The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:26:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Álvaro Cassuto (1938-): Orchestral Works from Naxos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Álvaro Cassuto (1938-): Orchestral Works from Naxos  (Read 246 times)
kyjo
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »

Now, we get to hear the orchestral music of the man who so ardently championed Braga Santos, Freitas Branco and other Portuguese composers:

Return to the Future; Song of Loneliness; Of Love and Peace; Visiting Friends; Antonio Rosado, piano (in Visiting Friends); RSNO/composer

My musical passions have always been the Classics and the orchestra and, therefore, to become both a composer and a conductor was a natural progression. However, intrigued by the sounds of the avant-garde, I adhered to the twelve-tone system and then to the Darmstadt school, until I realised that both had led me away from my musical origins, and to a dead end. All the works on this recording, written after I had “outgrown” my experimental period, are intended, therefore, to address the widest possible audience. – Álvaro Cassuto

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573266

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »

It seems rather ungrateful but I would rather have had the Braga Santos Piano and Viola Concertos or the Requiem.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:37 pm »

It seems rather ungrateful but I would rather have had the Braga Santos Piano and Viola Concertos or the Requiem.

Indeed!
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:41:10 am »

Well, not sure whether I am going to like Cassuto's works (one never knows before actually hearing), but I think that he was known as a composer (arguably, a modernist one) long before he came to the international scene as a conductor, and it had always seemed odd to me that Naxos would not consider recording his own music. While he may very well be a better conductor than composer, it is fair to at least give his own creations some exposure. Likewise, who remembers that one of the noted Venezuelan symphonists of the 20th century was José Antonio Abreu? I have not heard enough of the recent Weingartner CPO series to have an opinion, but Volkmar Andreae's orchestral works were definitely worth reviving. And then there are the more famous examples of Markevitch and, to a possibly lesser extent, Doráti and Furtwängler, or even Klemperer (even though I have not been bowled over by his 1st symphony), R. Kubelík, Matačić, Serebrier... A great conductor does not automatically hide a good composer, but when the composer "pre-existed", we should at least give him a try.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »

I would be very happy to hear music from the man who championed the music of one of the finest composers of our era, Joly Braga Santos.
Let the cards fall where they may, he certainly merits a play if anyone does.
Naxos has done us a fine service..we eagerly await the reviews (or do we?)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: