The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:45:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lev Abeliovich

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lev Abeliovich  (Read 332 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:30:17 pm »

I've just discovered that all four of Abeliovich's symphonies were recorded by Melodiya.  I've managed to snag the second and third over the years, but I've never come across the first and fourth.  Does anybody have either or both of these works in readily uploadable format?  Thanks in advance!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest264
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:59 pm »

I have very much enjoyed listening to Abeliovich's symphonies nos. 2 and 3. According to Onno's website:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/abeliovich.htm
the 1st and 4th have been recorded but I've never seen a trace of them. It would be great to listen to these works.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:51 am »

I was also informed of that... they might have been limited run Melodiya LPs... the Belorusian composers had very few pressings.. perhaps 100 pressings due to the poor state of economy in Belarus during the Soviet era.   I've discovered that some of the libraries of Soviet era countries house some of these pressings.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:46 am »

After initiating this discussion way back in October, I have a dim recollection of having had an exchange with someone (the most likely suspect being Dave Hibbard?) who indicated they might have a possible lead on Abeliovich's first and fourth symphonies.  Assuming I'm not making this up (which, given the way my memory works, is actually quite possible), has anybody succeeded in tracking down these two elusive works?
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »

Assuming Melodiya recordings made in Belarus reverted to Belarus after the fall of the USSR, as was the case in other former Soviet republics, then the logical place to look would be in Belarus. Their Radio & TV organization, most likely, or the national library, or whatever national archive acts as a repository for sound recordings. Unfortunately, not the most open of societies. A couple of our forum members undoubtedly have contacts, though...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:26:59 am »

see comments under  The Art-Music Forum > Forum > Little-known composers of all eras > Composer reference > Belorussian Composers > Lev Abeliovich (1912-1985)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: