The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:42:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Solent. Fifty years of music by Ralph Vaughan Williams - Albion Records

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Solent. Fifty years of music by Ralph Vaughan Williams - Albion Records  (Read 2891 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:10 am »

;D Albion Records are releasing, what looks to be, an exciting CD of Vaughan Williams' premieres including his 'Three Impressions for Orchestra'. ;D

An absolute must buy for me :)

Fifty years of music by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Three Impressions For Orchestra (world première recording)
1 Burley Heath (completed by James Francis Brown) 5’31
2 The Solent 11’46
3 Harnham Down 6’54

Songs Of Travel (Book 1) arranged for baritone and orchestra by the composer
4 The Vagabond 2’57
5 The Roadside Fire 2’26
6 Bright is the Ring of Words 1’48

Four Hymns For Tenor, Viola Obbligato And Strings
7 Lord! Come away ~ Maestoso 3’52
8 Who is this fair one? ~ Andante moderato 4’43
9 Come Love, come Lord ~ Lento 3’40
10 Evening Hymn (O Gladsome Light) ~ Andante commoto 3’34
11 Weyhill Fair Song* 0’41

Incidental Music To The Mayor Of Casterbridge (world première recording)
12 Casterbridge 2’26
13 Intermezzo 2’19
14 Weyhill Fair (A to E) 1’57

Here is a link:http://www.mdt.co.uk/vaughan-williams-the-solent-fifty-paul-daniel-albion-records-2cds.html :D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

Excellent news :)

A must buy indeed. "The Solent" is quite quite beautiful :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »

Great! I was hoping that all the surviving material from the Impressions for Orchestra would be recorded together. What we need next is the Cambridge Mass (1898-99) ...

;D

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »

Indeed, excellent news :) I was not aware there was so much early RVW that had been unrecorded up until now!
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:20:40 pm »

Saw them advertised in last month's Society Journal, hopefully my continual nagging these past years to get all of these early works recorded has helped. We just need the Cambridge Mass and all of the piano/2 piano music recorded and then just about all of RVWs music is in recorded format.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »

Grin Albion Records are releasing, what looks to be, an exciting CD of Vaughan Williams' premieres including his 'Three Impressions for Orchestra'. Grin

An absolute must buy for me Smiley

I will be placing my order ASAP. Magnificent!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:50 am »

Wonderful news! This is the kind of release that comes slightly ahead of paying the rent and buying food in my order of priorities!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »

Am playing the CD since yesterday. We knew The Solent (1902-3) already from the archives of this site, and it is indeed the finest piece here. But Harnham Down (1904-7) is equally interesting, especially since it fills the gap between In the Fen Country (1904) and the Tallis Fantasia (1910). It is, as the booklet states, probably the best illustration of the 'dead end' that Vaughan Williams in 1908 felt he had come to and that made him decide to take some lessons with Ravel in Paris.

It is indeed fascinating to learn to know so many of his early compositions, both because they are fine music on their own and because they help us understand much better why we felt that he had only found his own voice with the Tallis Fantasia. Yet we can now hear in as early as in The Solent, and even in the very early (1898) Serenade. The incidental music to The Mayor of Casterbridge (1951) consists of a few minor episodes. What we are really waiting for, I suspect, is more of his theater music from the 1910s.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: