The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:09:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96639 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: July 03, 2022, 02:40:32 pm »

Auber: La Muette de Portici Alfredo Kraus,June Andersen,John Aler,Jean-Philippe Lafont  Ensemble Choral Jean Laforge Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo / Thomas Fulton   emi 2 cd's

I love there operas by French composers like Auber,Adam and Boieldieu (and Herold,it seems!) :) As some members will know,this is probably the only opera ever to precipitate a revolution! Although,the truth has been romanticised,as usual,with such tales! It's also a key work in operatic history,as the first 'grand' opera! Needless to say,the music is a delight! Composers like Auber really knew how to serve up the goods when it comes to colorful,tuneful scores. I have the Cpo recording as well which is very good & generally regarded as superior. This emi set is pretty decent to my ears (albeit,not outstanding) and it's usually much cheaper s/h! Alfredo Kraus was knocking on (aren't we all?!) when he recorded this! The dumb heroine (literally,in this instance!) jumps into a volcano (Vesuvius) at the end of the opera,as you do!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: