The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:11:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Badings Symphony no.9 alternate version

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badings Symphony no.9 alternate version  (Read 844 times)
Ulalume
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »

This symphony for string orchestra has already been recorded but Badings has produced an alternate version with the addition of parts for two oboes and two horns. So it might be interesting for CPO to record this version.

I don't think CPO has currently a more stimulating serie, at least for the modern era. I find the 2nd and 7th symphonies exhilarating and the 3rd is stunning. Also Porcelijn is perfect for this kind of music full of vitality, let's hope for more album's !
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:03 pm »

This symphony for string orchestra has already been recorded but Badings has produced an alternate version with the addition of parts for two oboes and two horns. So it might be interesting for CPO to record this version.

I don't think CPO has currently a more stimulating serie, at least for the modern era. I find the 2nd and 7th symphonies exhilarating and the 3rd is stunning. Also Porcelijn is perfect for this kind of music full of vitality, let's hope for more album's !
What series? They had 2 discs separated by a couple of years, and then the long silence. I agree with you about the quailty of the music, but have given up faith in cpo.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »

I would argue that a commercial company-which is what CPO is-has a duty to its loyal customers and that duty includes not leaving them so totally in the dark that endless time and effort are consumed speculating about when, if ever, it intends to continue(or indeed begin) promised series of recordings.

CPO has/had an excellent record of commencing and finishing complete series of a composer's symphonies-Frankel, Searle, Milhaud, Villa-Lobos, Atterbeg,Pettersson, Wiren, Weingartner, Krenek(eventually), Wellesz, van Gilse etc etc etc. The current Panufnik recordings have been issued in quick succession. But in recent years CPO has announced series of music by Kallstenius and Johan Nepomuk David(and have certainly recorded some of the latter's symphonies) but released nothing. The Reznicek series is still unfinished. The Badings-as has been noted above-has gone nowhere for some time.

Rather than endless and, frankly, now ridiculous ongoing speculation the company must be more upfront and honest. It should clarify to its loyal customer base when it proposes to continue or begin to issue these recordings. It is not as if there are any potential rivals with any plans to trump them ::)

I feel a stiff-but polite-email to Burkhard Schmilgun coming on ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:24 pm »

I feel a stiff-but polite-email to Burkhard Schmilgun coming on ;D

Go ahead, Colin! Don't be shy! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:59:16 am »

Their mistake is in announcing things. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

Copy of email to Burkhard Schmilgun:

"Dear Burkhard,

I am a member of several online Music Forums and am therefore writing this not just on my own behalf but on that of many other loyal customers of CPO.

Like these other customers I have bought very many CPO releases over the years. I am a huge admirer of the company and can only offer my profound congratulations on the amazingly innovative repertoire which CPO have released. The integral series of composers like Frankel, Searle, Milhaud, Villa-Lobos, Atterberg, Pettersson, Weingartner, Wellesz, van Gilse, Antheil etc etc etc have been avidly bought and admired. The speed at which the company has released the recent Panufnik series is remarkable and very much appreciated.

There has however been an enormous amount of discussion and speculation on these forums concerning the recent release schedule.

Specifically-

1)     Customers were promised quite some time ago the first of a series of the symphonies of Edvin Kallstenius but nothing has appeared to date.

2)     We know from mention on the internet that the company has already recorded a number of the symphonies of Johan Nepomuk David under the baton of Johannes Wildner(Nos. 2 and 4 in 2008 and Nos. 1 and 6 in 2011). Those of us who are admirers of this composer’s music are becoming increasingly desperate to know when these cds will be released.

3)     CPO has released two cds of the music of that extremely fine and neglected Dutch composer Henk Badings. Again, however, lovers of the music of Badings are very anxious to know if and when the company will continue with this series.

I am writing to you only after endless and frustrating speculation and increasing despair amongst many of CPO’s customers on these online forums. This has become a real issue for these music-lovers!

I fully understand that a record company’s issue plans are subject to fluctuation and change but if there is ANY information about these series you are able to provide it would not only be most welcome but would help reduce the mounting frustration of a substantial number of those of us who look forward every month to your release schedule.

Best wishes,

Colin Mackie."
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »

"Dear Burkhard,

Well done! I hope you'll get a satisfactory answer.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:15:12 pm »

Finely put, Colin! I await Herr Schmilgun's repose with bated breath.....
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »

Well done, Colin, superb letter!  :)

(Though I feel an extra obligation to finally play these two Badings cds, now :-) )  :-\

Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:24:21 am »

"Dear Burkhard,

I am a member of several online Music Forums and am therefore writing this not just on my own behalf but on that of many other loyal customers of CPO.

Like these other customers I have bought very many CPO releases over the years. I am a huge admirer of the company and can only offer my profound congratulations on the amazingly innovative repertoire which CPO have released. The integral series of composers like Frankel, Searle, Milhaud, Villa-Lobos, Atterberg, Pettersson, Weingartner, Wellesz, van Gilse, Antheil etc etc etc have been avidly bought and admired. The speed at which the company has released the recent Panufnik series is remarkable and very much appreciated.

There has however been an enormous amount of discussion and speculation on these forums concerning the recent release schedule.

Specifically-

1)     Customers were promised quite some time ago the first of a series of the symphonies of Edvin Kallstenius but nothing has appeared to date.

2)     We know from mention on the internet that the company has already recorded a number of the symphonies of Johan Nepomuk David under the baton of Johannes Wildner(Nos. 2 and 4 in 2008 and Nos. 1 and 6 in 2011). Those of us who are admirers of this composer’s music are becoming increasingly desperate to know when these cds will be released.

3)     CPO has released two cds of the music of that extremely fine and neglected Dutch composer Henk Badings. Again, however, lovers of the music of Badings are very anxious to know if and when the company will continue with this series.

I am writing to you only after endless and frustrating speculation and increasing despair amongst many of CPO’s customers on these online forums. This has become a real issue for these music-lovers!

I fully understand that a record company’s issue plans are subject to fluctuation and change but if there is ANY information about these series you are able to provide it would not only be most welcome but would help reduce the mounting frustration of a substantial number of those of us who look forward every month to your release schedule.

Best wishes,

Colin Mackie."

What a lovely polite letter! If they don't answer this they're either very rude or extremely busy! ::) ;D I used to send 'letters' like this all the time by what some people now call snail mail. I still wonder whether an electronic communication like this is easier to ignore. There's something very personal about an actual letter;particularly if,like my late mother,you have beautiful handwriting. Also,a 'letter' of paper involves a little more effort than an e-job! The recipient thinks,'My goodness,he went to all the trouble of writing out this,putting it in an envelope,licking the stamp and carrying it to a post box. More reason to answer the d*mn thing!!
Unfortunately,these days there's the price of stamps to think about! ::) :o Also,the possibility that you are going to be regarded as some kind of 'refusenik' (they even have an abusive term) or eccentric for using such an old fashioned method. Also,thanks to the gradual destruction of the Royal Mail,by consecutive governments,whose long term aim was/is to reduce it to a weakened state at which point the only way of 'saving it' is by privatising it (mission accomplished!),which has been their long term objective all along,you aren't going to really want to use the post anyway!

In short,well done! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:47:08 am »

I find it difficult to understand the urgency.  I have almost countless recordings to listen to, - including endless new issues and downloaded material to familiarize myself with.  I'd  like to hear more Badings, Kallstenius, & David Symponies et.al. from CPO, but if they take a year or 2 or 3 to make their way to market I certainly won't feel too much deprivation.  Passionate desire is certainly an understandable response to the seduction of certain announced coming attractions one might be particularly interested in, - but honestly, these matters become almost clinical obsessions with some members here.  Relax.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 03:26:26 am »

I find it difficult to understand the urgency.  I have almost countless recordings to listen to, - including endless new issues and downloaded material to familiarize myself with.  I'd  like to hear more Badings, Kallstenius, & David Symponies et.al. from CPO, but if they take a year or 2 or 3 to make their way to market I certainly won't feel too much deprivation.  Passionate desire is certainly an understandable response to the seduction of certain announced coming attractions one might be particularly interested in, - but honestly, these matters become almost clinical obsessions with some members here.  Relax.

I am far too polite to ask your age, Greg :)

All I can do is to point out-gently and respectfully-that there are those amongst us who are now "getting on a bit" as they say. As I get older (and, believe me, the process seems to speed up with alarming rapidity!) I get, I think naturally and inevitably, more impatient. I simply don't have the luxury of being able to relax.....and wait...and wait....and wait. Given that the first Johan Nepomuk David cd was recorded well over 5 years ago now I think it legitimate to enquire when we might see its release.

Is that "a clinical obsession" ??? Well...I might take that as rather offensive. But I won't....because I do not think that you intended it to be so. And since I have admitted often enough on this forum (and elsewhere) to being a completist it would be somewhat hypocrictical to complain at your use of the word "obsession" :)

What I was trying to do in my email was to articulate concerns expressed not only by myself but by a number of other members here. I attempted to do so in, I hope, measured and polite terms.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:58:16 am »

Just being kiddingly provocative Colin, - hoping to get some "indignant" expository rejoinder from you, - and predictably succeeding.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:40 am »

I am far too polite to ask your age, Greg :)

All I can do is to point out-gently and respectfully-that there are those amongst us who are now "getting on a bit" as they say. As I get older (and, believe me, the process seems to speed up with alarming rapidity!) I get, I think naturally and inevitably, more impatient. I simply don't have the luxury of being able to relax.....and wait...and wait....and wait. Given that the first Johan Nepomuk David cd was recorded well over 5 years ago now I think it legitimate to enquire when we might see its release.

Is that "a clinical obsession" ??? Well...I might take that as rather offensive. But I won't....because I do not think that you intended it to be so. And since I have admitted often enough on this forum (and elsewhere) to being a completist it would be somewhat hypocrictical to complain at your use of the word "obsession" :)

What I was trying to do in my email was to articulate concerns expressed not only by myself but by a number of other members here. I attempted to do so in, I hope, measured and polite terms.
Don't worry Dundonnell,I'm sure we'll all be wishing you many returns on this forum in twenty years time,or more! But I can see your point. By the way,I'm currently enjoying the Barbirolli recording of Rubbra's Fifth symphony. The last time I tried Rubbra I didn't get very far. (I even bought a Chandos cd,if you remember?) Anyway,enough of that (I must find an appropriate thread,now)..........but this is very satifying music!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 01:45:59 pm »

Just being kiddingly provocative Colin, - hoping to get some "indignant" expository rejoinder from you, - and predictably succeeding.

Actually...I don't think that you "succeeded" ;D Although you might have got an "indignant expository rejoinder" I thought that I worded my response with unusual restraint and calm serenity ;D ;D ;D

Anyway....points made, so let's move on :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: