The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:08:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

First recording of Respighis complete ballet "Belkis - Queen of Sheba"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First recording of Respighis complete ballet "Belkis - Queen of Sheba"  (Read 2643 times)
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:34:23 am »

First recording of Respighis complete ballet "Belkis - Queen of Sheba":

unfortunately just as DVD and BluRay, not as CD :(
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:24:12 pm »

Although it is a pity no CD version is being released, I might still look into this, so thanks for bringing it to our attention! I have always loved the thrilling War Dance, which is probably my favorite movement in all of Respighi's output.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 03:15:31 am »

Although it is a pity no CD version is being released, I might still look into this, so thanks for bringing it to our attention! I have always loved the thrilling War Dance, which is probably my favorite movement in all of Respighi's output.
Respighi has so many "great moments"..this must be really something..
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »

I don't feel the complete ballet 'Belkis' brings much more excitement than the music we hear from the Suite of the ballet.

On a Superaudio cd from Exton (OVCL 00216) from (2007), Vladimir Ashkenazy conducts the Dutch  Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, with this suite and with the Vetrate di Chiesa (Church Windows) as well as the Overture to the opera Belfagor.

There is of course also that 2-cd set on Chandos (juni 2013), with Geoffrey Simon conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra,

Report Spam   Logged
RarityFan
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:23 pm »

I have it from the horse's mouth that no CD set is planned. There is some wonderful music not included in the suites which is probably why Respighi planned a second suite but died before he could produce it. I have recorded and made a two CD set. Quadri 1-3 on one and Quadri 4-7 on the other.
Unfortunately the producers have seen fit to replace Respighi's original recitation limited to two places in the ballet with ongong narration of the story which impinges on the overall effect of the music. A disadvantage for non-German speakers is the narration language - German. Although there are English sub-titles the spoken dialogue remains intrusive.
I just hope it inspires someone to make a purely orchestral recording of this very lavish and monumental score. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: