The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:19:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97230 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: March 22, 2022, 02:46:03 pm »

Grazyna Bacewicz: Symphony No 3 (1952)     Krakow Philharmonic Orchestra / Roland Bader

Talking of women composers,I listened to a cd-r of this symphony a few days ago & was very impressed by it. In fact,I thought it was fantastic (it really packs a punch!) & it again made me wonder why this composer is not better known & more widely performed! I remember taping this symphony off Radio 3 years ago,at least twice. Once by seeing a plug in timer to switch on the cassette recorder during Radio 3's 'Through the Night'! There is a newer recording on Dux,which I have not got!! I've got her String Quartets on my external drive & must get around listening to them (being a fan of String Quartets). Interesting cover art!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: March 22, 2022, 02:59:08 pm »

Dora Pejačevic (1885-1923) Symphony (& Phantasie Concertante  with Volker Banfield,piano) Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo

I also enjoyed this. A big,sprawling,late romantic symphony,lasting just over 45 minutes. The Phantasie Concertante is good,too. According to Hurwitz,"The Phantasie Concertante packs quite a wallop: it’s exciting, turbulent, noisy, and 15 minutes of great fun".  Mine's a cd-r,unfortunately,but it's the music that counts,of course. Her chamber music is ripely romantic & very melodious.
Oh,and nice artwork!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: March 22, 2022, 05:25:44 pm »

What happened to Louis Glass?!

The stuff Cpo unearth! Presumably,it's only a matter of time before they get to Holbrooke's The Bells,Queen Mab & Apollo and the Seaman!
No more Louis Glass symphonies,though! :( Is there any hope? I was hoping for a recording of No 4,which was the one I found the most interesting,from what I could make out from the abysmal Plovdiv recordings.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: March 22, 2022, 05:47:35 pm »

Dora Pejačevic (1885-1923) Symphony   Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo

[/i]

Very enjoyable! I can imagine a better performance,though. The strings need to be lusher. It's a decent performance in decent sound,though and Herbert von Karajan didn't record it with the Bpo! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: March 22, 2022, 05:51:31 pm »

What with Johanna Müller-Hermann,Dora Pejačevic,Grazyna Bacewicz and Ruth Gipps it's been a great week for women composers,here :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: March 22, 2022, 05:54:16 pm »

Dora Pejačevic goes to Hollywood! (Well,not really!)

Just beginning: Phantasie Concertante  with Volker Banfield (piano) Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo

Update! Great stuff! Enjoying this very much! A bit of Golden Age Hollywood there,somewhere,too! Grandly romantic. Hurwitz got this one right (see earlier post)! This is possibly the standout! The sound quality seems to open out more on this recording,too! And the strings seem lusher! Some of it really does bring Hollywood golden age movie scores to mind with pianos tinkling away. Yes,great fun! If you sample this cd online,my advice,try the Phantasie Concertante first! ( I do like the symphony,though!) :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: March 22, 2022, 08:59:30 pm »

Grazyna Bacewicz: Symphony No 4      (Conductor & Orchestra unknown!!)

Symphony No 4 (1953) which opens mysteriously is another powerful,thrilling piece,full of propulsive,driving energy. Like it's predecessor it seems power packed to my ears. An edge of seat ride! Very modern,but also very tonal. The slow movement that follows is full of brooding,lyricism. This is the kind of modern symphony I like. No 3 is my favourite;but they are both gripping symphonies. I find it hard to believe that a major label like Chandos,Cpo or Bis (for example) have ignored these. Although,there are commercial recordings of No 3 I can't trace any recordings of No's 1 or 2! Sad! :( A cycle of Symphonies 1 -4 would be much appreciated! (Come on Chandos/Cpo! Grin) ! I got this recording of No 4 from Youtube as I was unable to find a commercial recording. According to the person who uploaded the recording and various comments left there,the orchestra and conductor are "unknown". The sound quality is good,however,and it sounds like a decent performance. Great stuff! I'm impressed! No 3 is my favourite,though.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: April 01, 2022, 01:11:42 pm »

Doing a stint of Sullivan's major choral works:

1. "The Prodigal Son" (1869) - Corp (Hyperion)

2. "The Light of the World" (1873) - Andrews (Dutton)

3. "The Martyr of Antioch" (1880) - Imperial Opera

4. "The Golden Legend" (1886) - Mackerras, Lyle, Corp (Hyperion), Longfellow Chorus

All good stuff - can't wait for the Dutton "Martyr of Antioch"...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3473 on: April 01, 2022, 07:14:48 pm »

Doing a stint of Sullivan's major choral works:

1. "The Prodigal Son" (1869) - Corp (Hyperion)

2. "The Light of the World" (1873) - Andrews (Dutton)

3. "The Martyr of Antioch" (1880) - Imperial Opera

4. "The Golden Legend" (1886) - Mackerras, Lyle, Corp (Hyperion), Longfellow Chorus

All good stuff - can't wait for the Dutton "Martyr of Antioch"...

:D

Me neither...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3474 on: April 02, 2022, 03:19:53 am »

Dora Pejačevic (1885-1923) Symphony (& Phantasie Concertante  with Volker Banfield,piano) Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz / Ari Rasilainen       Cpo

I also enjoyed this. A big,sprawling,late romantic symphony,lasting just over 45 minutes. The Phantasie Concertante is good,too. According to Hurwitz,"The Phantasie Concertante packs quite a wallop: it’s exciting, turbulent, noisy, and 15 minutes of great fun".  Mine's a cd-r,unfortunately,but it's the music that counts,of course. Her chamber music is ripely romantic & very melodious.
Oh,and nice artwork!
.   Same here.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: April 04, 2022, 03:18:17 am »

Sorry to intrude on this thread. I'm just now returning from a long absence due to medical issues (now completely resolved, I'm happy to say).

I've posted in the Missing Links thread. I hope someone can fill in.

Amphissa
Report Spam   Logged
Cosero
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: April 21, 2022, 06:38:41 pm »

Currently have time off at my friend's flat in Istanbul here and we are listening to Khatia Buniatishvili: Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23. Love it!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: May 09, 2022, 05:15:18 pm »

Hindemith: Violin Concerto   David Oistrakh (vln) London Sumphony Orchestra / Paul Hindemith   Decca Enterprise cd

Wow! It leaps from the heaphone ear pieces with such vitality it could almost have been recorded yesterday. With David Oistrakh playing you can't go wrong here. A tremendous performance of this fine,melodic and rewarding violin concerto. You start thinking,it should be more popular! I really enjoyed this! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #3478 on: May 09, 2022, 05:30:48 pm »

Hindemith: Violin Concerto   David Oistrakh (vln) London Sumphony Orchestra / Paul Hindemith   Decca Enterprise cd

Wow! It leaps from the heaphone ear pieces with such vitality it could almost have been recorded yesterday. With David Oistrakh playing you can't go wrong here. A tremendous performance of this fine,melodic and rewarding violin concerto. You start thinking,it should be more popular! I really enjoyed this! :)

I was never a great fan of Hindemith apart from the Symphonic Metamorphosis on themes by Carl Maria von Weber until I heard somebody (I can't remember who at this distance of time -- it must have nigh-on fifty years ago) play the Violin Concerto in the Festival Hall (I think it was) and I was bowled over by it. I agree with you that it's a fine piece. I have a few recordings of it but not Oistrakh, sadly. Of those I have, my favourite is André Gertler with the Czech Philharmonic under Karel Ancerl on Supraphon. A bonus is that it's coupled with Paul Tortelier playing Hondemith's Cello Concerto, which I don't enjoy quite as much as the fiddle concerto but it's still worth hearing. I can only imagine whast Oistrakh does with it!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: May 09, 2022, 06:12:18 pm »

I was never a great fan of Hindemith apart from the Symphonic Metamorphosis on themes by Carl Maria von Weber until I heard somebody (I can't remember who at this distance of time -- it must have nigh-on fifty years ago) play the Violin Concerto in the Festival Hall (I think it was) and I was bowled over by it. I agree with you that it's a fine piece. I have a few recordings of it but not Oistrakh, sadly. Of those I have, my favourite is André Gertler with the Czech Philharmonic under Karel Ancerl on Supraphon. A bonus is that it's coupled with Paul Tortelier playing Hondemith's Cello Concerto, which I don't enjoy quite as much as the fiddle concerto but it's still worth hearing. I can only imagine whast Oistrakh does with it!
I like Hindemith! Listening to this concerto did,however,make me think that this is the a work that might appeal to someone who might not like his other output so much. It seems to speak from the heart more than some of his other pieces. There's passion there. I can imagine my late mother or grandmother enjoying this on the radio. My mother didn't collect Lp's (or cd's) but she always liked classical music (and some popular) and she'd have a radio in the kitchen or upstairs,when she was doing embroidery or sewing! The Symphonic Metamorphosis followed the Violin Concerto & I only just realised that Morton Gould seems to have pinched some of the brassy flourishes (a subconscious crib,coincidence or maybe purposely? I shall have to investigate!) for his third symphony,which I have on an Albany cd! Nothing wrong with quoting other composers,of course! I was merely surprised! It's one of Hindemith's most approachable & tuneful works,however.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: