The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:49:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96694 times)
guest822
« Reply #3540 on: June 25, 2022, 10:11:00 am »

Wel,I didn't have to worry too much about someone telling me it was rubbish,with the forum this quiet! (Although,someone may yet oblige?!! ;D) At this rate I might even get away with extolling my love of the creative output of Tikhon Khrennikov! :o ;D (If I had a pound for every locked thread that has resulted from the mere mention of his name?!!)

On a more positive note,I just bought a s/h copy of this 2 cd set,from a seller on Ebay :)!

Well, you won't be surprised to hear from me on this topic. Make sure you have plenty of hankies ready for The Death of Minnehaha. It would make a glass eye weep. Apparently, even Stanford blubbed when he heard it. One of my Desert Island discs, this.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: June 25, 2022, 01:57:47 pm »

Wel,I didn't have to worry too much about someone telling me it was rubbish,with the forum this quiet! (Although,someone may yet oblige?!! ;D) At this rate I might even get away with extolling my love of the creative output of Tikhon Khrennikov! :o ;D (If I had a pound for every locked thread that has resulted from the mere mention of his name?!!)

On a more positive note,I just bought a s/h copy of this 2 cd set,from a seller on Ebay :)!

Well, you won't be surprised to hear from me on this topic. Make sure you have plenty of hankies ready for The Death of Minnehaha. It would make a glass eye weep. Apparently, even Stanford blubbed when he heard it. One of my Desert Island discs, this.
;D Luckily,I bought a big roll of triple-ply,extra strong kitchen roll yesterday! I could't resist this at the low price offered! (I logged back on after midnight,having resisted it! I was wondering if they'd lowered the price a bit more? Then I though,"Oh,what the he**!)  As you will know,the Argo set has been deleted & sellers ask exorbitant prices!) I've read your numerous posts about Coleridge-Taylor here! He also was an intriguing part of the English musical renaissance,as it often dubbed,and a glaring omission from my collection! And who could resist a box set with such colourful artwork?!! Hopefully,the nice booklet,notes and slip case intact?!! ( You can't be sure with some of the big sellers! Stock photos & everything marked,"Very good!")
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:17:36 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: June 25, 2022, 10:02:20 pm »

Re: Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha trilogy!

This may be one bug I'm glad to contract,then?!! ;D Just out of interest! What do you think of the old,'classic' Sargent recording? I mean the stereo recording,not the 1929 recording,of course! (I looked the work up,today,on Wikipedia)

I also seem to recall having a 78rpm of Webster Booth singing "Onaway! Awake,Beloved. That record must have sold allot of copies! I gather that allot of people who didn't know a single note of anything else that Coleridge-Taylor wrote (or even who composed it!) got to know the song via that recording. A brief search with google brought up three other 78rpm records with Tudor Davies,John McHugh and,titter ye not ;D........Frank Titterton! Confusingly,for me,the same search brought up recordings of "Onaway! Awake,Beloved" sung by Mr Harry Dearth and Stanley Holloway (baritone). But,of course the music,in that instance,is by Frederic Cowen! Sargent recorded Hiawatha's Wedding Feast in 1929! So you could have listened to the whole piece on 78rpm records! Giving your right arm (or left?) a good ol' work-out in between sides! According to Wikipedia "Sargent recorded the Death of Minnehaha with the same choral and orchestral forces as for the 1929 Hiawatha's Wedding Feast". I had no idea he'd recorded the second part! But,when I looked it up,there it was in Sargent's discography!!
Incidentally,I found a photo of the radiogram my grandmother (my mum's mother) owned! (See below!) It was a beauty (albet,a bit of a monster!) I seem to recall people saying it had a nice (rich) sound to it!

Malcolm Sargent discography! https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11682899#Discography

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3543 on: June 26, 2022, 02:30:44 pm »

Re: Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha trilogy!

This may be one bug I'm glad to contract,then?!! ;D Just out of interest! What do you think of the old,'classic' Sargent recording? I mean the stereo recording,not the 1929 recording,of course! (I looked the work up,today,on Wikipedia)

I also seem to recall having a 78rpm of Webster Booth singing "Onaway! Awake,Beloved. That record must have sold allot of copies! I gather that allot of people who didn't know a single note of anything else that Coleridge-Taylor wrote (or even who composed it!) got to know the song via that recording. A brief search with google brought up three other 78rpm records with Tudor Davies,John McHugh and,titter ye not ;D........Frank Titterton! Confusingly,for me,the same search brought up recordings of "Onaway! Awake,Beloved" sung by Mr Harry Dearth and Stanley Holloway (baritone). But,of course the music,in that instance,is by Frederic Cowen! Sargent recorded Hiawatha's Wedding Feast in 1929! So you could have listened to the whole piece on 78rpm records! Giving your right arm (or left?) a good ol' work-out in between sides! According to Wikipedia "Sargent recorded the Death of Minnehaha with the same choral and orchestral forces as for the 1929 Hiawatha's Wedding Feast". I had no idea he'd recorded the second part! But,when I looked it up,there it was in Sargent's discography!!
Incidentally,I found a photo of the radiogram my grandmother (my mum's mother) owned! (See below!) It was a beauty (albet,a bit of a monster!) I seem to recall people saying it had a nice (rich) sound to it!

Malcolm Sargent discography! https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11682899#Discography

Since you ask, in my opinion the Sargent stereo recording of the Wedding Feast from 1962 has never been bettered so far as interpretation is concerned and apart from any other consideration it has your compatriot Richard Lewis singing "Onaway! Awake, Beloved", a performance that brings a tear to the eye and the goose-pimples rising every time I hear it. The sound is showing its age somewhat, though to a much lesser extent than that Sargent recording of The Death of Minnehaha from 1930 to which you refer! You won't be surprised to learn that I actually have a copy of that (with  Elsie Suddaby (soprano) Howard Fry (tenor) and George Baker (baritone))

I also have the Tudor Davies recording of  "Onaway! Awake, Beloved", as well as recordings of other SC-T items derived from 78s by John McCormack (from 1926) Peter Dawson (1934) Dorothy Maynor (1940) Arthur Reckless (1935), and some LP derivations from both Stuart Burrows and Felicity Palmer. All good stuff!!

I love the radiogram too. Ah, thems was the days!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: June 26, 2022, 06:50:39 pm »

I have MP3s of both "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast" and "The Death of Minnehaha" conducted by Sargent in good recordings. Let me know if you need them. In the meantime, the Argo (Kenneth Alwyn) set is the one to go for, although there's also an excellent performance of the whole shebang from a Three Choirs Festival performance in the archive (PM me). It's odd that Sargent didn't record "Hiawatha's Departure" to complete the trilogy...

:)

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3545 on: June 26, 2022, 07:22:48 pm »

I have MP3s of both "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast" and "The Death of Minnehaha" conducted by Sargent in good recordings. Let me know if you need them. In the meantime, the Argo (Kenneth Alwyn) set is the one to go for, although there's also an excellent performance of the whole shebang from a Three Choirs Festival performance in the archive (PM me). It's odd that Sargent didn't record "Hiawatha's Departure" to complete the trilogy...

I've often thought the same, especially as the forces were gathered annually for the jamborees at the RAH. Ditto the ballet music which Watha used to conduct, I think. Oh well...
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3546 on: June 26, 2022, 07:25:49 pm »

BTW, I have the Three Choirs recording from the archive you mention and agree that it's very good. 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: June 26, 2022, 08:14:43 pm »

Hans Pfitzner is good stuff (his opera Palestrina, 1917, is well worth a listen), Rufinatscha is shoddy and dull (no wonder Chandos aborted after "volume 1"). Have you tried Reznicek? There have been some great recordings on CPO...

;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:25:18 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: June 27, 2022, 10:29:30 am »

Thank you for that! Needless to say,I've downloaded the lot! :o ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: June 27, 2022, 10:45:24 am »

There's a chap at the GMG forum (Mirror Image) who thinks that Pfitzner's Violin Concerto is one of the great unsung romantic violin concertos! I'm inclined to agree! The Cpo recording is very good (to my ears) but it would be nice if some other label's took an interest. The Cello Concertos are good,too. In fact,I've enjoyed & been impressed by everything I've heard by him. He also made recordings of his music which are well worth hearing & in decent (for the 1920's!) sound.

Reznicek?! Uh-oh! More expense!! ::) ;D I'd forgotten about him. I have read some enthusiastic reviews of the Cpo cd's,over the last couple of years! I'll have to resist for now,though! I've just spent a small fortune on a load of..........shock,horror,paper reference books! I quite like them & I thought they would come in useful if I go offline (as the terminology goes) at some point! (Or there's a nuclear war!! ::)).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:26:19 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: June 27, 2022, 10:58:38 am »

It seems a pity that the 1929 recording and Death of Minnehaha by Sargent (appear to) have never been,commercially,released on cd,with lot's of nice booklet notes and,maybe,a photo or two?!! I did a search on Amazon & google,to no avail! :(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: June 27, 2022, 12:19:30 pm »

Talking of links to Coleridge-Taylor! Can anyone here supply me with a "link" to the Malcolm Williamson files here?!! I,recently,enjoyed listening to his opera Our Man in Havana (which really does deserve a commercial cd release! Come on Chandos! ;D) and I acquired Volume 2 of Chandos orchestral works series. Incidentally,will we ever get a Volume 3? I can understand Chandos dumping Rufinatscha,but Malcolm Williamson strikes me as an intriguing figure,who deserves a reappraisal and forgiveness,thereby,for his past failings! (Heck! Nobody's perfect!)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:07:28 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: June 28, 2022, 01:36:43 pm »

Arrived today in "very good" condition & no stale baccy smell! :) Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha Trilogy    Argo 2 cd's

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:27:18 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: July 02, 2022, 05:02:24 pm »

Talking of links to Coleridge-Taylor! Can anyone here supply me with a "link" to the Malcolm Williamson files here?!! I,recently,enjoyed listening to his opera Our Man in Havana (which really does deserve a commercial cd release! Come on Chandos! ;D) and I acquired Volume 2 of Chandos orchestral works series. Incidentally,will we ever get a Volume 3? I can understand Chandos dumping Rufinatscha,but Malcolm Williamson strikes me as an intriguing figure,who deserves a reappraisal and forgiveness,thereby,for his past failings! (Heck! Nobody's perfect!)

I certainly can, and I will send you the link by PM. Meanwhile, do get the two-disc Hyperion set of the Piano Concertos - they are great!

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #3554 on: July 02, 2022, 06:01:39 pm »

I certainly can, and I will send you the link by PM. Meanwhile, do get the two-disc Hyperion set of the Piano Concertos - they are great!

;)

I have that Hyperion set (as a download) and I heartily concur with Albion's assessment.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: