.

Oh...if only that were true ::)

According to a reply to a query on CPO's Facebook page (yes...the company has one ;D) the delay is being caused by the failure of the writer of the linear notes to send these to the company.

Since this cd has been promised now for what seems like an eternity perhaps this issue needs to be sorted out ??? ???
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:40 am »

And,on a lighter note; what happened to the Dopper 1?! I seem to reember someone here,or at the 'other' forum,saying they recorded it (maybe I got this wrong?!!) Not deep,not life changing,absolutely nothing ground breaking;but I really enjoyed it. A lovely romantic,colourful symphony. Luckily for us the file here is of a very high quality;but this is music that could provide allot of enjoyment if it was made available on a commercially produced cd.
The Holbrooke No 2 is another one. Come on Cpo;get your finger out of your proverbial,I need my Holbrooke fix!! ;D

FYI:
Dopper 1 is here:

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »

Badings was at one time, a  mining engineer and palaeontologist and some may think much of his music is from the head rather
than the heart. It might be improper to describe his music (esp symphonies) as "lyrical" but his music is quite original and well-crafted (or "engineered", as one would expect from his background. He was quite prolific as he had quite a bit to say..

http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/nl/archieven/archievenoverzicht?task=listhandschriften&tmpl=lexicon&id=365
Report Spam   Logged
Ulalume
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

I just saw that Mike Herman has published an update to his discographies on MusicWeb, for CPO he lists :

- Badings : Symphonies 4 and 5 - Porcelijn - CPO 777 669-2
- Holbrooke : Violin concerto, Auld Lang Syne, The Raven - Griffiths - CPO 777 636-2
- J N David : Symphonies 2 and 4 - Wildner - CPO 777 577-2
- J N David : Symphonies 3 and 7 - Wildner - CPO 777 964-2
- Braunfels : Sinfonia Concertante, String Quintet - CPO 777 579-2
- Larsson : Symphony 2, etc - Manze - CPO 777 672-2
- Larsson : Symphony 3, etc - Manze - CPO 777 673-2

All those are labelled " 2015 ".

Badings 4 & 5, exactly what I wished  :D, also David 2 & 4 should be a glorious cd.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 02:49:45 am »

I have emailed Mike Herman for confirmation.

If indeed CPO is resuming its Badings series then three cheers for them :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 02:22:49 am »

I have emailed Mike Herman for confirmation.

If indeed CPO is resuming its Badings series then three cheers for them :) :)

Mike Herman tells me that all the works listed above are in the 2015 CPO Catalogue.

From past experience this does not mean that all will actually be released in 2015....but they are certainly "in the can" as they say :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 05:09:34 am »

CPO confirmed to me that an Andriessen Volume 4 is all but ready.  Symphony 4 plus several other (Chanticler) works.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:05 am »

Badings 4 & 5, exactly what I wished  :D, also David 2 & 4 should be a glorious cd.

Oh no, please not Badings, the Bading Symphonies on CPO are among the most uninteresting disk CPO ever released :( And the first David disk was also mediocre, but maybe give him another chance.

There are so much interesting composers: Sibelius, Martinu, Prokofiev, Roussel and hundrets others, but Badings - NO! Just like all the other dutch composers like Röntgen, Pijper, Vermeulen etc. - the Netherlands don't have any music worth to hear :(
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »

Oh no, please not Badings, the Bading Symphonies on CPO are among the most uninteresting disk CPO ever released :( And the first David disk was also mediocre, but maybe give him another chance.

There are so much interesting composers: Sibelius, Martinu, Prokofiev, Roussel and hundrets others, but Badings - NO! Just like all the other dutch composers like Röntgen, Pijper, Vermeulen etc. - the Netherlands don't have any music worth to hear :(

I shall-of course-try to respond seriously ;D

You are entitled to your opinions on the merits of the music of both Badings and David. You will appreciate that others do not necessarily share these opinions. What we most assuredly do NOT need are endless cycles of the music of the same composers whose music is already familiar to us.

I do not happen to be overly impressed by Julius Rontgen myself but I would ( ::)) defend CPO's right to issue his music which is-of course-so markedly different in idiom from that of Pijper and Vermeulen.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: