The Art-Music Forum
February 22, 2020, 06:32:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Holst Choral Symphony from Chandos

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holst Choral Symphony from Chandos  (Read 3979 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:47 pm »

I love it! Maybe it meanders a little here & there,but when music is as lovely,atmospheric & mystical as this who cares? In fact,it's possibly my favourite work by Holst,too. I certainly play it allot more than 'The Planets'!
I have to say,however,that like 'Expi',I can't say I feel particularly excited by the prospect of a new recording. A release of a complete recording of the rather wonderful 'The Perfect Fool' opera (another favourite),yes;but the Boult recording is so good I just simply don't need another one!
As to the Hyperion recording. I didn't like it at all. The recording was awful for a start. I had to keep fiddling with the controls. As soon as the orchestra sounded loud enough I was having to turn it up to hear the singing. And back again! Also the whole performance seemed listless. I took it to a charity shop (after 'ripping' a copy for reference purposes only)!! Sad The Boult is superb! The Lp used to be in the library years ago,and I remember waiting two or three years before I finally obtained it on cd. The sellers were asking horrible prices! Luckily emi came to the rescue with that marvellous 'twofer' coupled with his lovely one act operas!
Anyway,to sum up;while I'm not against the idea of a new recording......and it's been a heck of a long time coming (it remember it being discussed endlessly on the old Chandos Forum,not the recently deceased one!)....I just can't see any need whatsoever in spending my cash on a new cd,when the Boult is just so-oo good?!! Huh

Also,call me an old fogey;but I just don't like allot of the singers now!!

What perfectly good recordings are Chandos going to replace next?!! Roll Eyes Huh I remember 'the Hurwitz' (as some refer to him) ranting on about how Chandos were running out of ideas. I scoffed at the time;but looking back it,I think he was probably right!! Sad

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: