The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:46:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Melodies Lyriques

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melodies Lyriques  (Read 644 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »

The French art-song seems to be a rather neglected form these days? 

Indeed, even speaking French at all today is now considered to be a character flaw, verging on treason?  ???

By way of redressing the balance, here's a clip of the magnificent French baritone Gérard Souzay singing Duparc's melodie L'invitation au voyage (to Baudelaire's verse). I post this not only because it's such a marvellous performance... but also because I had never seen the video footage of this performance until today, and believed it existed only in an audio version.  Perhaps an expert can confirm that it is indeed the well-known recording with Dalton Baldwin, and Baldwin is the (uncredited) pianist who appears in-shot in the clip?

L'Invitation Au Voyage

Would other members like to share favourite performances or pieces from this French art-song repertoire? :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »

I like Duparc the best  and I accompanied it a few years ago.

But a few days ago there was interesting program about young Debussy starting his career and his affair with Blanche Vasnier, wife of a Parisian lawyer.

They played several songs and I thought they were very good.

I think I like Faure more.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »

Since Verlaine's poem SPLEEN has been (peripherally) mentioned on the Sorabji thread, I thought it would be worth posting Faure's marvellous setting of Verlaine's text - especially since there is - once again - a recording available by Gérard Souzay :)

Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:00 pm »

Thanks  for that Neil.

I looked at Chausson. I don't really know his songs, but I listened to this one.

Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »

Thanks  for that Neil.

I looked at Chausson. I don't really know his songs, but I listened to this one.

Along with Fauré, Debussy and Duparc, one of the great French song composers, without any doubt - one of the great French composers per se, indeed...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: