The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:49:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Chandos forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Chandos forum  (Read 608 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:05:04 pm »

Members may not be aware that, following the demise of it's earlier incarnation, there is now a new forum linked directly to the Chandos label - here it is:

http://theclassicalshop.forumchitchat.com/

I've banged in a couple of posts in A&R ...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »

Members may not be aware that, following the demise of it's earlier incarnation, there is now a new forum linked directly to the Chandos label - here it is:

http://theclassicalshop.forumchitchat.com/

I've banged in a couple of posts in A&R ...

;)
You certainly have!! ;D  Great! :) This will teach me for 'slagging' them off  :-[ ;D(see Bax 'symphonic cycles' thread!). I've registered already. I see the forum is now acessed via 'The Classical Shop',not the home page,as before. I hope you get a response Albion. If you don't it usually,in my experience means........ :( ::)!!
Fingers crossed they're planning a Daniel Jones cycle & Holbrooke recordings,right now! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:14 pm »

Arnold Cooke, too, John ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:17:20 pm »

Of course - duly edited!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:27 pm »

Well done :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »

Don't forget York Bowen! ;D :P
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

Phew! I thought you were being serious for a moment!! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:11 pm »

Phew! I thought you were being serious for a moment!! :o ;D

;D I don't have anything against Bowen (his Rachmaninoffian style appeals to me), but I certainly agree with you, Colin and John that there are other British composers crying out for revival. Besides, Bowen's output is very well-served on disc.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:09 pm »

It will be interesting to see whether someone from Chandos replies to John's threads on the new forum.......but I am not holding my breath for a positive outcome :(

.....anyway, that's me signing out for the next week :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:14 am »

My experience of posting on the old Chandos forum and the one before it is that no news (no answer) is (unlike the old saying) bad news!! :( ;D If there's nothing in the next day or two expect the worst!
I really DO genuinely hope I'm wrong about this!! ;D

Furthermore,I remember writing a very enthusiastic letter to Chandos,about Holbrooke,after those Marco Polo cds were released! I got a letter back from Chandos telling me that Brian Couzens had read my letter (himself!) and that they were very interested in recording Holbrooke and were planning (this in relation to another point) an Ethel Smyth cycle!! And that's nearly twenty years ago,now!! :(

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 02:58:55 pm »

I note the responses from Ralph Couzens to John's posts on the Chandos forum. They make the same point-money :(

Now I can perfectly understand that money is short and that the smaller record labels operate on tight budgets. However...they do still continue to issue cds. Money CAN be found for to record music which-one would imagine-has only a certain amount of appeal. Is the music of, say, Alfredo Casella(who is not exactly a household name amongst British music listeners) more sellable than the composers John listed ??? Where did Chandos get the finance to record Casella(or, say, Weinberg) ??? Who financed the Dutton issues of the music of Richard Arnell and John Foulds ??? Obviously the Alan Bush Trust has chipped-in for the Dutton/Bush recordings. We know about the Havergal Brian Society and its ceaseless proselytsing on behalf of that composer. The RVW Trust has coughed up cash for a number of recordings of music by other British composers. We also know who helped finance the Hyperion/Robert Simpson series ;D

Maybe it needs people with dedication and commitment to organize and attempt to raise private finance from enthusiasts. But how to find such people ???
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: