The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:18:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John Luke Rose

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Luke Rose  (Read 886 times)
Kinder
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:07 pm »

Has anybody come across the music of John Luke Rose?

In 1987 I heard a tantalising snatch of a broadcast of his violin concerto on a railway station platform, and as far as I am aware it has not been broadcast (nor have any other of this composer's works) since.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:58:30 pm »

Has anybody come across the music of John Luke Rose?

In 1987 I heard a tantalising snatch of a broadcast of his violin concerto on a railway station platform, and as far as I am aware it has not been broadcast (nor have any other of this composer's works) since.

There is this disc:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/music-of-john-luke-rose/oclc/54075868
Report Spam   Logged
Karl.Miller
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:38:43 am »

I have recordings of the First Symphony, Piano Concerto and the Violin Concerto. At one time I had them uploaded to rapidshare...no longer there. I will get around to them as part of the process of re uploading my stuff.

While it seems to me to be on the long side, I really do enjoy the Violin Concerto.

Karl

Report Spam   Logged
Kinder
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »

I have recordings of the First Symphony, Piano Concerto and the Violin Concerto. At one time I had them uploaded to rapidshare...no longer there. I will get around to them as part of the process of re uploading my stuff.

While it seems to me to be on the long side, I really do enjoy the Violin Concerto.

Karl

That's very kind of you: I will look forward to that.
Report Spam   Logged
Kinder
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »

Yes - I came across that in a search before I posted, but it doesn't actually seem to point to anything concrete - or am I missing something?
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:45:03 am »

Yes - I came across that in a search before I posted, but it doesn't actually seem to point to anything concrete - or am I missing something?

Perhaps it could be a  recording of the concert not a physical cd.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07:31 pm »

I sincerely hope so, this music should not be supressed in any way..
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:31:44 am »

I sincerely hope so, this music should not be supressed in any way..

The worldcat reference is to an off-air recording, held at the University of Texas, which has been transferred from tape to CDR. The broadcast was of Rose's Piano Concerto with David Wilde, piano, the BBC Scottish SO and Bryden Thomson (br. 25/7/1977) -

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search/0?searchtype=o&searcharg=54075868

If any member has this recording it would be a very welcome addition to the archive. As would Rose's Macbeth overture which was broadcast by the BBC Scottish SO under Bryden Thomson (25/6/1979).

Here is a photograph of the composer -

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Kinder
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »

If any member has this recording it would be a very welcome addition to the archive. As would Rose's Macbeth overture which was broadcast by the BBC Scottish SO under Bryden Thomson (25/6/1979).

Recordings of the Violin Concerto and the Symphony No. 1 have been placed in the archive: many thanks to Elroel: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,507.msg14124.html#msg14124
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:07:14 am »

Recordings of the Violin Concerto and the Symphony No. 1 have been placed in the archive: many thanks to Elroel: http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,507.msg14124.html#msg14124
Karl Miler has indicated he will post the Rose piano concerto soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:49:17 am »

I am intrigued. I have spent a lot of time on railway station platforms and never yet heard any obscure violin concertos. Details, please!
Report Spam   Logged
Kinder
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »

I am intrigued. I have spent a lot of time on railway station platforms and never yet heard any obscure violin concertos. Details, please!

Nothing particularly extraordinary, but I must admit it's unusual.  I was waiting for a train to Ipswich at Witham station in Essex one Sunday afternoon.  Somebody was playing a radio in one of the offices on another platform, and I deduced that it must be Radio 3.  (It was before the days of CFM.)  Several staff were amused, commenting something like "he's at it again!".  On return home I consulted the Radio Times and made the connection.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: