The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:44:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96873 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: May 14, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »

George Lloyd: Symphony No 10 "November Journeys"    Trax cd

I've had this cd on repeat for a while now and I think the music is all very enjoyable. I don't know why anyone wouln't enjoy Lloyd's Tenth? Maybe,like me you think you don't like brass music that much! Although I love the Conifer cd 'Arnold on Brass'  (one of the best Arnold cd's,imo) and I like his Symphony for brass. Oh,and I like Holst's Suite's for brass. Maybe you feel Lloyd's palette is somewhat limited,or constrained,by the use of brass? Or,it's an image of that chap trudging oop t' hill in that Hoovis ad?! But fear not,this is very nice! I think I prefer it to his Eleventh,to be honest?!! Not that I don't like it,but for all it's,undoubtedly colourful & spectacular orchestration,it just seems to lack the great tunes & identifiable themes that endear me to his earlier efforts in the genre!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: May 15, 2022, 12:56:31 pm »

Brahms Symphonies conducted by Eugen Jochum!

After a couple of minutes of Draeseke,before it was (brutally?!) switched off,this is more like it! Magnificent recordings of Brahms by Jochum in glorious mono,on this 2 cd set! (I've got his stereo recordings somewhere,but I can't find 'em! :().

Update! Ooooooh,lovely! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: May 17, 2022, 12:36:09 pm »

Anton Rubinstein: Symphony No 3 op.56 & Eroica Fantasia op.110

This has been on rotation since I got up. (I'm listening via wireless headphones,just in case anyone thinks I'm just sitting on my b*******!) No surprises here (Although,there is one,which I will come to!) but a good deal of pleasent,undemanding music with some felicitous orchestration. It's even quite tuneful! In fact,all very enjoyable,to my ears! The Eroica Fantasia is,possibly,even better! I had an idea that it was the Symphony No 3 "Eroica",when I put it on. Thankfully,on looking at the back of the cd I was mistaken. A Rubinstein Symphony No 3 dubbed "Eroica" would just put itself up for a kicking! As it is,the Eroica Fantasia,a substantial orchestral work,clocking in at around 28 minutes (just over) is,arguably,superior to the symphony with which it is paired. Both works are performed with some gusto by Stankovsky & the Slovak RSO although my imagination craves lush,silken strings,a more robust brass section and sumptuous sound. Come on Cpo,Chandos (or even MDG!). The big surprise I referred to earlier,in the "Eroica Fantasia",is the massive gong stroke (about 20-21 minutes in) which had me sitting up straight!! Fun! :) I love massive gong strokes in orchestral works! :) But imagine that gong stroke in sumptuous SACD sound!  On the whole,I think the playing & sound on this cd is better than on some of the other Anton Rubinstein recordings I've heard.

Psyched up by my previous post about Rubinstein,I bought the old Centaur cd of Symphonies 3 & 5 (the first ever recording of No 3) and it will be interesting to compare it with this recording,particularly as I couldn't find any reviews online (more or less s** all!). I also bought a very cheap s/h copy of the MDG recording of the "Ocean" Symphony. According to an Amazon review it more or less supplant's the Naxos & Russian Disk (latterly,Delos) recordings. I hope so?!! My private fantasy is Cpo recording A Rubinstein cycle! Other's here,may regard that as their idea of a nightmare,or at best,a cure for chronic insomnia?!

I've got to say,looking at his portrait on the front of this cd,I wouldn't have fancied telling him to his face that his music was tosh,even if I thought it was :( ;D?!

PS: Rubinstein's music sounds power-packed after Draeseke (an exaggeration,I know,but it feels that way!)

PPS: I'm just waiting for someone to tell me his music is a load of old rubbish! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: May 17, 2022, 03:11:35 pm »

Joachim Raff: String Quartet No 1 and No 7 "Die schöne Müllerin"   Quartetto di Milano      Tudor

Lovely! :) Much as I enjoy his symphonies (and some other orchestral works) I think if Raff's music really was to,somehow,get back into the concert halls,I think it would be via his chamber music,which is where he really excels. And how could I resist a programatic,string quartet? (Just don't click on the "Buy" button,man!! ::) ;D). Subtitled ‘Die schöne Müllerin’,the movement's have titles ('The young man',The maid of the mill',The prenuptial party,etc). It's all very romantic and lyrical,gently wafting out of the wireless headphone ear pieces! Away dull care! ;D No surprise then,that this was the most popular of Raff's string quartet's.  According to Michael Cookson at Musicweb,"The score is overflowing with refinement and charm but rather wanting in ardour and adventure...." Well,even Raff at his best is no Schubert! But Cookson goes on to add"....a viewpoint that was also often levelled at Mendelssohn’s scores". Eschewing traditional sonata form,Raff described it as a "cyclical tone poem". The String Quartet No 1 is every bit as enjoyable & arguably even finer. The four movement score has a nocturnal atmosphere achieved by beautifully arranged instrumentation and romantic expression" (Michael Cookson,Musicweb). According to Jonathan Woolf (also at Musicweb) "The earlier work is the more questing and finely conceived, it must be noted. The Raff of 1874 was perhaps a little too inclined to spin generous pastoral evocations". I find it astonishing that such lovely music should have suffered such grievous neglect! Albeit,knowing how much fine,or at the very least,intriguing music has fallen victim to the vagaries of fashion,I'm unsurprised. Great cover art by Arnold Böcklin,as usual,for this series. The recording and playing,need I say,is,as per usual from this label,top-notch! :)

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: May 17, 2022, 04:53:35 pm »

Goldmark: Rustic Wedding Symphony   (+ Handel: The Faithful Shepherd)   RPO/ Beecham      Sony

Lovely,jubbly! :) A classic account in glorious mono (albeit not the finest of the period,but the ear's soon adjust!) The cd begin's with one of Beecham's Handel confections!

Shocking confession! ! I'd rather listen to one of Beecham's recording's of Handel arrangement's than some of those HIP horrors,any day! :o Albeit,his Messiah goes a tad too far,even for me! (My favourite recording is the one conducted by Karl Richter,on Deutsche Grammophon!)

I also like Maurice Abravanel's recording of the Rustic Wedding Symphony,very much. I have the BIS recording which pairs it with his Second Symphony,which isn't on the same level of inspiration,unfortunately. Although,it's interesting to hear,a pleasant listen & it has some nice writing (for horn,I believe? I'll need another listen!). I think the Rustic Wedding is a lovely piece!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3500 on: May 17, 2022, 05:58:31 pm »

Goldmark: Rustic Wedding Symphony   (+ Handel: The Faithful Shepherd)   RPO/ Beecham      Sony

Lovely,jubbly! :) A classic account in glorious mono (albeit not the finest of the period,but the ear's soon adjust!) The cd begin's with one of Beecham's Handel confections!

Shocking confession! ! I'd rather listen to one of Beecham's recording's of Handel arrangement's than some of those HIP horrors,any day! :o Albeit,his Messiah goes a tad too far,even for me! (My favourite recording is the one conducted by Karl Richter,on Deutsche Grammophon!)

I also like Maurice Abravanel's recording of the Rustic Wedding Symphony,very much. I have the BIS recording which pairs it with his Second Symphony,which isn't on the same level of inspiration,unfortunately. Although,it's interesting to hear,a pleasant listen & it has some nice writing (for horn,I believe? I'll need another listen!). I think the Rustic Wedding is a lovely piece!

I'd rather listen to any of Beecham's recordings of Handel arrangements than any of those HIP horrors.

I am with you on the Rustic Wedding Symphony too; a lovely piece it is.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: May 17, 2022, 07:18:00 pm »

So would I,to be quite honest! I must admit I like the big orchestra  for my Handel (and Bach,too!). That's the one thing I agree with AH about. (Oh,and the dodgy singer who makes an otherwise excellent premiere recording almost unlistenable! ::)) Credit where it's due (Spitting in pan! ::))

NB: I mean that AH! Not the one who lost the war ;D! (At least,I think I do?!! ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: May 17, 2022, 07:29:28 pm »

Brahms: Serenades 1 & 2,Academic Festival & Tragic Overtures,Haydn Variations,Alto Rhapsody (Janet Baker) LPO/ LSO /Sir Adrian Boult    emi 2 cd's

Boult's recordings of Brahms are magnificent. The Serenades are glorious,perhaps underrated pieces?! Janet Baker in the lovely Alto Rhapsody. What a voice! Still with us at 88 years old. This is a fantastic collection.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3503 on: May 18, 2022, 08:48:55 am »

Brahms: Serenades 1 & 2,Academic Festival & Tragic Overtures,Haydn Variations,Alto Rhapsody (Janet Baker) LPO/ LSO /Sir Adrian Boult    emi 2 cd's

Boult's recordings of Brahms are magnificent. The Serenades are glorious,perhaps underrated pieces?! Janet Baker in the lovely Alto Rhapsody. What a voice! Still with us at 88 years old. This is a fantastic collection.

Yes, Boult was a magnificent conductor. Not fashy, not glamorous but just inherently musical and with the technique to convey his ideas to the orchestra without fuss. For those of us 'of a certain age' he was the doyen of conductors.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: May 19, 2022, 01:24:16 pm »

Robert Schumann: The Three Piano Trios,Fantasiestücke      The Borodin Trio  Chandos 2 cd's

Lovely,lyrical,surging,passionate,heartfelt,romantic! Some of the not very technical words that come to mind when listening to these outpouring's from another one of those tragic,tortured geniuses. Sumptuous sound in the best Chandos tradition and fantastic playing from The Borodin Trio. Chamber music heaven?!! Aaaaaaah! :) (As in chamber music not chamber pot!! Yes,I'm old enough to remember those! :o ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3505 on: May 19, 2022, 02:40:01 pm »

Robert Schumann: The Three Piano Trios,Fantasiestücke      The Borodin Trio  Chandos 2 cd's

Lovely,lyrical,surging,passionate,heartfelt,romantic! Some of the not very technical words that come to mind when listening to these outpouring's from another one of those tragic,tortured geniuses. Sumptuous sound in the best Chandos tradition and fantastic playing from The Borodin Trio. Chamber music heaven?!! Aaaaaaah! :) (As in chamber music not chamber pot!! Yes,I'm old enough to remember those! :o ;D)

While I'm not familiar with that particular recording of Schumann's Piano Trios, I have to agree with your description of the music itself. The older I get, the more I love Schumann. Many years ago I played the piano in public performances of both the the Piano Quintet and the Piano Quartet (with string-playing chums from the City of Birmingham SO) but I'm sorry to say I never had the opportunity to play these trios (and I'm not likely to now, thanks to arthritis!). I'm as much a fan of certain unsung composers as anybody (not Rufinatscha, before you ask ;D) but great composers such as Schumann are so described for very good reason!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: May 19, 2022, 07:29:01 pm »

Yes,the great composers do seem to dig a little (allot) deeper. There's a spiritual or visionary quality. A humanity and universality of expression. It's hard to pin down what is exactly! But you know it when you hear it!

You're lucky to have ever played music like that,Lionel! I think I managed to master The March of the Wooden Soldiers & that was about it! I was doing quite well with my piano tuition,apparently. But as soon as it was time for my father to take me to my lessons I was nowhere to be found!! ::)

Actually,I only bought this set because the Piano Trio No 1 on the Beaux Arts Trio 2 cd set,which includes the Piano Quintet & Piano Quartet is split between cd's! This set sounds very good to me ears,though and the sound quality is what you might expect from Chandos,at their best! (I've been listening to it all day,actually!)

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3507 on: May 19, 2022, 07:37:48 pm »

Yes,the great composers do seem to dig a little (allot) deeper. There's a spiritual or visionary quality. A humanity and universality of expression. It's hard to pin down what is exactly! But you know it when you hear it!

You're lucky to have ever played music like that,Lionel! I think I managed to master The March of the Wooden Soldiers & that was about it! I was doing quite well with my piano tuition,apparently. But as soon as it was time for my father to take me to my lessons I was nowhere to be found!! ::)

Actually,I only bought this set because the Piano Trio No 1 on the Beaux Arts Trio 2 cd set,which includes the Piano Quintet & Piano Quartet is split between cd's! This set sounds very good to me ears,though and the sound quality is what you might expect from Chandos,at their best! (I've been listening to it all day,actually!)

You do know it when you hear it, that's true, and it does defy analysis.

Yes, I was lucky; I seemed to take to the piano like a duck to water and while a lot of time was given over to practising, it never felt like work. My old dad used to say that anything you enjoy doing isn't 'work'. I hated playing solo and almost never did so but playing chamber music and accompanying singers was one of the joys of my life. Sadly, I am now 'past it' and only play a little with friends in private! Boots' wax ear-plugs, anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: May 19, 2022, 08:51:00 pm »

Well,this is it! I remember some lady telling me,when I was young,"You don't get something for nothing!"  "Old battle axe! How materialistic!" I thought. But,as fearsome as she was,looking back on it. She was right! All the great musicians,composers,writers,artists had to work hard to get where they did! Or,at least,achieve what they did! (Even if the world ended up not wanting to know!) What makes it,particularly difficult,is that,unlike allot of other kinds of work,it involves a degree of self discipline! Which is the hardest part of it,in some ways! But,if I'd gritted my teeth & gone to those 'boring' piano lessons & practised I could have been a musician? Maybe not up there with the greats! (Or even Charlie Kunz?!! ;D) Maybe,my mind was on something else?  (Girls?!! ::) ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3509 on: May 20, 2022, 08:47:34 am »

Well,this is it! I remember some lady telling me,when I was young,"You don't get something for nothing!"  "Old battle axe! How materialistic!" I thought. But,as fearsome as she was,looking back on it. She was right! All the great musicians,composers,writers,artists had to work hard to get where they did! Or,at least,achieve what they did! (Even if the world ended up not wanting to know!) What makes it,particularly difficult,is that,unlike allot of other kinds of work,it involves a degree of self discipline! Which is the hardest part of it,in some ways! But,if I'd gritted my teeth & gone to those 'boring' piano lessons & practised I could have been a musician? Maybe not up there with the greats! (Or even Charlie Kunz?!! ;D) Maybe,my mind was on something else?  (Girls?!! ::) ;D)

Charlie Kunz? Now you are giving your age away -- and mine, since you obviously assume (correctly, as it turns out!) that I will know who he was!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: