The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:19:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96657 times)
guest822
« Reply #2310 on: June 08, 2021, 05:53:59 pm »

I said I would order this today:

but when I looked at the Presto Classical website, it said it was out of stock and might take up to six weeks before it became available. Being an impatient old sod, I bought it as a download instead. I have listened to the First Symphony and I am very impressed. It's unmistakeably Scandinavian but I can't say it sounds derivative. It's very strong melodically, the harmony is piquant, the orchestration is excellent, reflecting the exigencies of both structure and dynamics, and whole thing just "works". I am looking forward to listening to the 2nd now. :) All those chaps further up the page were right. This music is too good to miss! 
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 08, 2021, 05:56:17 pm »

Ippolitov-Ivanov: Armenian Rhapsody on National Themes op.48
Ippolitov-Ivanov: Symphonic Scherzo for Orchestra op.2

Now Playing: Mitzyri-Symphonic Poem after Lermontov op.54*             

From listening to these shorter pieces I get the feeling that,like Rimsky Korsakov,Ippolitov-Ivanov's was more at home in less abstract form's. There is allot of colourful,tone painting in these scores. He certainly knew how to score. Although,he hasn't got R-K's genius for memorable tunes,there's much to enjoy here.

Confession! :-[ ::) I assembled these on a cd-r a while back;and I'm not sure who's playing what,now?!! ;D

B****! A woman singing now! :o This will be from the ASV cd with the Bamberg SO conducted by Gary Brain. The Soprano will be Claudia Barainsky. Listening on cordless headphones,doesn't help! (Can't see the display! ::)) This is where it would be nice to have the actual cd's!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 08, 2021, 06:04:17 pm »

I think you're in for a treat with,Alnaes,Lionel! :)

NB: Have you heard the Piano Concerto,yet?!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2313 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:41 pm »

I think you're in for a treat with,Alnaes,Lionel! :)

NB: Have you heard the Piano Concerto,yet?!!

I was going to wait until I had listened to the symphonies, but I have been so impressed that I'm about the click the 'download' button at Presto Classical now...

I'll let you know what I think as soon as I've given it a spin, but the Gramophone review is extremely positive so I don't expect to be disappointed!! ;D: "...Hyperion turns for inspiration to Norway and, in a first recording of Eyvind Alnę's Concerto, they light up the sky like an aurora borealis. Here is music very much for those in love with the most succulent romanticism, with lush, lavishly decorated melodies and a fin de sičcle array of props...."

Sounds right up my alley!

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2314 on: June 08, 2021, 06:16:18 pm »

B****! A woman singing now! :o

I could be wrong, but I think you are one asterisk short!  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2315 on: June 08, 2021, 07:13:59 pm »

I'm so glad you chaps decided to discuss Alnęs and thus encourage me to invest in this. What a cracker of a romantic piano concerto! I mentioned that the First Symphony wasn't derivative and neither is this concerto; rather, it actually anticipates the Rachmaninov of the Paganini Rhapsody (written decades later than this). The opening gestures of the first movement sound for all the world to me as if they come from the soundtrack of a 1940s film noir scored by Korngold or Waxman which, for the avoidance of doubt, I mean as a compliment. Now lisetning to the Sinding, which all the pundits say is less attractive but I am enjoying it!

A personal reminiscence: the pianist in this recording, Piers Lane, was an old friend of my late and much-missed piano teacher, Ronald Meachen. Ron told me one day that he'd written to Piers, explaining that he'd worked out a startlingly novel fingering for one of Chopin's études. Apparently, Piers replied, "I won't tell anybody if you don't!"  Pianists will understand why this is funny!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 08, 2021, 10:17:05 pm »

****! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2317 on: June 08, 2021, 10:28:34 pm »

****! ::)

Yep! Now that seems like the correct number!  ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 09, 2021, 01:29:13 am »

This is what comes of typing post's at tea time! ::) I usually count the asterisk's,very carefully! All I could think of was,that I was going to be having ********** **** and a nice ***** sliver of ****** ******* ******. I could almost ***** it ******* up the ***** ****!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 09, 2021, 01:39:03 am »

Playing now! Gliere: *****-***** ******** **.69      *** ************/ ********
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 09, 2021, 01:40:11 am »

I have ******* them!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 09, 2021, 02:07:28 am »

Youse guys get off your asterisks and tap both of them foots cuz you HAVE to for Russian symphonies*.

* and I **** well mean it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2322 on: June 09, 2021, 02:22:12 am »

yes....
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2323 on: June 09, 2021, 02:24:14 am »

and this one also:

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 09, 2021, 08:19:25 am »

The ever-erudite and well-researched Petroc Trelawney on R3: Alexander Campbell Mackenzie apparently became Principal of the RAM in 1891, eh? Still, at least the station did play Britiannia (1894)...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: