The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:00:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Norwegian Music

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norwegian Music  (Read 4101 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »

It rather reinforces the point I made in the first sentence of my post about Halvor Haug that I had to start a new thread in order to thank Mathias for posting an upload of Haug's "Il Preludio dell Ignoto" :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:00 am »

"Ragnar Söderlind (b. 1945)

Symphony No. 5 ‘Kvitsunn’ Op. 60 (1995)"

What does Kvitsunn mean? I get "white health" out of Google Translate!?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

"Whitsunday".
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:57 am »

Many thanks to rbert12 for the two pieces by Knut Nystedt :)

I had not heard that Nystedt-the doyen of Norwegian composers-had actually died last December at the grand age of 99.  Nystedt was a very interesting composer. I compiled a catalogue of his orchestral and choral music which is probably still to be found on this website. The choral music was probably slightly better known but-in common with most Norwegian composers-Nystedt's music remains mostly unknown outside Norway. It is lamentable and very very sad that the Norwegians have been so much more shy than say the Danes or Finns in making music by their native composers available on disc.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »

For those interested (and I know at least one or two of you would be  :D) I just posted a link to a recording of Halvor Haug's Symphony no 4, which I was fortunate enough to obtain from a fellow collector in another forum.  He recorded it from Swedish radio some years ago, but I'm reasonably certain that the performance itself comes from the infamous, elusive "Warner/Chappell promotional CD" that also contains the fifth symphony.  For those of you scrupulous enough to balk at downloading a recording that originates, even at one or two removes, with a CD, relax! I cleared it with forum management before posting it   ;D.  Enjoy!

Four down, one to go...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »

I suspect that you just may be referring to me (amongst others no doubt) ;D ;D

Well...since I am on record as repeatedly begging for a recording of the Haug Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 without really believing that my entreaties would be satisfied.........

all I can say is a heartfelt Thank You :)

Already the Fourth Symphony reinforces my very high opinion of Haug the composer and my deep regret that his compositional voice seems to have fallen silent.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:33 pm »

A perfectly reasonable suspicion, Colin!   ;)
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:35:17 am »

Thanks for Haug 4, a wonderful piece. Do I understand you to say there is a recording of No.1 available somewhere?
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:39:42 am »

Whoops, I mena No.2, that's the one I'm missing of the first 4.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:11:14 am »

I have haug's symphonies no. 1, 2, 3 but they are commercial releases I am sure easily available online...all are fine works.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »

Haug's no. 2 was available on an Aurora (or possibly Simax, not quite sure without checking) CD that I'm pretty sure is out of print but that still occasionally shows up on Amazon, albeit at generally inflated prices, or maybe even e-bay.  I managed to snag a copy on amazon.de or.uk within the past year or so at a not too outrageous price, but I can't find any current listings.  It also used to be available as a download at some Norwegian site that I can no longer find.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »

Haug's no. 2 was available on an Aurora (or possibly Simax, not quite sure without checking) CD that I'm pretty sure is out of print but that still occasionally shows up on Amazon, albeit at generally inflated prices, or maybe even e-bay.  I managed to snag a copy on amazon.de or.uk within the past year or so at a not too outrageous price, but I can't find any current listings.  It also used to be available as a download at some Norwegian site that I can no longer find.

The publisher has this CD for sale:
http://nb.bibits.no/wsRecInfo.asp?idno=57268&UnitId=0&DocGrp=0&SearchUnitId=0&LoanUnitId=1&comb=AND&sString=FO=haug,%20halvorAND%20TITLE_DOCUMENT_GROUP_ID=3AND%20searchUnitId0&page=2&language=Eng

In fact, all symphonies (including No. 5) are available on CD from the publisher.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »

Here's a listing from amazon.com for the Haug no 2 at the perfectly reasonable price of US$19.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001PC5MNM/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=1-6&qid=1426187418

Relm1, are you SURE CDs of the Haug symphonies are available for purchase via the link you posted?  I'm still pretty unhandy at finding my way around the web sometimes, so it could be I'm just being stupid, but I haven't been able to make the right connections so far.  If I could get it to work I would certainly purchase the fifth (or fourth and fifth, as the case may be).
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 10:52:30 pm »

The link that relm1 has posted seems to be sheet music.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 02:11:49 am »

That's what I thought too.  I was just wondering if there was a link for CDs/recordings that I had managed to miss.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: