The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:22:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96703 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: June 28, 2018, 11:36:57 am »

Playing,now. The Wyn Morris Beethoven cycle continues,with his recordings of No's 7 & 8. Dubbed the "Welsh Furtwangler". There was a time when you seemed to find these IMP cd's in places like Woolworths and WH Smiths. I like André's description (at the GMG,in reply to my post,on the "What are you listening to?" thread) of Wyn Morris' conducting. "A potent mix of big, bold playing, allied to interpretive gruffness. Splendidly recorded, too". Very fiery. Yet,I like the more serene passages in the Sixth symphony. I think Wyn Morris could have been a much more famous conductor? (We'll never know!) His biographies and obituaries make very interesting reading. His personality seems to have been as gruff and fiery as his Beethoven. He seems to have destroyed his own career by rubbing everyone up the wrong way. He also got some publicity,I remember,for getting Margaret Thatcher to narrate a recording of Copland's Lincoln Portrait. I don't want to get into politics here,but I think I will give that one a miss! There does seem to be a slight renewal of interest in his work,recently. His conducting got rave reviews and critical acclaim at the time. It was all downhill,then! :( He was also known for his Mahler. The only Mahler recording I have by him is of No 5. I like that very much. I remember the s/h cd I bought had scratches and scuff marks all over it,but always seems to play! There does seem to be a bit of a renewal of interest in his conducting,lately. Most of the comments I've read online are very positive. I have read that he used modern orchestras,but had a HIP approach. I wouldn't know about that;but I like what I'm hearing! :) If anyone (who hasn't heard his conducting) wants to hear his Beethoven,some of the IMP & Pickwick cd's can be found very cheaply s/h.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: