The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:02:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

iPod problems - help needed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPod problems - help needed!  (Read 431 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »

I'm hoping someone can advise me about this. I have an iPod classic which I use for listening when I am travelling. I discovered a while ago that tracks longer than 40 mins would not play - the device would reset itself and the battery would take a large hit. So I started splitting long tracks into two.

Now I find that it won't play anything over 38 mins - the same happens, even with tracks that used to be ok.

From what I can find on the internet, there is a limit based on the number of samples, but at the rate I am using (44.1 kHz) the maximum track length ought to be about 5 hours, not 38 mins.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I do a complete wipe of the device and reload everything?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:51:59 pm »

Perhaps you could start listening to Webern?  He rarely goes over 10 minutes :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

I haven't had that problem, but what annoys me about the IPOD classic is that it doesn't display the composer information.  It shows:
Track name (eg:  II. Adagio)
Artist name (eg: Chloe Hanslip, London Symphony Orchestra, Paul Mann)
Album name (eg: Violin Concerto No.2 in C minor)

And that's it.  So if my IPOD, with over 25,000 tracks on it, is on shuffle and a piece comes on and I don't recognise it, I have no way of finding out.

I went in to the Apple store to ask how if they can programme it to show the composer name (there is enough room after all) and was spoken to like I was an idiot.   First the guy (who appeared never to have heard of the "genre" of classical music" couldn't understand why I wouldn't put the composer name in the artist box (a: that's for the artists; b: it's full already!). Then he couldn't get a grip on the fact that in classical music you generally sort by composer, not by artist.  Actually, I don't think he knew the difference between a composer and an artist!

So I have taken to writing the name of the composer in a powerpoint slide, converting it to a .jpg and inserting it as a picture (you may have lost me here....) - very time-consuming!

I also wish they would make the display name of the artist scroll if it is long (they do this with the track name).  As it is currently, what you see generally is (eg):

II. Adagio
Chloe Hanslip, London Sym
Violin Concer

Right, that's my Apple rant out of the way.  Otherwise, I like the product!

Anyone know anyone at Apple who understands classical music?  Maybe there's an Apple employee on here?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:07:28 am »

I haven't had that problem, but what annoys me about the IPOD classic is that it doesn't display the composer information.  It shows:
Track name (eg:  II. Adagio)
Artist name (eg: Chloe Hanslip, London Symphony Orchestra, Paul Mann)
Album name (eg: Violin Concerto No.2 in C minor)

And that's it.  So if my IPOD, with over 25,000 tracks on it, is on shuffle and a piece comes on and I don't recognise it, I have no way of finding out.

I went in to the Apple store to ask how if they can programme it to show the composer name (there is enough room after all) and was spoken to like I was an idiot.   First the guy (who appeared never to have heard of the "genre" of classical music" couldn't understand why I wouldn't put the composer name in the artist box (a: that's for the artists; b: it's full already!). Then he couldn't get a grip on the fact that in classical music you generally sort by composer, not by artist.  Actually, I don't think he knew the difference between a composer and an artist!

So I have taken to writing the name of the composer in a powerpoint slide, converting it to a .jpg and inserting it as a picture (you may have lost me here....) - very time-consuming!

I also wish they would make the display name of the artist scroll if it is long (they do this with the track name).  As it is currently, what you see generally is (eg):

II. Adagio
Chloe Hanslip, London Sym
Violin Concer

Right, that's my Apple rant out of the way.  Otherwise, I like the product!

Anyone know anyone at Apple who understands classical music?  Maybe there's an Apple employee on here?
Try a Sony Walkman and simplify your life..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:22 am »

Actually, the "artist" is the person who does the cover design for the CD. What Apple means is PERFORMER, but then there is no distinction made between conductor, orchestra, soloist, choir, whatever. So my solution is this: the composer name goes in the "artist" field, the "album" is the work, with tracks ("songs", ugh) titled "I. Allegro moderato" etc. The performer names get lost this way, but I can live with that. I will think to myself "I'd like to hear some Brahms", but never "I'd like to hear something played by the Kungsbacka Trio".
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: