The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:55:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97192 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: May 31, 2022, 05:04:23 pm »

Robert Schumann: Carnaval,Kreisleriana    Mitsuko Uchida (piano)        Philips

Back to the aknowledged greats! There's not much I can say about this music that hasn't been expressed far more eloquently than other's umpteen times before! Least to say this make's very enjoyable and satisfying listening. Schumann was one of those tortured geniuses,beloved of the media. Did Hollywood ever make a movie about him? I'll have to find out? Although,I'm not sure I'll want to watch it! Perhaps,Merle Oberon as Clara Schumann?! Tortured geniuses are obviously intriguing! They certainly intrigue me! Although,I'm not sure severing part of my ear lobe and posting it to the nearest (this portion of the text,censored!) would enhace my painting & writing career?! And I don't like blood! :o Except the eight pints circulating inside my body right at this very moment! Like H....H...Hancock,I need that,thankyou! ;D
Ahem! ::) ;D I have the Deutsche Grammophon boxed set of Kempff playing Schumann in the pile,next to the mini hi-fi,and I will reach that in due course! :)

Yes, a superb disc! There are currently approximately 8 pints of 9% Karpakie circulating around my body (I lost count after a Draeseke-fest, which happily passed-by largely comatose)...

:D
Nice to hear from you again! :) Karpakie?! All my years of pubbing and I had to look that one up! I wish I'd known! I could have stocked up for the Jubilee bank holiday! Not that I'm a royalist,but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (an excuse to buy booze!). I remember asking my dad,when I first started going to pubs,what to drink? He suggested best bitter! I spent the next forty odd years drinking the stuff (including ALLOT of pretty foul tasting & VERY strong real ale only to find out years later that he ALWAYS drank lager! :o :( On asking why he told me drink bitter,I was told that it was just what most (Welsh) blokes drank! Actually,I quite like a drop of real ale;just not some of the stuff they serve in Welsh pubs!!

Be careful how much you drink if you're listening to Rufinatscha! Some of them are so long,you might not wake up!! :o

Yes,the Uchida cd is excellent! The Schumannothon continuing with this! Cd 1,playing at present! (5:07 pm BST)

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: May 31, 2022, 05:43:34 pm »

,I quite like a drop of real ale;just not some of the stuff they serve in Welsh pubs!! Be careful how much you drink if you're listening to Rufinatscha! Some of them are so long,you might not wake up!! :o

Yes,the Uchida cd is excellent! The Schumannothon continuing with this! Cd 1,playing at present! (5:07 pm BST)

Death by tedium - no wonder Chandos gave up after "volume 1" as the skips arrived to cart off the shoddy unsold goods. At least Cipriani Potter's lovely scribbles can be sorted, but apparently Ruffi's can't (was it symphony 3 and half, symphony 6 or symphony twelvty?), even by the likes of such regarded scholars as An*s H*we....

:D :D :D

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3527 on: May 31, 2022, 06:10:35 pm »

,I quite like a drop of real ale;just not some of the stuff they serve in Welsh pubs!! Be careful how much you drink if you're listening to Rufinatscha! Some of them are so long,you might not wake up!! :o

Death by tedium - no wonder Chandos gave up after "volume 1" as the skips arrived to cart off the shoddy unsold goods. At least Cipriani Potter's lovely scribbles can be sorted, but apparently Ruffi's can't (was it symphony 3 and half, symphony 6 or symphony twelvty?), even by the likes of such regarded scholars as An*s H*we....

Quite so. If ever a composer was deservedly consigned to obscurity, it was Rufinatscha.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: May 31, 2022, 07:30:49 pm »

Quite so. If ever a composer was deservedly consigned to obscurity, it was Rufinatscha.

Yep, bum-fodder methinks. Whereas Cowen and Mackanzie are, as yet, undiscovered delights. Let's raise a cheer (and a mug of beer) for poor old Henry Gadsby...

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1708.0.html

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: June 04, 2022, 07:54:49 pm »

Lehar: Paganini (1925)    Accord 2 cd's

(complete, with abridged dialogue in French)
Robert Massard (ten) Paganini; Roméo Carles (bar) Pimpinelli; Colette Riedinger (sop) Anna-Elisa; Geori Boue (sop) Bella
Henri Merckel (violin)
Orchestre and choirs / Pierre Dervaux  Accord 2 cd's
Rec. Universal (Decca) France Studios, Antony, France 1955 Mono

A good recording of this operetta,in mono sound. The best known number of which,in it's english version,might not go down so well with feminist's and the #Me Too movement,these days! Like most of these old French recording's of operetta made (mainly) in the 50's and 60's,the singing is of a very high standard and the dialogue is performed almost like a play,with judicious use of sound effects & ambience (chattering voices and/or music in the background) where required. Interestingly,it took until 1982 for a 'complete' recording to be released by a German recording label (emi-electrola). That one had Anneliese Rothenberger and Nicolai Gedda,and had the benefit of stereo,but I don't have it,because it's been deleted and Sellers ask ridiculous prices. In lieu of that I've had to make do with a very good 1952 recording conducted by Franz Marszalek (available on the Membran label,but now deleted) who was one of the best advocates of this genre of entertainment,and a vintage cast that includes Anny Schlemm and Peter Anders,who is rated very highly by fans of operetta in German speaking lands. And very good he is too! A few more years and he may have recorded some operetta in stereo,but he was tragically killed in a car accident in 1954 at the of 46! The only other recording I have is a 1960's selection of excerpts from the operetta with Rudolf Schock and Margit Schramm (A reissue of the original Eurodisc Lp). The photo of the Accord set on this page is of my own copy & I took the price sticker off specially. (With a little help from a Q stick & isopropyl alcohol! ::))

The mono Membran 2 cd set                      The stereo 2 cd electrola reissue I can't afford!        Eurodisc highlight's  (Original Lp artwork & bad wig/hair day! ::) ;D)                           

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: June 12, 2022, 10:52:03 pm »

Brahms: Symphonies 1-4      Wiener Philharmoniker / Rafael Kubelik     Decca Eloquence  2 cd's

Brahm's heaven! :) Magnificent performance's recorded in Vienna,during 1956 & 57,in lovely stereo! I do love the choice of the statue of Brahms for the cover artwork! The perfect antidote after you've been waiting for something to happen while listening to your Draeseke symphony collection! This really sort's out the men from the boys! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3531 on: June 13, 2022, 08:33:28 am »

Brahms: Symphonies 1-4      Wiener Philharmoniker / Rafael Kubelik     Decca Eloquence  2 cd's

Brahm's heaven! :) Magnificent performance's recorded in Vienna,during 1956 & 57,in lovely stereo! I do love the choice of the statue of Brahms for the cover artwork! The perfect antidote after you've been waiting for something to happen while listening to your Draeseke symphony collection! This really sort's out the men from the boys! ;D :)

I share your enthusiasm for Kubelik's Brahms. And Draeseke? The perfect remedy for insomina...  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: June 14, 2022, 12:46:57 pm »

Joachim Raff: String Quartets No's 1 & 7 "Die schöne Müllerin"     Quartetto di Milano   Tudor

While I don't think Draeseke and Rufinatscha are the major talent's some folk at a certain forum think they are,I must admit I do enjoy allot of music by the other bloke they revere and who even seems to be the raison d'être for that forum's existence! (I wish I could say otherwise (spitting in pan! ;D) but I think Raff was a very talented composer. I would hesitate to put him "up there" with the greatest,though. He,undoubtedly,had a rich imagination and had a brilliant gift for writing colourful,imaginative,romantic scores. I think his best symphonies deserve an occasional hearing & would go down well with audiences in concert halls. Perhaps not so well with the critics! I think some of his chamber music is of a very high quality,indeed & it is hard to understand why music of such high quality isn't good enough for the repertory. I think one of the problem's is that,even if a 'critic' likes a piece of music,they don't want to put their head above the parapet and admit they like,or even,admire it;because they know what the majority think! And then there's the phenomena of people thinking in pack's which psychologist's,sociologist's & even occultist's have written about! But I don't think I'll go into that here?!! While I don't like comparisons anymore than allot of member's here and I believe in enjoying a piece of music for it's own sake,I would hesitate to put Raff "up there" with the likes of Mendelssohn,Schubert,Schumann & Weber. I think his music tends to lack the visionary and spiritual qualities and humanity (not that Raff wasn't a nice man) I find in some of those composer's. There is an element of the "drawing room" to some of Raff's symphonies,which tend's to leave them,somewhat,wanting in comparison. Which is why Raff's depiction of woodland & sprites pales in comparison to Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream (for example). It is a lovely score,though and possibly my favourite Raff symphony,along with No 4. There's no doubt Raff's symphonies should be enjoyed on their own terms. Indeed,I like them all & in many respects,taken as a whole,they are an important contribution to romantic music of the period and deserve to heard! Anyone who doubt's Raff's talent for orchestration needs to have a listen to No 9. The performance on the Tudor cd is superb.

NB: like to think that if Raff was,somehow alive,or "with us",he'd be hiding from AH & the other forum moderator's (over there!) on this message board,while appreciating all the work they do on his behalf from a safe distance! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: June 15, 2022, 12:52:06 pm »

It's Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffitzner! :o ;D        String Quartets in D minor & op. 36       Franz Schubert Quartet    Cpo

Ze String Quartet zat grew up and became a symphony!                                              Go on Hans,gissa smile! :) (He looks like me when I get up in the morning!)

I confess to liking some of the old curmudgeon's music! Mind you,I'm turning into a bit of one myself! Although,I don't plan on any goose stepping! (Unless,I want to pull another muscle!) His String Quartet's are satisfying creation's,imo! He turned one of these into a Symphony,later on! The bounder! :o
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: June 16, 2022, 07:33:50 pm »

Robert Schumann: Symphonies 1-4 & Manfred Overture / The Detroit Symphony Orchestra / Paul Paray    Mercury 2 cd's

Excellent recordings of the symphonies conducted by Paul Paray,a conductor rated very higly by classical fans & me! Some of his recordings can be a bit hard to get,unfortunately & pricey. You just have to keep looking. These recordings boast the fabled 'Mercury' sound,which I love and still (at least in most cases) sound amazing,even in this day & age,in terms of the sheer clarity of the sound. (Mercury recordings also have a very distinctive sound!) The Fourth symphony & Manfred Overture are in mono sound,however! But,I love mono,so what not to like? Although,if I bought a new recording & it was in mono I might not be so thrilled?! But I do mean mono from when mono recordings were the current technology,of course! I mean,recording a piece of music in mono now would be a bit daft! (Okay,they get your point now! ed. ::) ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: June 20, 2022, 10:08:01 am »

Schubert: The Last Four Quartets     Quartetto Italiano  Philips Duo 2cd's

Sorry dhibbard! ;D  For my money,these have got to be amongst the loveliest and most sublime of all String Quartets. And that goes for most of,if not all of his chamber music. If you find Chamber music a bit difficult to grasp (as opposed to indifferent or hate it!) his String Quartet No 14 "Death & the Maiden" & String Quartet No 13 "Rosamunde" are two of the most lyrical,tuneful & thereby,most readily approachable/accessible. Indeed,even if you prefer,or only listen to,orchestral music by composers,from this era,you will know the tune in No 14 (and the name!). Indeed,his Piano Quintet in A major, D. 667,popularly known as the "Trout Quintet",is very probably the most tuneful piece of chamber music ever composed. It's just movement after movement of lovely,hummable tunes! When I was young it was,indeed,the only piece of chamber music I liked,thanks to my grandparent's radiogram and collection of Lp's. The Trout Quintet was on a thick old 50's Lp (like a black dinner plate with grooves! A 10 inch-er,I believe?! And that's it,below) and the musicians were Members of the Vienna Octet. I also remember that the "waltz man",Willi Boskovsky,who became famous for his conducting of Johann Strauss II,played the violin on it!

NB: I would make these images a bit smaller,but I have to listen out for a delivery van!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: June 20, 2022, 10:34:35 am »

Playing on Radio 3,right now! John Ireland's Epic March!

I was going to turn the Beeb off. I only leave it on overnight to keep the channel clear for my Sennheiser cordless headphones,but I had to look at the display to see what was playing. John Ireland is one of my favourite British composers and I must admit this piece hasn't made that much impression on me,to date! But listening now,it's quite a stirring piece & I might just play it,when I put on the Boult cd! His Piano Concerto is one of my favourite Piano Concertos. Indeed,one of my favourite Piano Concertos. He wrote superbly for the piano & I love his solo piano music. I have more than one boxed set!
Report Spam   Logged
greek
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: June 21, 2022, 12:07:52 am »

Indeed,his Piano Quintet in A major, D. 667,popularly known as the "Trout Quintet",is very probably the most tuneful piece of chamber music ever composed. It's just movement after movement of lovely,hummable tunes!

Yes you are right about Schubert. His lyrical and tuneful music is just the sort of thing my parents used to have on on Sunday mornings. Most people feel that their lives are too short, do they not, but what a loss it was when Schubert's ended. If there is one shortcoming in his productions it is the repetition of so much beauty...

A fine performance of the "Trout" quintet may be heard in our piano quintet department:

https://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7629.0.html

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:12 pm »

More Pffffffffff-itzner!

Symphony op.36,Elegie und Reigen op.45,Fantasie op.56  Bamberg Symphony Orchestra / Werner Andreas Albert    Cpo

Someone's going to tell me it's rubbish (if any members posts here?) but I must admit I'm impressed by this symphony. In fact,I think it's an impressive piece. Like allot of Pfitzner's music it surprised me,when I first heard it. I thought he was going to be a throw back to the late nineteenth century;but the main influiences seem to be from the first decade (or two) of the twentieth century. Mahler  and Schreker spring to mind. Indeed,'Mahlerian',is how I would describe part's of this symphony. Particularly,the big climaxes in the first movement. And there's a lovely,serene slow movement with some quite beautiful writing for the strings and woodwind. This is the quite of big,late romantic symphony that rocks my boat! A few years ago I had look around the internet to find out what people thought of Pfitzner's music. What I found wasn't too positive and there wasn't allot! Now,I find allot of enthusiastic reviews and allot of posts at the GMG forum expressing admiration for some of his music. The performance on this cd is very good,to my ears;and the sound quality is up to Cpo's usual standard (very good!). While,it was listening to this I was thinking it would be great to hear the Berlin Philharmonic perform this work (and his Violin Concert,please! ;D).

"Well,it's better than the Rufinatscha!"                  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:15:37 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: June 25, 2022, 01:15:49 am »

Wel,I didn't have to worry too much about someone telling me it was rubbish,with the forum this quiet! (Although,someone may yet oblige?!! ;D) At this rate I might even get away with extolling my love of the creative output of Tikhon Khrennikov! :o ;D (If I had a pound for every locked thread that has resulted from the mere mention of his name?!!)

On a more positive note,I just bought a s/h copy of this 2 cd set,from a seller on Ebay :)!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: