The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:32:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96999 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: September 16, 2021, 01:24:59 am »

Getting smaller! Normal reception will be restored as soon as possible! ::) :o

I had this on a Eurodisc 2 Lp set,when I was a youngster. It was paired with excerpts from operettas by Paul Abraham(1892-1960),who composed,jazz operettas,which are now currently enjoying a revival in Europe. It was filled out with some other pieces by Leo Fall.  There are just over 16 minutes of The Rose of Stambul here in this recording of excerpts made in 1962. Rudolf Schock sounds just great & has just the sort of tenor voice these operettas need.Erika Köth sounds lovely in the Leo Fall & Carl Millöcker (Die Dubarry). This was before she started to sound like Larry the Lamb!* ("I'm only a little lamb,Mr Mayor,Sir!"). But,with soloists a choir & orchestra this good (and they are! :)) why couldn't they have recorded the whole operetta?!! ::)

Rudolf Schock had a lovely tenor voice that was just right for these operettas & made allot of recordings of this repertory. He seems to have been more well known in Germany & Austria and he was a big star there. He also had the sort of suave good looks I wish I had!! :( Although,he reminds me a bit of Tommy Cooper in that hat!

*It could have been worse?!!! :o

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2986 on: September 16, 2021, 10:50:37 am »

Ahh, how cute! Nothing delights the British heart more than a little lamb. A few green peas and a quantity of mint sauce...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: September 17, 2021, 02:23:51 am »

Ahh, how cute! Nothing delights the British heart more than a little lamb. A few green peas and a quantity of mint sauce...

Quality entertainment, eh, who needs it? The dismal horror of Shari Lewis's "Lamb Chop's Play-Along". Lionel's bang on the money methinks, yum-yum.

:D

BAH!!!
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: September 18, 2021, 10:31:32 pm »

These have got to be the best recordings of these symphonies,if you don't mind the fact they're in mono!  I don't! But,of course,a part of me wishes they were in stereo! If only interest in these composers had been maintained! There are good stereo alternatives for the Piston & Schuman. The Kuchar recording of Harris' Seventh is good,with No 9,on the same cd. The American's don't seem to have had a label like Chandos,to record all the major works by some of their fine composers. Albany seemed very promising,at first. Then, seemed to decide that,recording a complete Don Gillis symphony cycle was more important than composers like Piston,Schuman,Harris or Creston!! :o Gerard Schwarz has done allot & we have to be thankful for his efforts! I find it shocking that some of Piston's later symphonies are only available in ancient old recordings. Harris has his detractors,but I like some of his music. It's only down to Gerard Schwarz that a complete cycle of William Schuman symphonies has been put down. And the neglect of (imo) Harris' powerful Symphonies 6 & 7,is not good!! >:(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: September 19, 2021, 02:17:01 pm »

Randall Thompson: Symphony No 2  (Roy Harris No 3,just finished!)

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2990 on: September 20, 2021, 12:14:01 am »

Yes Thompson #2 is great
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: September 20, 2021, 12:28:30 am »

Peter Mennin: Piano Concerto    John Ogdon (piano)  Royal PO / Igor Buketoff

A thrilling American Piano concerto! Mennin's music is just power packed! :)

Yes,dhibbard,Thompson's Second Symphony is great. The Bernstein is the best recording (not that there are many).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: September 20, 2021, 01:14:40 pm »

Getting smaller! Those Raffian's really are taking control! :o What we need are plastic knobs you can twiddle,like they used to have on the back of tv sets! Horizontal & Vertical Hold. You could even make the picture roll!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: September 20, 2021, 01:15:23 pm »

Now,I'm getting somewhere! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: September 21, 2021, 08:43:12 pm »

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

More highlights from the 1960's Eurodisc vaults! This cd of highlights from Lehar's 1910 operetta,with sumptuous orchestral playing & Rudolf Schock at his heroic best. Although,you can hear a little strain at one point when he hits a top note in one of Lehár's,most taxing,showpieces! This sort of singing puts those disappointing Cpo operetta  releases to shame! What a lovely operetta. And I mustn't forget the other soloist's,who are all very good,and the lovely choir. Margit Schramm,another big star in German speaking lands,is on fine form,I might add. It sounds like one of Lehár's best,here. I love the fiery gipsy orchestration. Lehár big rival in the operetta stakes,the great,Emmerich Kálmán took this even further,a few years later,in his classic operettas Die Csárdásfürstin (The Gipsy Princess) & Gräfin Mariza! What a pity emi-electrola didn't include this in their celebrated cologne series,though! This is top-notch,though!! One of Eurodisc's best production's! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: September 21, 2021, 11:37:52 pm »

William Schuman: Symphony No 4 (1941)

Supposedly,not as masterly as his third (and,it isn't) but still a very,satisfying listen. I particularly,like the gravely,sombre,slow movement! In the best American tradion,a fine movement! I like these old Louisville recordings. They recorded so much,that wouldn't otherwise have been accessible,except via the odd broadcast,or an off-air recording.
The Roy Harris "Johnny Comes Marching Home" on the same cd,is fun,Americana. Schuman's Prayer in Time of War is both stirring & impressive! I don't think much of the Becker,I'm afraid;and I just program it out!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: September 22, 2021, 01:13:21 am »

Symphony for Strings (Symphony No 5)

An impressive American symphony! Bracing writing for strings. The Delos recording has sumptuous sound quality. Schuman's is,arguably,the greatest symphony cycle by an American composer (taken as a whole). The later ones get tougher,though! (As do those of Mennin & Piston!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: September 22, 2021, 01:51:37 pm »

William Schuman: Symphony No 7

Great stuff! The Balada Steel Symphony is the sort of think I might usually avoid,but it's actually a fun listen!! :o It sound's like it's name. Like a musical depiction of a foundry,in sound.Albeit,not quite as literal as that might suggest! One for the hi-fi! Unfortunately,I'm listening on cordless headphones. The Schuman symphony having a stern,steely demeanour,it,somehow,seems apt. Schuman's symphonies were about to get tougher,though!! I think the Schuman symphonies are the most satisfying American symphony cycle,if you're looking for anything comparable to a cycle by a European or British composer. By that,I mean,someting that's going to be challenging and yet still,tonal. Or,at least,predominantly! As I said,Schuman's later stuff get's allot tougher! I like Howard Hanson & Paul Creston,for example;but they're lyrical works. I don't think anybody would find them a tough listen! I would also rate Mennin & Piston,very highly,in this respect.  Schuman's cycle is the most wide ranging,imo.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: September 23, 2021, 12:39:01 am »

digging through archives on Latvian radio https://klasika.lsm.lv/lv/lr/arhivs/?curr_year=2019, Longins Apkalns Symphony No. 3, sublime sounds, Maksis Goldins chamber concerto, et al, composers from each country seem to be sharing their unique way to breathe. Also Taneyev Sym No. 2, last movement makes me jump up and direct!!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: September 23, 2021, 11:06:10 am »

A powerful American symphony! The recording seems a tad dry,though! It may be the transfer from the original Lp? One ear needs drops of olive oil,so it could just be ear wax?!! ::) ;D Once,my ears adjusted (ear wax,or not?!!) this is rightly,regarded as a superb performance. This isn't a symphony to put your feet up to,mind! Not that you can't! It depends what you like putting your feet up to! Or down to! (A bowl of hot water! That blasted corn on my foot! :o ::)) But,it's not all big tunes & easy listening.The Essays for Orchestra & Night Flight are all well superbly performed here. Barber's music is muscular,propulsive and energetic. A tad astringent at times;but often hauntingly,lyrical. His Violin Concerto is one of the loveliest & tuneful of all 20th c Vc's.

jimmatt: I only got to know Taneyev's Sym 2,recently. I was very impressed,indeed! And yes,you do want to get up and 'conduct it'!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: