The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:07:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Holst Choral Symphony from Chandos

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holst Choral Symphony from Chandos  (Read 4923 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »

One of my favourite conductors. I must admit I was very dubious about the new Chandos recording as soon as I heard about it. The Boult is just so good. Hickox might have made a better job of it with his undoubted expertise in this repertory. Unfortunately,it was not to be! :(
Chandos should concentrate on recording music that isn't already available on cd in perfectly good recordings. I keep wondering what they are going to re-record next! :( >:(

Boult's recording benefits also from one less tangible quality that is far less easy to define.Atmosphere! The performance has oodles of it. That timeless,mysterious quality that is so suited to Holst's muse.

I recall seeing Boult on the tv when I was a youngster. Unlike so many flashier conductors,the one thing I seem to remember more than anything was how his hands barely seemed to move. None of that waving arms around semaphore style and podium pirouettes you see to often these days.!

A total contrast to one of my least favourite conductors. Bernstein!! Can't stand the man or his conducting;although even I'll admit,his recordings of American composers are,generally speaking,second to none.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: