The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:22:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96853 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: May 20, 2022, 02:01:36 pm »

No,actually,not that old! I just remember my grandmother (the English one! My mother's mum! My father's Welsh  side of the family,being more into welsh hymns!) had a 78 of Charlie Kunz,which she used to play on her big old radiogram (Remember those?! A lovely one! It played Lp's & 78's! Huge! Like a big,polished wooden chest,with a lid on top! When they moved to Wales from London,it mysteriously,stopped working! The crappy one with the crackly knobs surviving the arduous journey! ::) :()
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: May 20, 2022, 04:59:39 pm »

No,actually,not that old! I just remember my grandmother (the English one! My mother's mum! My father's Welsh  side of the family,being more into welsh hymns!) had a 78 of Charlie Kunz,which she used to play on her big old radiogram (Remember those?! A lovely one! It played Lp's & 78's! Huge! Like a big,polished wooden chest,with a lid on top! When they moved to Wales from London,it mysteriously,stopped working! The crappy one with the crackly knobs surviving the arduous journey! ::) :()
I was going to put that a little more politely;but I had to rush out! Apologies,for that! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3512 on: May 20, 2022, 06:14:02 pm »

I was going to put that a little more politely;but I had to rush out! Apologies,for that! ::)

Apologies not needed but thanks anyway.  ;D Yes, I remember radiograms. My parents had one that also played LPs and 78s. Now that LPs (and even cassettes, I understand) are coming back into fashion, one can only ask if 78s might be next. I shall have to rush out (rush? chance'd be a fine thing) and buy a wind-up gramophone and a Jack Russell to sit in front of the horn!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: May 20, 2022, 06:38:39 pm »

Apologies not needed but thanks anyway.  ;D Yes, I remember radiograms. My parents had one that also played LPs and 78s. Now that LPs (and even cassettes, I understand) are coming back into fashion, one can only ask if 78s might be next. I shall have to rush out (rush? chance'd be a fine thing) and buy a wind-up gramophone and a Jack Russell to sit in front of the horn!
;D Yes,and they don't use electricity,so economical to run! (Great during a power cut!) The Jack Russell might cost a little more to run! When I called on my grandparents I used to play records on the crappy radiogram that survived. Everytime you adjusted the volume there was a horrible,loud crackle! Even the slightest turn!! ::) :( My grandfather believing in the old waste not want not,converted the defunct radiogram into a clothes chest! They were the hi-fi of their day!! Incidentally,my grandfather (the black sheep of the family until I came along! ;D) didn't like any 'modern composers! Even Sibelius was too 'modern'! Your life would not be worth living if you put on any classical music dated later than 1900! Does that sound familiar?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3514 on: May 20, 2022, 07:32:59 pm »

;D Yes,and they don't use electricity,so economical to run! (Great during a power cut!) The Jack Russell might cost a little more to run! When I called on my grandparents I used to play records on the crappy radiogram that survived. Everytime you adjusted the volume there was a horrible,loud crackle! Even the slightest turn!! ::) :( My grandfather believing in the old waste not want not,converted the defunct radiogram into a clothes chest! They were the hi-fi of their day!! Incidentally,my grandfather (the black sheep of the family until I came along! ;D) didn't like any 'modern composers! Even Sibelius was too 'modern'! Your life would not be worth living if you put on any classical music dated later than 1900! Does that sound familiar?!! ;D

It does, rather.  ;) Coincidentally, my music teacher at school, Gerwyn Parry (I wonder where he came from...  :D ) frequently stated his view that "music died with Brahms in 1897", and so he and your grandfather would certainly have gotten along famously!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:33 pm »

Gerwyn Parry?! Yes,maybe?!! My grandparents always bring to mind Alf Garnett & his long suffering wife! Not,quite as loud,but the same ranting,opiniated often ludicrously,ill informed views!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: May 20, 2022, 09:06:08 pm »

Anton Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No 4 (+ assorted solo piano pieces by various composers)  Shura Cherkassy (piano) Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/ Vladimir Ashkenazy    Decca

Rubinstein's once famous & much performed Fourth Piano Concerto seems to have dwindled away,along with the rest of his music,after his death! Although,it still had it's champions!  According to The 1951 Collins Record Guide,“the swelling introduction promises great things, but what emerges is perhaps only a rather large mouse”! Perhaps the big mouse is like the one on the old MGM Tom & Jerry cartoon which the BBC used to put on in the early evening,years ago,after the News & Nationwide! Very funny,too! I seem to recall that un-beknown to Jerry & the,hapless,Tom,the mouse was actually a kangaroo?!
Rubinstein's Fourth,like allot of his music,tends to get less than rave reviews! Nevertheless,there always seems to be the odd enthusiast who thinks that Rubinstein's Fourth is an unjustly neglected masterpiece! I certainly enjoyed listening to in this performance. The fact that it doesn't seem to last too long & I didn't keep looking at the track timing's to see how much is left,is always a good sign. (Although,I am in a different room to the hi-fi & wearing wireless headphones,do I was unable to! :() A really good tune might have helped,but it's all very enjoyable. I think the slow movement was the best part of it. It's all very redolent of that era! The glitter,the elegance,the keyboard pyrotechnics and showmanship. Nothing terribly deep,but not bad for a big mouse,imho! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: May 21, 2022, 12:51:59 am »

Robert Schumann: Piano Quartet,Piano Quintet,Complete Piano Trios     Beaux Arts Trio       Philips Duo  2 cd's

More lovely chamber music by Schumann! :)

I'm a cat man meeself! ;D I'm not sure it would say & listen,though?!! (The famous HMV logo would have looked a bit different!) I remember our late cat was fascinated by the tv when it was a kitten. I remember he was sitting on the tv watching the titles scroll at the end of a program. He seemed puzzled as to where the lettering went as it rolled out of sight & he kept twisting his head around the back of the tv,as if he was trying to see where it was going.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: May 24, 2022, 06:46:32 pm »

Goldmark: Rustic Wedding Symphony (Symphony No 1) & Symphony No 2       Singapore Symphony Orchestra / Lan Shui    BIS

The lovely Rustic Wedding Symphony,again! This time in absolutely,gorgeous state of the art sound! And the good news is it's a very good performance. One critic (I forget who!) described it as "one of the loveliest pieces of music I know!" This cd pairs it with the less well know Symphony No 2. There's no doubt it's a step down after the glorious RWS,but in this recording it all sounds very enjoyable & the third movement has the most gorgeous trumpet solo! (It sound's glorious here!) In fact,in terms of enjoyment level's,the two symphonies make a winning pair! Lovely artwork on the front! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: May 25, 2022, 12:37:41 pm »

Liszt: Années De Pèlerinage    Lazar Berman (piano)         Deutsche Grammophon 3 cd's

I love Liszt & I love all these character's from the romantic era of the 19th century! Such a contrast to the drab,homogenised culture we live in now! Albeit,I wouldn't be posting here! I'd be sat rownd fire wi' t'other poor folk i' work hoose oop top o' hill! (Although,it's currently burnt down! So better bring waterproofs & an umbrella!) Unable to upload a 'write protected' file,I uploaded a photo of my own set,with the nice artwork on the front! (Taken with a camcorder! No! I haven't got a smart phone! ::)
I received the two Hyperion cd's of Anton Rubinstein's Piano Sonatas in the post today,performed by Leslie Howard (One heavily bronzed! :o ::)). It will be interesting to compare (hear) the pianistic inspiration of these two formidable keyboard wizards! I think Liszt will win;but Rubinstein's effort's in composition should be one of the following! 1) Interesting! 2) Intriguing! 3) Enjoyable 4) Better than you might expect! 5) Very good! 6) Excellent! 7) In-c-c-c-credible! ) 8) Cr*p! :( Hopefully,1,3 & 7?! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: May 27, 2022, 01:49:43 am »

Anton Rubinstein: Piano Sonatas No 1 in E minor,op12 & Piano Sonata No 3,op 41 in F major     Leslie Howard (piano)     Hyperion

Well,after lisztening to Liszt (gedditt?! ::)) the piano music of the next greatest pianist "and first great Russian teacher",obviously,makes intriguing listening! Albeit,I find it,somewhat,shocking to read (in the accompanying booklet) that the recording's on this cd were the first recording's of any of his major works for solo piano!! How the mighty fall,eh?! According to the booklet notes by Leslie Howard,his "methods and administration are still echoed in the Russian musical institutions". Referring again to the booklet notes,again! The First Sonata (dating from 1847-48) " is probably the first Piano Sonata to be composed by a Russian"!
As to the music itself! (I have also been listening to the cd of Piano Sonatas 2 & 4,as well!) I need to listen a bit more;but it all sounds very enjoyable to my ears! Although,after listening to Années De Pèlerinage (see previous post) it's pretty obvious that Rubinstein isn't an innovator like Liszt! Rubinstein's muse is a more conservative one! I'll need to listen a bit more and to the 2 cd set of solo piano pieces (still in the post!) before I can really make my mind up about what's on offer here! The good news is I didn't once get an urge to turn it off or look at the track timing's to see how much more I had to endure? Which is usually a good sign! :)

The painting on the front of both cd's is 'Anton Rubinstein playing for Count Tolstoy" by Leonid Pasternak. Yep! He does look like Beethoven! And who do I look like? Well,I've got a date with a girl called Esmeralda tonight! But,I might have to delay it until I've seen my GP about the ringing in my ears!! :o
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: May 27, 2022, 05:44:03 pm »

Anton Rubinstein: Violin Concerto in G major,Op.46* (+ César Cui: Suite Concertante for violin & orchestra) Takako Nishizaki (vln) *Slovak Phil Orchestra/ Michael Halász //Hong Kong Philh Orch /Kenneth Schermerhorn    Naxos

More Anton Rubinstein! The Naxos cd,interestingly,adds music by the least known member of the Mighty Handful (And what a handful!),César Cui! It doesn't mention this on the front!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: May 28, 2022, 05:52:11 pm »

Moritz Moszkowski: Piano Concerto in A minor,op.17 & Ignacy Jan Paderewski: Piano Concerto in E major,op 59    Piers Lane (piano) BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra / Jerzy Maksyiuk    Hyperion

After,actually,enjoying (yes,I did! :o ;D) Anton Rubinstein's Piano Concertos 1,2 & 4 (I haven't heard No 3,yet;but it's in the pile!) I felt I had to hear the Moszkowki,since I knew it had some admirers! One critic on Musicweb (Ian Lace,see link below) even claiming that,if he was a castaway on a desert island and he could take only three piano concertos with him,the Moszkowski would be one of them! It helped that it was paired,on this cd,with the Padereswki,another Piano Concerto that has some admirers and,in the past,some doughty champions! I'm listening to it right now and the slow movement (Romanza:Andante) was so lovely I had to stop what I was doing. Least to say,I am mightily impressed by this concerto. But they're both good & worthy of concert hall exposure instead of the same old warhorses (great as they are!) year in year out,year in year out,year in year out! ::)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/nov98/moszy.html

Update: Listening to the 3rd movement of the Moszkowski,now! My goodness! What a dazzler! This is so tuneful? Why doesn't this get played in concert halls?!! :) :) :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: May 31, 2022, 12:17:54 pm »

Robert Schumann: Carnaval,Kreisleriana    Mitsuko Uchida (piano)        Philips

Back to the aknowledged greats! There's not much I can say about this music that hasn't been expressed far more eloquently than other's umpteen times before! Least to say this make's very enjoyable and satisfying listening. Schumann was one of those tortured geniuses,beloved of the media. Did Hollywood ever make a movie about him? I'll have to find out? Although,I'm not sure I'll want to watch it! Perhaps,Merle Oberon as Clara Schumann?! Tortured geniuses are obviously intriguing! They certainly intrigue me! Although,I'm not sure severing part of my ear lobe and posting it to the nearest (this portion of the text,censored!) would enhace my painting & writing career?! And I don't like blood! :o Except the eight pints circulating inside my body right at this very moment! Like H....H...Hancock,I need that,thankyou! ;D
Ahem! ::) ;D I have the Deutsche Grammophon boxed set of Kempff playing Schumann in the pile,next to the mini hi-fi,and I will reach that in due course! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: May 31, 2022, 12:38:55 pm »

Robert Schumann: Carnaval,Kreisleriana    Mitsuko Uchida (piano)        Philips

Back to the aknowledged greats! There's not much I can say about this music that hasn't been expressed far more eloquently than other's umpteen times before! Least to say this make's very enjoyable and satisfying listening. Schumann was one of those tortured geniuses,beloved of the media. Did Hollywood ever make a movie about him? I'll have to find out? Although,I'm not sure I'll want to watch it! Perhaps,Merle Oberon as Clara Schumann?! Tortured geniuses are obviously intriguing! They certainly intrigue me! Although,I'm not sure severing part of my ear lobe and posting it to the nearest (this portion of the text,censored!) would enhace my painting & writing career?! And I don't like blood! :o Except the eight pints circulating inside my body right at this very moment! Like H....H...Hancock,I need that,thankyou! ;D
Ahem! ::) ;D I have the Deutsche Grammophon boxed set of Kempff playing Schumann in the pile,next to the mini hi-fi,and I will reach that in due course! :)

Yes, a superb disc! There are currently approximately 8 pints of 9% Karpakie circulating around my body (I lost count after a Draeseke-fest, which happily passed-by largely comatose)...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: