The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:48:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Norwegian Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norwegian Music  (Read 4110 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:11 am »

The link that relm1 has posted seems to be sheet music.

The link item that says "format: cd" is sheet music?  The contents of which exactly match my cd?  But what do I know.  And someone else posted to the Amazon link which is the same CD for the same price I paid for it.
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:12 am »

My thanks too for the rare Haug recording.
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »

An article on the performance of Symphony No. 4
http://www.ballade.no/sak/oslo-filharmonien-urfremforer-halvor-haugs-symfoni-nr-4/

There is no doubt that Haug's music has deep roots in the Nordic symphonic tradition. From these roots has grown a musical world full of strong emotion, drama and intellect; properties reflecting the composers personality, feelings, temperament, courage strength and originality. His masterly orchestration is much revered. Halvor Haug has the ability to take care of modernistic elements and composition techniques that have emerged in the postwar years and dynamically apply these in a more traditional sounding music. Haug's music can therefore really be seen as innovative, and difficult counted among the neo-romantic undercurrents currently going over the world. Nevertheless he on several occasions been described as being a romantic.

Halvor Haug was born in Trondheim in 1952 and grew up in west Bærum outside Oslo. Following studies in Oslo, Helsinki and London he soon became one of Norway's most significant composers. His symphonies and many smaller orchestral works have attracted significant attention in Norwegian and international music.

About his fourth symphony says Halvor Haug: - Symphony No.. 4 was completed before Christmas. It is written in a single rate for a typical large orchestra. The work is dedicated to all the innocent victims of terrorism and their families around the world. On me, as on most other people, did what happened last autumn a huge impression. The only way I can show a commitment to, or try to express emotion, to let it get expired in music. Of course I have not embarked me on to try and describe such earthshaking events. It was never in my thoughts. An artistic expression is for me my way to signal an attempt to communicate on an intellectual and emotional level. To use an expression needs to describe something as cruel as what happened on September 11, would be unthinkable for me. Then an expression means grotesque and incredibly naive. The symphony is naturally characterized by the impotence and sadness I felt, but after all, I hope that also an optimism has been expressed. Without it I would never have been able to write a new symphony.

Symphony No.. 4 is commissioned by the Oslo Philharmonic, with funding from the Norwegian Society of Composers. Administration performed in Oslo Concert at 19.30, Thursday 14th and Friday 15th February 2002. On the program are Mozart's "Requiem".
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 02:26:09 pm »

m4a is unusable.  Can you provide mp3?  Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »

I have a Mac there's a little program you can download called Switch which enables you to convert various sound file formats to each other. It takes a couple of minutes to convert an m4a to mp3.

Switch is trialware, ie after a certain number of uses it locks and you have to pay for it (can't remember how much it was). However, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a similar free product, for Mac or PC.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 09:57:17 pm »

I have a Mac there's a little program you can download called Switch which enables you to convert various sound file formats to each other. It takes a couple of minutes to convert an m4a to mp3.

Switch is trialware, ie after a certain number of uses it locks and you have to pay for it (can't remember how much it was). However, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a similar free product, for Mac or PC.
agreed..there are many free conversion programs for The PC and MAC
C-net should be of help.
http://index.about.com/index?q=Free+Convert+Mp4+to+MP3&qsrc=6&o=29572&l=sem&qo=relatedSearchNarrow
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »

Roxio Creator NXT Pro also has a very good converter.

OF
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

I remember a very impressive piece by John Persen on that Unicorn double LP of Norwegian music that Per Dreir made in the 70s; I shall be very interested to hear another piece by him, so thanks magmasystems for the upload. And of course I concur that any more Solderlind is always welcome, if you have any?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 02:06:48 am »

As a huge admirer of the music of Ragnar Soderlind can I express my heartfelt gratitude to magmasystems for the upload of the Requiem.

This massive work dates from 2009 and its full title is “A Nordic Requiem: a Mass for the Living and the Dead” for seven soloists, chorus and orchestra, op.104.

Given the size and scope of the work-it lasts for well over 2 hours and the tragic neglect of Soderlind this is, almost certainly, our only opportunity to hear it.

Profound thanks :)
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 03:23:10 am »

I have always been a huge fan of Soderlind ever since the piece about the desert (name escapes me) for Oboe and orchestra.  I am so thrilled to have this, Colin!  Malcolm
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

It's a pleasure to provide this to the members of the forum. Enjoy. I often feel that this forum is the only gather spot for fans of Ragnar :-)

Now we have to do a bit of the same for Halvor Haug !
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 03:43:14 pm »

I have always been a huge fan of Soderlind ever since the piece about the desert (name escapes me) for Oboe and orchestra.  I am so thrilled to have this, Colin!  Malcolm

"Two Pieces from the Desert" for Oboe and small orchestra, op.21B (1973/75). I have not heard that work, Malcolm.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:19 pm »

Wonderful to have Soderlind's Requiem, - I concur.  Thanks for this.
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »

Dundonnell:

I wish I could upload things but I am all thumbs when it comes to computers....Soderlind's "Two Pieces from the Desert" for oboe and orchestra might be his most exciting works.  Hopefully someone on this site will have it and know how to upload it.  If not, I can always send you a copy in the mail.  Malito (Malcolm)
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 01:09:04 pm »

I didn't even know that this was on YouTube already:

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: