The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:17:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Opus Sorabjianum: New Book on Sorabji

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opus Sorabjianum: New Book on Sorabji  (Read 1217 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:15 am »

Marc-André Roberge's long-awaited volume on Sorabji - Opus Sorabjianum - has now been published and is available for free download (see http://www.mus.ulaval.ca/roberge/srs/07-prese.htm for details).

This is, without doubt, the most important scholarly work on Sorabji since the publication in 1992 of Sorabji: A Critical Celebration, ed. Paul Rapoport (Scolar Press [now Ashgate Publishing], Aldershot [now Farnham], England; repr. 1994).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest54
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:23 am »

Thank you Mr. H - an important composer, whose works are not as well known as they should be; obviously M. Roberge has put in a great deal of praiseworthy effort and enthusiasm. I am looking forward to reading his book - with its 1,958 foot-notes! - starting from this very evening, and I hope at last to find answers to a number of questions I have long harboured in relation to Sorabji and his musical thought.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »

Thank you Mr. H - an important composer, whose works are not as well known as they should be; obviously M. Roberge has put in a great deal of praiseworthy effort and enthusiasm. I am looking forward to reading his book - with its 1,958 foot-notes! - starting from this very evening, and I hope at last to find answers to a number of questions I have long harboured in relation to Sorabji and his musical thought.
I agree entirely with your sentiments here and, although Sorabji's music is indeed not yet as well known as they should be, the difference between the state of Sorabji apprecation today and that of, say, three decades ago is nevertheless immense; during that time there have been many hundreds of performances and many tens of broadcasts in more than two dozen countries, almost 40 recordings (many of which remain available today) and the scholarly works of various musicologists, perhaps most notably Paul Rapoport, Simon Abrahams and Sean Vaughn Owen, in addition to which the scores of his entire extant œuvre and known published literary writings have become readily available both in paper and .pdf formats - there have also been many new editions of his scores made, the earliest to be done being by hand but the majority typeset.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 09:59:22 pm »

I came on this evening hoping for a recommendation of something to read on Sorabji. To say I am well satisfied would be an understatement!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:13:42 pm »

I came on this evening hoping for a recommendation of something to read on Sorabji. To say I am well satisfied would be an understatement!

That's a result!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 05:10:41 pm »

I have only just seen this, hence the delayed response for which all due apologies.

There is also Sean Vaughn Owen's oral biography which is likewise available at www.sorabji-archive.co.uk free of charge and, much earlier than either, Paul Rapoport's Sorabji: A Critical Celebration. There is other information on the website, of course.

Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact The Sorabji Archive at sorabji.archive@gmail.com .
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 07:16:51 am »

Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact The Sorabji Archive at sorabji.archive@gmail.com .

Believe me, The Sorabji Archive is on my reading list - a very useful resource.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: