The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:25:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96686 times)
guest822
« Reply #2325 on: June 09, 2021, 08:41:32 am »

This is what comes of typing post's at tea time! ::) I usually count the asterisk's,very carefully! All I could think of was,that I was going to be having ********** **** and a nice ***** sliver of ****** ******* ******. I could almost ***** it ******* up the ***** ****!

;D ;D ;D Morning, cilgwyn. I hope you enjoyed your tea, especially the sliver of ****** ******* ******. I can't remember the last time I had any of that. Yum yum!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2326 on: June 09, 2021, 08:42:59 am »

Youse guys get off your asterisks and tap both of them foots cuz you HAVE to for Russian symphonies*.

* and I **** well mean it.

;D ;D Will do!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2327 on: June 09, 2021, 08:45:54 am »

The ever-erudite and well-researched Petroc Trelawney on R3: Alexander Campbell Mackenzie apparently became Principal of the RAM in 1891, eh?

::)
One is no longer  :o ...
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2328 on: June 09, 2021, 07:46:01 pm »

Just listening to the Scottish Symphony from this set. Sometimes, only a masterpiece of the front rank will fulfil one's cravings. These performances by the Chamber Orchestra of Europe under Yannick Nézet-Séguin are exquisite. If you only have one integral set of Mendelssohn's symphonies, I'd make it either this one or Abbado's.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 10, 2021, 12:25:42 am »

Gilbert and Sullivan: The Gondoliers  soloists/ Pro Arte Orchestra conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent    emi 2 cd's (I've got the old 'Fat Box' edition)

This has got to be the best sung Gondoliers. Not the D'Oyle Carte aren't good! The two stereo D'Oyly Carte recordings with dialogue are excellent! And,I'm a big fan of them! (The 1927 one is,arguably,even better! And the Pearl transfer has lots of lovely sausage frying noises! :o ;D) But for the sheer beauty & splendour of the singing,the Sargent has got to be my first choice,and takes some beating! It really is a feast for the old ear drums! I've got to disagree with Okapple about Sir Geraint Evans. He had a lovely voice & I wish he'd been in more of the Sargent Glyndebourne recordings! (My favourite Jack Point on record). And I've always liked Owen Brannigan,who is on splendid form here! And you've got Monica Sinclair and Elsie Morrison. Richard Lewis. You've even got Helen Watts in the cast! And as to being slow! No! The recording is vivacious! It skips along! They don't make 'em like this anymore! Wow! :) :) :) :) :)

Duke of Plaza-Toro:   Geraint Evans
Luiz:                     Alexander Young
Don Alhambra:      Owen Brannigan
Marco:                  Richard Lewis
Giuseppe:             John Cameron
Antonio:                James Milligan
Francesco:             Alexander Young
Giorgio:                 James Milligan
Duchess of Plaza-Toro:   Monica Sinclair
Casilda:                 Edna Graham
Gianetta:                Elsie Morison
Tessa:                   Marjorie Thomas
Fiametta:              Stella Hitchens
Vittoria:                Lavinia Renton
Giulia:                   Helen Watts
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2330 on: June 10, 2021, 11:03:18 am »

Gilbert and Sullivan: The Gondoliers  soloists/ Pro Arte Orchestra conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent    emi 2 cd's (I've got the old 'Fat Box' edition)

This has got to be the best sung Gondoliers. Not the D'Oyle Carte aren't good! The two stereo D'Oyly Carte recordings with dialogue are excellent! And,I'm a big fan of them! (The 1927 one is,arguably,even better! And the Pearl transfer has lots of lovely sausage frying noises! :o ;D) But for the sheer beauty & splendour of the singing,the Sargent has got to be my first choice,and takes some beating! It really is a feast for the old ear drums! I've got to disagree with Okapple about Sir Geraint Evans. He had a lovely voice & I wish he'd been in more of the Sargent Glyndebourne recordings! (My favourite Jack Point on record). And I've always liked Owen Brannigan,who is on splendid form here! And you've got Monica Sinclair and Elsie Morrison. Richard Lewis. You've even got Helen Watts in the cast! And as to being slow! No! The recording is vivacious! It skips along! They don't make 'em like this anymore! Wow! :) :) :) :) :)

I do so agree with you about the quality of the singers on these Sargent recordings. I have all Sargent's G&S recordings in a 16-CD boxed set (The Gondoliers, HMS Pinafore, Iolanthe, The Mikado, Patience, The Pirates of Penzance, Ruddigore, Trial by Jury and Yeomen of the Guard) that a good friend (knowing my proclivities!) kindly bought for me.

I sometimes wonder whether the Oakapple people will only accept productions that are either D'Oyly Carte's or clones of them. Anything a little bit different, even if artistically and objectively superior, seems less than acceptable to them. You just can't argue about the finesse of such artists as Elsie Morison, Heather Harper, Elizabeth Harwood, Monica Sinclair, Richard Lewis, Sir Geraint Evans and Owen Brannigan, can you? The orchestral contributions are spot on (larger string sections than you would get in a pit band but all the better for it) and first rate chorus singing too. Let's not forget that Beecham rightly said of Sargent as a chorus-master, "he makes the buggers sing like blazes". Each to his or her own but I'll take these Sargent recordings every time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2331 on: June 11, 2021, 03:19:58 am »

This is what comes of typing post's at tea time! ::) I usually count the asterisk's,very carefully! All I could think of was,that I was going to be having ********** **** and a nice ***** sliver of ****** ******* ******. I could almost ***** it ******* up the ***** ****!

;D ;D ;D Morning, cilgwyn. I hope you enjoyed your tea, especially the sliver of ****** ******* ******. I can't remember the last time I had any of that. Yum yum!

is that morse code?
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2332 on: June 12, 2021, 06:02:57 pm »

You don't have to write great symphonies and concertos to demonstrate that you are a genius. Oh, wait - he did that too!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2333 on: June 13, 2021, 12:34:35 am »

Stunning recording!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2334 on: June 13, 2021, 05:56:28 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 13, 2021, 08:51:40 am »

Stunning recording!

Fabulous!
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2336 on: June 13, 2021, 11:52:04 am »

Sonatas for Violin and Piano by Vincent d'Indy and Albert Dupuis. Franco-Belgian lusciousness!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 13, 2021, 11:48:09 pm »

The 1936 D'Oyly Carte Mikado   Soloists & Chorus/ Isidore Godfrey   Happy Days 2 cd set

The Mikado       Darrell Fancourt
Nanki-Poo           Derek Oldham
Ko-Ko              Martyn Green
Pooh-Bah           Sydney Granville
Pish-Tush           Leslie Rands
Go-To              L. Radley Flynn
Yum-Yum           Brenda Bennett
Pitti-Sing           Marjorie Eyre
Peep-Bo           Elizabeth Nickell-Lean
Katisha           Josephine Curtis

This is a fine Mikado! Martyn Green was just great in the comedy roles. At least,in his prime! This transfer is nice & clear,with that nice,soothingly,reassuring,background hiss of shellac. This is cd 2 of the set. The first cd features the complete 1930 D'Oyly Carte Pinafore,with Henry Lytton (no less) as Sir Joseph Porter. When you lift the hinge to remove the second cd,there's a lovely photo of Henry Lytton (replete with monocle) and Martyn Green! The 'N' word (I think I'll refrain from asterisk's!) is sung twice in this recording! So,I'm a little jumpy,using these wireless headphones! ::) But,it's a very old recording,and apart from that,it's a most enjoyable recording. It's also a 'window' on a performing tradition that continued until,alas,the final curtain fell! :(

Sound's like a nice cd,Lionel! :) Vincent D'Indy! Not sure I like the sound of the man himself;but I think he composed some lovely music! I just counted 13 cd's of his music,on my shelf! (Unlucky number! :o ;D)

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2338 on: June 14, 2021, 08:56:12 am »

The 'N' word (I think I'll refrain from asterisk's!) is sung twice in this recording! So,I'm a little jumpy,using these wireless headphones!

Sound's like a nice cd,Lionel! :) Vincent D'Indy! Not sure I like the sound of the man himself;but I think he composed some lovely music! I just counted 13 cd's of his music,on my shelf! (Unlucky number! :o ;D)

Yes, 1936 was a different time. Sadly, some people's attitudes about such issues remain unrevised. And yes again, D'Indy was not a nice man, although he didn't express his anti-Semitism in quite such repugnant terms as Wagner did. It's mildly surprising that people with such disgusting attitudes could produce lovely music!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:47 pm »

Gilbert and Sullivan: The Mikado    The 1907 Odeon Mikado with Walter Passmore as Ko-Ko (Soloists,Chorus & Orchestra & the Unknown Conductor! ;D)

This recording,made just by singing into a horn,sounds amazingly good! The recording,which I burned onto a cd,lasts 69 minutes & 30 seconds. So,there's quite allot here! Including the 'N' word (more,than once)! This is a very enjoyable performance,with a lively chorus. Walter Passmore breaks into a falsetto at the end of "Tit Willow". I'm not too mad on the use of falsetto in this song;but Passmore manages to make me laugh every time! There's an amusing exchange,later in the recording,with a chap who butts in;only to be told very firmly,that "I haven't finished singing,yet!" This recording was released on an Lp once,by Pearl;but never reissued on cd,sadly! :( You'd have needed that laugh,listening to this recording,in 1907! And an arm like Popeye the Sailor Man! ;D The recording appears to lose speed at one point & the vocalists begun to sound like a late night in a pub! ::) ;D Fortunately,this is a brief blip;and 'Popeye the Sailor' is on hand to wind it up! ;D (HMS Pinafore,would be more appropriate,here!) Still,back in the early 1900's this is how this recording would have sounded,when you forgot to wind it;or didn't wind it enough! (I should know,having two wind-up gramophone's,myself!) There's some rowdy cheering from the cast during "Here's a how-de-do!" which all adds to the fun. The 'N' word aside,this is a very enjoyable recording,with a lively cast! The presence of Walter Passmore means this is,also,a recording of great historical importance!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: