The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:40:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Downloading from You Tube

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloading from You Tube  (Read 257 times)
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:00:12 am »

Indeed. I expected his music to be much less "modern"-sounding considering that he's often pitted against Birtwistle, Turnage, etc. as an "arch-conservative" of sorts—it's still tonal but definitely in a more complex and individual idiom that has some similarities, I think, with Dutilleux (and some of the other lesser-known French composers of that generation, who are only really "traditionalist" by comparison with Boulez or Messiaen). It's not necessarily the most accessible stuff (in any sense of the term) but it's clearly embedded in and in some ways a commentary on the classical tradition, so it should be possible to at least understand what he's on about with enough listens.

(Side note: RH was a lecturer at my university for the first two years i was there and i originally became acquainted with his 3rd concerto for orchestra when he presented it at a lecture. The problem was that he spent the first 40 minutes of the lecture talking about the concerto leaving us only 20 minutes to listen to it. Based on how appealing i found the music vs. his interesting but ultimately somewhat repetitive comments on it, I quite wished he'd done it the other way around :D)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: