The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"War Symphonies"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "War Symphonies"  (Read 4608 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

You can hear Janus Ciker's compelling, turbulent and unheralded war statement here..
Symphony 1945
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/51451
Be advised the clip is overattenuated, so lower the volume at the site for best results, it is worth it..

I'll see if I can post my copy - it might be better.
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »

I'm a fan of Khachaturian 2, but the only recording I've heard that does it justice -- that keeps the inner intensity without outer blustering -- is the one he made in Vienna.

The first movement of Alfvén's symphony 5 may be the strongest music he ever wrote. I believe it was written during WW II and for some years played as a stand-alone piece. Has anyone heard the recording Alfvén made of it in the late 1950s?
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:25 am »

Janus Ciker is better known as Jan Cikker[1911-1990], a Slovak composer, who's '1945' Symphony I a long time ago posted. '1945' is his 3td symphony. The symphony was written in 1975.
Or is there a real Janus Ciker?

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »

No, this is Jan Cikker ... I went to post it in downloads then found it was already there, and I am sure it is the same LP.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Holmboe's Sinfonia Disintegrazzione, his response to the Nazi invasion of Denmark. Sadly, the only recording of the work is a complete mess, to the extent that in the scherzo the percussion section play a complete bar later than the rest of the orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 05:29:22 pm »

Personally I would include Rubbra: Symphony No 4, with its inspiriting conclusion and certainly Hubert Clifford's 'Symphony 1940' which certainly related to the time of its conclusion and has a wonderfully defiant ending, in which Clifford (according to the booklet notes) defiantly shakes his fist at the heavens and at would-be oppressors (it was written in London during one of the first bombing raids of the Blitz). It can be found on Chandos, accompanied by the equally fine Symphony No 2 by Edgar Bainton (1939-1940).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »

Personally I would include Rubbra: Symphony No 4, with its inspiriting conclusion and certainly Hubert Clifford's 'Symphony 1940' which certainly related to the time of its conclusion and has a wonderfully defiant ending, in which Clifford (according to the booklet notes) defiantly shakes his fist at the heavens and at would-be oppressors (it was written in London during one of the first bombing raids of the Blitz). It can be found on Chandos, accompanied by the equally fine Symphony No 2 by Edgar Bainton (1939-1940).
A wonderful cd. The kind of release that used to get me leafing eagerly through the pages of Gramophone to the Chandos (new releases) ad!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:57 pm »

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Holmboe's Sinfonia Disintegrazzione, his response to the Nazi invasion of Denmark. Sadly, the only recording of the work is a complete mess, to the extent that in the scherzo the percussion section play a complete bar later than the rest of the orchestra.

What?! I've never heard of that work! Could you please point me to the recording of it?
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:54 pm »

A wonderful cd. The kind of release that used to get me leafing eagerly through the pages of Gramophone to the Chandos (new releases) ad!

Me too - sadly their new releases are now more or less mainstream - a sign of the times I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:27 pm »

What?! I've never heard of that work! Could you please point me to the recording of it?

Seconded. Please tell us more about it?
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
kyjo
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:17 am »

Colin's catalogue doesn't list it ???......
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 10:32:33 pm »

Sorry, I missed these posts ... so (about a month late) here is a link to the whole sorry tale -

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Apr10/Holmboe_CDDK2009.htm
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 10:37:58 pm »

Sorry, I missed these posts ... so (about a month late) here is a link to the whole sorry tale -

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Apr10/Holmboe_CDDK2009.htm

I still don't understand? ??? Is that review some type of April Fools joke? ???
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 11:11:17 pm »

Colin's catalogue doesn't list it ???......

No wonder ::)

It doesn't exist ::) ::)

The whole thing is an April Fools' Joke ::) Whether you think that it is in good taste is up to you ???

(Congratulations, Kyle on scoring your second thousand :))
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 11:30:31 pm »

No wonder ::)

It doesn't exist ::) ::)

The whole thing is an April Fools' Joke ::) Whether you think that it is in good taste is up to you ???

(Congratulations, Kyle on scoring your second thousand :))

No, I do not think such jokes are good taste ::) Reminds me of similar "fake reviews" for Mahler's "Violin Concerto" and a Boulez recording of VW's Symphonies 4 and 6!

Oh, I just realized I had reached two thousand! I guess I shouldn't be surprised ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: