The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:59:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96671 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: October 21, 2021, 07:33:56 pm »

A concoction of Strauss Waltzes,Polka's and Marches arranged in the form of a,quite lovely,operetta,by Erich Wolfgang Korngold,Julius Bittner & Eugene Cool.First performed in Vienna in 1930, English versions were performed in London & on Broadway.There was even a film version by Hitchcock! This 1972 recording has a fine cast,Mady Mesplé on top form & the orchestra is expertly conducted by Jean Doussard. You get The Blue Danube in a sung,and quite beautiful choral arrangement,amongst other well known numbers! What not to enjoy in this 2 cd set?! Oh yes,no Williams Singers!! :)

Here they are in a recent performance of Mozart's Requiem...

...a bit of razzle-dazzle can liven up the gloomiest of evenings. Dies eerie...

:D
;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: October 21, 2021, 07:51:11 pm »

Flippin' 'eck, worra pair! Just pop a dodgy wig on and adopt a rictus grin (are you sure it's not Bernard Manning?)...

::)

...but I'm sure it's a lovely recording.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 21, 2021, 08:05:46 pm »

Flippin' 'eck, worra pair! Just pop a dodgy wig on and adopt a rictus grin (are you sure it's not Bernard Manning?)...

I think they could could be on loan from the French Wax Museum?!

https://operafresh.blogspot.com/2011/06/opera-singers-as-wax-figures-at-musee.html
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: October 21, 2021, 08:08:06 pm »

There was a time when you couldn't seem to open a local paper without a notice of the school or amateur operatic society putting on their production of a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta or this lovely,tuneful,colourful opera,The Bartered Bride by Bedřich Smetana! Although,not so lovely & tuneful in my own school's productions. (They were all tone deaf! Edith in 'Allo! 'Allo! is like Maria Callas by comparison!) Now,they seem to perform musical's by American & French composer's I've never heard of,and musical's wot they wrote themselves & I definitely,don't want to see or hear! It has been suggested that one of the reasons for the neglect of this opera is because some of the comedy revolves around a chap with a stammer!

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: October 21, 2021, 08:17:52 pm »

I think they could could be on loan from the French Wax Museum?!

https://operafresh.blogspot.com/2011/06/opera-singers-as-wax-figures-at-musee.html

Well, at least the recording hasn't waned...

...time to revive Album Cover Hall of Shame, methinks...
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: October 21, 2021, 08:40:00 pm »

Now,they seem to perform musical's by American & French composer's I've never heard of,and musical's wot they wrote themselves & I definitely,don't want to see or hear! It has been suggested that one of the reasons for the neglect of this opera is because some of the comedy revolves around a chap with a stammer!

Having played for, scripted and directed musicals in schools for twenty years (thankfully no longer), the best that engage the kids have been The Wizard of Oz, Oliver! and Mary Poppins. All three are brilliant. I remember playing the piano for The Pirates of Penzance at school in the 1980s in Oldham - unthinkable now! The worst I ever had to do was Annie - worra pile of old, schmalzy

:P

As neither of us are currently listening to any of the above, I think that counts as an excellent

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: October 21, 2021, 09:56:47 pm »

To be honest,I think I was probably the only kid at my school who enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan! I remember them holding the school,effectively hostage (No guns,but they still had the cane! :o ;D) until some of the kids agreed to participate in the school production of a G & S operetta (I forget which one!). In the end,faced with no 'tea' break,a few hands were,very reluctantly,raised! I'm talking about Secondary School,of course! I'm pretty sure The Wizard of Oz,Oliver and Mary Poppins would have had the same response! (Most of the kids were into punk rock!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: October 21, 2021, 10:08:30 pm »

There was a time when you couldn't seem to open a local paper without a notice of the school or amateur operatic society putting on their production of a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta or this lovely,tuneful,colourful opera,The Bartered Bride by Bedřich Smetana! Although,not so lovely & tuneful in my own school's productions. (They were all tone deaf! Edith in 'Allo! 'Allo! is like Maria Callas by comparison!) Now,they seem to perform musical's by American & French composer's I've never heard of,and musical's wot they wrote themselves & I definitely,don't want to see or hear! It has been suggested that one of the reasons for the neglect of this opera is because some of the comedy revolves around a chap with a stammer!

The old Rudolf Kempe set has a stellar cast & wonderful singing,including the 'legendary' Fritz Wunderlich'! But,I've got to say,this set,is the one that does it for me! Not being a musician,like yourself,or being as musically inclined as The Williams Singers ;D,I just think it's got more "oomph!" And,imo,you can't beat a Czech orchestra & cast in this kind of repertoire!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:24 pm »

To be honest,I think I was probably the only kid at my school who enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan! I remember them holding the school,effectively hostage (No guns,but they still had the cane! :o ;D) until some of the kids agreed to participate in the school production of a G & S operetta (I forget which one!). In the end,faced with no 'tea' break,a few hands were,very reluctantly,raised! I'm talking about Secondary School,of course! I'm pretty sure The Wizard of Oz,Oliver and Mary Poppins would have had the same response! (Most of the kids were into punk rock!)

I'm damn sure that I was the only person in Oldham who eagerly purchased the D'Oyly Carte Decca LPs of Utopia Limited (1975) and The Grand Duke (1976) from "The Golden Disc", located next to the wind-tunnel, dog-turd-festooned, litter-strewn concrete 1970s shopping arcade...

Not being a musician,like yourself,or being as musically inclined as The Williams Singers ;D,I just think it's got more "oomph!" And,imo,you can't beat a Czech orchestra & cast in this kind of repertoire!

You're truly as much of a musician as any of us, my friend.

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #3159 on: October 21, 2021, 10:29:33 pm »

I'm damn sure that I was the only person in Oldham who eagerly purchased the D'Oyly Carte Decca LPs of Utopia Limited (1975) and The Grand Duke (1976) from "The Golden Disc", located next to the wind-tunnel, dog-turd-festooned, litter-strewn concrete 1970s shopping arcade...

Not being a musician,like yourself,or being as musically inclined as The Williams Singers ;D,I just think it's got more "oomph!" And,imo,you can't beat a Czech orchestra & cast in this kind of repertoire!

You're truly as much of a musician as any of us, my friend.

I heartily agree with that opinion!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: October 22, 2021, 05:42:46 pm »

Thanks for the compliment! :) I can whistle,though! I was whistling on my way to the shop,yesterday! That's playing an instrument,isn't. I mean,technically! ::)

Okay,maybe not as well as this chap?! But,perhaps that's a good thing?!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: October 22, 2021, 05:57:42 pm »

This opera is full of lovely,lush,sumptous late romantic style music. It really is quite beautiful,a veritable feast of sound. The cast is all top notch & the recording quality is superb. But what a morbid plot! These opera character's don't have allot of fun! Not that I bother with the libretto! Just wallow in the gorgeous waves of sound! Lot's of choruses and orchestral interludes to ease you along. Wow! :o :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: October 22, 2021, 07:25:23 pm »

This opera is full of lovely,lush,sumptous late romantic style music. It really is quite beautiful,a veritable feast of sound. The cast is all top notch & the recording quality is superb. But what a morbid plot! These opera character's don't have allot of fun!

"The Dead Eyes" - doesn't sound like a rib-tickler, but like you I don't tend to bother with librettos very much. That's where foreign language operas have the advantage, you can simply concentrate on the music without being distracted by frequently shoddy texts. It will be interesting when Glyndebourne does Ethel Smyth's The Wreckers in French! Eugen d'Albert wrote loads of operas - to my shame I know nothing of them, but he did an excellent job of the overture to Sullivan's Patience.

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: October 23, 2021, 12:01:58 pm »

For those who like their Old Testament oratorios a la Mendelssohn's Elijah, Parry's Judith should engage their attention: for Baal substitute Moloch and, hey-presto, it's time for a jolly (prospective) human sacrifice. Bring now the children!...

:o

...six hours on regulo 9 should suffice methinks. Best not to microwave as they don't crisp up so well. Plus a bit of the old chippy-choppy-chip-chop as Holofernes' head comes a cropper off-stage.

Certainly not Parry's strongest choral work, although RVW greatly admired it (I'd vote for Ode on the Nativity, 1912), it's nevertheless a very good listen in this highly accomplished recording. Great soloists, solid chorus, top-notch orchestra (don't imagine that the London Mozart Players are in any way under-powered) and vigorous conducting by William Vann.

I've never heard Parry use the gong before - thwack - but then when there's Gods to appease anything goes.
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: October 23, 2021, 01:59:20 pm »

Certainly not Parry's strongest choral work, although RVW greatly admired it (I'd vote for Ode on the Nativity, 1912), it's nevertheless a very good listen in this highly accomplished recording.

God breaketh the battle or This helmet, I suppose (Princess Ida) - Parry and Sullivan both doing a Handelian tribute/ parody. I think Sullivan wins.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: