The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:43:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97263 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: June 04, 2022, 07:54:49 pm »

Lehar: Paganini (1925)    Accord 2 cd's

(complete, with abridged dialogue in French)
Robert Massard (ten) Paganini; Roméo Carles (bar) Pimpinelli; Colette Riedinger (sop) Anna-Elisa; Geori Boue (sop) Bella
Henri Merckel (violin)
Orchestre and choirs / Pierre Dervaux  Accord 2 cd's
Rec. Universal (Decca) France Studios, Antony, France 1955 Mono

A good recording of this operetta,in mono sound. The best known number of which,in it's english version,might not go down so well with feminist's and the #Me Too movement,these days! Like most of these old French recording's of operetta made (mainly) in the 50's and 60's,the singing is of a very high standard and the dialogue is performed almost like a play,with judicious use of sound effects & ambience (chattering voices and/or music in the background) where required. Interestingly,it took until 1982 for a 'complete' recording to be released by a German recording label (emi-electrola). That one had Anneliese Rothenberger and Nicolai Gedda,and had the benefit of stereo,but I don't have it,because it's been deleted and Sellers ask ridiculous prices. In lieu of that I've had to make do with a very good 1952 recording conducted by Franz Marszalek (available on the Membran label,but now deleted) who was one of the best advocates of this genre of entertainment,and a vintage cast that includes Anny Schlemm and Peter Anders,who is rated very highly by fans of operetta in German speaking lands. And very good he is too! A few more years and he may have recorded some operetta in stereo,but he was tragically killed in a car accident in 1954 at the of 46! The only other recording I have is a 1960's selection of excerpts from the operetta with Rudolf Schock and Margit Schramm (A reissue of the original Eurodisc Lp). The photo of the Accord set on this page is of my own copy & I took the price sticker off specially. (With a little help from a Q stick & isopropyl alcohol! ::))

The mono Membran 2 cd set                      The stereo 2 cd electrola reissue I can't afford!        Eurodisc highlight's  (Original Lp artwork & bad wig/hair day! ::) ;D)                           

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: