The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:03:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Somtow Sucharitkul

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somtow Sucharitkul  (Read 325 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:02:16 pm »

Just come across this on YT. Any thoughts (for me, it's beautiful...but I'm biased when it comes to 'sacred' music !) ?
If you like it, there's another full Requiem on YT !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »

Thank you Clive

From this composer I new only that he helped a former American Ambassador in writing a 'Holland Symphony'.
I always wondered how much of it was from Somtow Sucharitkul. Together with two othewr works it was released on lp in 1970s I believe. I taped the works, but the sound is horrible now; the works were not that interesting btw.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »

Thank you Clive

From this composer I new only that he helped a former American Ambassador in writing a 'Holland Symphony'.
I always wondered how much of it was from Somtow Sucharitkul. Together with two othewr works it was released on lp in 1970s I believe. I taped the works, but the sound is horrible now; the works were not that interesting btw.

I have that LP, the American ambassador in question is J. William Middendorf II (* 1924). However, I have to admit that I really find these works (I mean the Middendorfs) pretty uninteresting indeed, composed in a very undemanding manner, basically not much more than simple melodies accompanied by similarly simple harmonies.
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »

There are some excerpts from his opera Ayodhya on YouTube - I'll maybe post one when I can get to a connection that is YouTube-enabled.  It's a bit bland, perhaps, but there's much to like in it, I find.  And it's a good deal more effective than I'd expected, honestly.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:56 pm »

Think the whole work's up there, in fact.
As mentioned elsewhere, not a huge opera fan, but on brief acquaintance this 'bland' I could get used to !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: