The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:45:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Medtner in Oxford

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medtner in Oxford  (Read 486 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »

Members within reach of Oxford might be interested in this concert of Medtner songs on Nov 8th evening:

http://www.st-annes.ox.ac.uk/about/events/event?tx_cal_controller%5Btype%5D=tx_cal_phpicalendar&tx_cal_controller%5Buid%5D=482&tx_cal_controller%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_cal_controller%5Bmonth%5D=11&tx_cal_controller%5Bday%5D=08&cHash=f7106653e6da5f766ff486b4896396d1

The concert is by way of introducing a complete issue on cd of Medtner's song output - the disks will appear from 2014 onwards.

Mr Powell's work at the piano may already be well-known to some. Ms Sozdateleva slots this concert in before a Shostakovich 14 with Elder in Moscow, and then dashing to Berlin to take the title role in a new production of Prokofiev's FIERY ANGEL

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:47:31 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »

It's rather a strange link, because of the square brackets embedded in it, and so simply clicking on it doesn't work, unfortunately. But I have experimented with it a bit, and I discovered that replacing "[" with %5B, and replacing "]" with %5D seems to do the trick, so it should be working now. Anyway, good luck with the concert!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:58:24 pm »

Members within reach of Oxford might be interested in this concert of Medtner songs on Nov 8th evening:

http://www.st-annes.ox.ac.uk/about/events/event?tx_cal_controller[type]=tx_cal_phpicalendar&tx_cal_controller[uid]=482&tx_cal_controller[year]=2013&tx_cal_controller[month]=11&tx_cal_controller[day]=08&cHash=f7106653e6da5f766ff486b4896396d1
Could you please have a look at the link which I cannot make work? Thanks.

The concert is by way of introducing a complete issue on cd of Medtner's song output - the disks will appear from 2014 onwards.
Wonderful! Some of them have already been recorded, of course, but a comprehensive survey remains a long-awaited joy; it will of necessity occupy several CDs, given that there are more than 100 songs to his name as well as the remarkable Sonate-Voocalise and Suite-Vocalise. I've long been convinced that Medtner is among the finest song composers ever to emerge from Russia and whose songwriting deserves to be celebrated just as much as is his chamber music, piano works and piano concertos - at last!

Mr Powell's work at the piano may already be well-known to some.
It certainly ought to be! Sorabji, of whose music Jonathan Powell has played far more than any other artist in history, was a great admirer of Medtner and sought to promote his work in his critical writings.

Ms Sozdateleva slots this concert in before a Shostakovich 14 with Elder in Moscow, and then dashing to Berlin to take the title role in a new production of Prokofiev's FIERY ANGEL
Interesting! I have to confess that no. 14 remains something of a hard nut to crack for me and has been so ever since I first heard it when it was a new work, but I suspect that this isbecause I will insist on trying to come to terms with it as a symphony (a form of which Shostakovich was, of course, a major master of the past century) rather than the song-cycle that it is in reality.

The problem with announcements of really interesting concerts such as this one is tghe sheer frustration of being unab le to attend, as is sadly the case for me on this occasion. I'm sure that it will be a great success and hope that it plays to a full and attentive house.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:30 pm »

Thank you for the kind words, Mr H.  The link has been tweaked by the Forum Administration, to whom credit must go for making it work correctly! :)

I take your point about DSCH 14, of course - it's the strangest kind of 'symphony' you might imagine. The choice of poetry oscillates between brooding and accusatory ("O, Delvig, Delvig!") - it cannot be coincidental that the composer had been diagnosed with cancer at the time, and probably never expected to write the 15th.  The compact instrumental scheme of the scoring is another fascinating feature. I rather wonder why Elder chose it?  Considering he had access to Moscow's finest large-scale symphony orchestra for the date?  He clearly sees great merit in the work - since he'll be sending most of the wind players home at half-time that evening.

I heard Elder in DSCH with the Halle on R3 last month - a very impressive result indeed. I'm pleased RNO have endorsed his idea of conducting DSCH in Moscow, which might have seemed peculiar programming to some?

RNO have a number of British conductors appearing this season - including Sian Edwards this month, which rather puts the lie to modern press reports about the way female conductors are received in Russia, ehem ;)  I doubt we shall hear a peek out of those same newspapers about Ms Edwards's appearance in Moscow?  In the same way they shunted Jane Glover's career at the Proms into a cul-de-sac, in order to thump the tub about Ms Allsop, ho-hum...

But back on the topic of Medtner - as you mention, it will be a project spanning several disks...  so there might be future opportunities to hear concerts presenting their material, as the series progresses :)  They are all due to be recorded in Oxford, according to current plans, at the JdP concert room.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »

Thank you for the kind words, Mr H.  The link has been tweaked by the Forum Administration, to whom credit must go for making it work correctly! :)

I take your point about DSCH 14, of course - it's the strangest kind of 'symphony' you might imagine. The choice of poetry oscillates between brooding and accusatory ("O, Delvig, Delvig!") - it cannot be coincidental that the composer had been diagnosed with cancer at the time, and probably never expected to write the 15th.  The compact instrumental scheme of the scoring is another fascinating feature. I rather wonder why Elder chose it?  Considering he had access to Moscow's finest large-scale symphony orchestra for the date?  He clearly sees great merit in the work - since he'll be sending most of the wind players home at half-time that evening.

I heard Elder in DSCH with the Halle on R3 last month - a very impressive result indeed. I'm pleased RNO have endorsed his idea of conducting DSCH in Moscow, which might have seemed peculiar programming to some?

RNO have a number of British conductors appearing this season - including Sian Edwards this month, which rather puts the lie to modern press reports about the way female conductors are received in Russia, ehem ;)  I doubt we shall hear a peek out of those same newspapers about Ms Edwards's appearance in Moscow?  In the same way they shunted Jane Glover's career at the Proms into a cul-de-sac, in order to thump the tub about Ms Allsop, ho-hum...

But back on the topic of Medtner - as you mention, it will be a project spanning several disks...  so there might be future opportunities to hear concerts presenting their material, as the series progresses :)  They are all due to be recorded in Oxford, according to current plans, at the JdP concert room.
Many thanks for your news on the Medtner project.

Ms Alsop's actually pretty good, I think, but that doesn't excuse the sidelining of others, of course...
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:11:08 am »

Ms Alsop's actually pretty good, I think, but that doesn't excuse the sidelining of others, of course...

There have been numerous articles claiming Alsop is 'the only woman to have conducted the Proms' (I think they mean "the Last Night Of...") - entirely ignoring the other female conductors who have conducted in the Proms, and thus commiting the very sin of which they accuse others :(

Of course, the LNOTP gives no real insight into a conductor's ability anyhow :( 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: