The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:15:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2013 Proms

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Proms  (Read 901 times)
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:26:09 am »

The Proms begin this Friday. Every year I tell myself that I will listen to a large number of the concerts at the BBC website, and this year I really hope to do so. Are there any dedicated Proms listeners here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lescamil
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:50 am »

It's a yearly tradition for me to record many of the concerts, especially the ones with world premieres. I'm not really interested in hearing most of the standard repertoire, although I probably will listen to most anyways. Can't wait for them to start soon!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:06:27 pm »

Usually try to attend 10 or so, though this year will be fewer, with work commitments. Fortunately the radio broadcasts, & the considerable number of recorded concerts on BBC TV, help massively when I'm 'on the road' working.
First RAH date this year July 29th, for Russian music + Colin Matthews. Sadly won't get to any Bantock concerts, or the George Lloyd one, so thank heavens for radio/TV.

Hope all my fellow enthusiasts here enjoy the season.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:51 pm »

I'm very excited, as I'm flying in from Japan and will be able to make two Proms: the Tippett/Henze one one the 1st August, and the VW/Holst one on the 12th: can't wait to hear 'Indra' in a real concert hall. I haven't been to the Proms since I was a student, which is a couple of decades now! If anyone's going to be at either, feel free to let me know!
Report Spam   Logged
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:20:54 pm »

It is great that some of you actually get to attend the concerts. I would have given anything to be present for Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony in 2011.

Let's keep this thread going for comments on this year's concerts.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:43 pm »

I'm very excited, as I'm flying in from Japan and will be able to make two Proms: the Tippett/Henze one one the 1st August, and the VW/Holst one on the 12th: can't wait to hear 'Indra' in a real concert hall. I haven't been to the Proms since I was a student, which is a couple of decades now! If anyone's going to be at either, feel free to let me know!
12th is one of my few dates - v. happy to have a beer & a chat !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:23:29 pm »

I arrived home from attending a series of Proms last week to find that my computer (along with all my recording and editing equipment) had given up the ghost. Hopefully this will be fixed, but not for a while yet - I am reliant upon laptops and such-like at the moment.

::)

Consequently I am unable to record Jurowski's performance of Bantock's The Witch of Atlas (Prom 64) which is still available on iplayer/ radioplayer (as rebroadcast on Afternoon on 3, 5th September) -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b039c5f8/Afternoon_on_3_Proms_2013_Repeats_Prom_64_Bantock_Prokofiev_Sibelius_and_Strauss/

This was a lovely rendition of the piece and I would be grateful if one of our kind members could provide a high-quality mp3 copy on the downloads board. Many thanks.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:43 pm »

I think I have found an alternative recording method and have (hopefully) recorded The Witch of Atlas, which I will upload to the archive tomorrow.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:20 am »

Not ye olde cassette deck by any chance? Says he hopefully! ::) Sales of cassettes have risen,apparently! :)

I'm not alone!! :o :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:38 am »

Did any if you manage to record Henze's Barcorola conducted ny Knussen from proms 26?  It is no longer available on BBC Proms website and I'd love to hear!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: