The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:43:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97807 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 24, 2018, 11:45:02 am »

On now. Cd 1 of this 3 cd set. The Martinu symphony,much as I love it,was a bit much at circa,midnight,after a lager;so I put this on,instead. I got this & the early,Alan Rowlands set of John Ireland's piano music,coutesy of Lyrita's Black Friday 50% off sale. These recording made between 1959 and 1965,are in mono,but wonderfully atmospheric. These were originall released on 3 Lp's & are amongst the earliest Lyrita issues. A fourth Lp of shorter pieces was never released,for some reason;and this box set,provides the first opportunity to hear them. The recordings were made in Richard Itter's music room. Iris Loveridge really gets to the soul of this music like no other,imho. The mono tape recordings only add to the atmosphere of some of the more introverted,gloomy pieces. I do find it strange that there is nothing about the pianist in the booklet provided. Yes,you can find out about her online;but it does seem an odd oversight. Iris Loveridge isn't exactly a household name these days,and I think it would have been nice to have written something about her. Anyway,perhaps there is some,justifiable reason for this? Grumbling aside,this is a wonderful release. I love Bax's piano music,and I wouldn't be without this set. It might even be my first port of call,for this,oft overlooked,aspect of Bax's prolific output. The mono sound is very clear. A slight,background,tape hiss audible.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: