The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:16:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96902 times)
guest377
« Reply #2295 on: June 06, 2021, 10:59:42 pm »

This one today:

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:25 am »

Taneyev: Oresteia Overture Philharmonia/ Jarvi

Whooo! :o :) Stormy,turbulent,dramatic and with a majestic conclusion. Everything I want in Russian music from that period! :)

His Fourth Symphony is beginning,now! (USSR State SO/ Svetlanov) 

These are cd-r's burned from downloads! (I do miss the nice booklet & artwork! But it's the music that counts! :o ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2297 on: June 07, 2021, 08:58:25 am »

This one today:

Another advocate for Eyvind Alnæs! I will order this tomorrow!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2298 on: June 07, 2021, 09:07:15 am »

Taneyev: Oresteia Overture Philharmonia/ Jarvi

Whooo! :o :) Stormy,turbulent,dramatic and with a majestic conclusion. Everything I want in Russian music from that period! :)

His Fourth Symphony is beginning,now! (USSR State SO/ Svetlanov) 

These are cd-r's burned from downloads! (I do miss the nice booklet & artwork! But it's the music that counts! :o ;D)

Oh yes, wonderful. Sergei Taneyev is a composer whose name is better known for his pedagogic activities than for some of his music, which is a shame. His chamber music is especially fine, the Piano Quintet in G Minor being a quite exceptional utterance. If you don't know it, cilgwyn, and you like majestic conclusions, this is the piece for you! Get the version on DG by Vadim Repin, Ilya Gringolts, Lynn Harrell, Nobuko Imai and Mikhail Pletnev. If you are wearng socks, be prepared to have them knocked off!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 07, 2021, 01:21:00 pm »

Gilbert & Sullivan: Prince Ida  The Complete 1924 Recording with Henry Lytton as King Gama     (A cd-r! Sourced from a Youtube Upload!)

This is more like it! I'd forgotten I had this. This recording is of historic interest.Savoyards will know how important Lytton's presence is on a recording. This really is an excellent recording. Probably,the best I've heard,apart from those BBC recordings. It also includes,"Come mighty,must,". Apparently,it is the only recording to include it,apart from the Ohio Light Opera Princess Ida;which I notice,get's four stars at Okapple,despite some of the moaning! (They are a picky lot! Well,either that or I'm easily,pleased!)
I don't know who uploaded this;but for lovers of shellac swish,pop and crackle,there's a,veritable,feast in store,here! ;D You can even hear what sounds like the pick-up arm being put down. Furthermore,you have to wait about a minute for the recording to begin and remind the cd player to move to track 2 (that bit's probably my fault?! ::)). This really is a good performance,though. Well worth braving the assault and battery of the,obviously,worn 78 rpm records from which this recording,presumably,derives. And,unlike some of these heavily filtered transfers I've heard,it does sound wonderfully clear!!

NB: I'm not sure that was actually a 'complete' upload?! But it was nice to hear,at least,what I got to hear! :)

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 07, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »

Taneyev: Symphony No 4 USSR State SO/ Svetlanov

The Oresteia Overture is another one that get's you thinking,'Why isn't it better known or performed more often?' A Musicweb review I read reckons Taneyev goes a little over the top with the music depicting (or,evoking) the Furies! Maybe,but who cares? It's exciting & fun! And you could argue that Tchaikovsky goes ott on occasion! (Cannon's,anyone?! :o ;D) There's a memorable motif that stuck in my head,after my first listen. Always,a good sign. The Symphony I'm playing now has a memorable,surging theme. I can understand why some people rate Taneyev so highly. The music has a sweep and passion to it,which really carries you along with it. And the sound of those Soviet horns. A fiery performance. Svetlanov was a great conductor!
I think I have the Piano Quintet in G minor on a cd-r? I can't remember who's playing,though!! ::) :-[ I'm fairly new to Taneyev,actually! This is only the second time I will have listened to these pieces.

A lovely,soulful,slow movement,now! :) (Wow! What have I been missing?!! :o)

Update! Thrilling conclusion! Memorable,hummable,themes throughout! Fiery performance! What more could a listener want?!! Very impressed! :) :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2301 on: June 07, 2021, 02:33:15 pm »

Taneyev: Symphony No 4 USSR State SO/ Svetlanov

The Oresteia Overture is another one that get's you thinking,'Why isn't it better known or performed more often?' A Musicweb review I read reckons Taneyev goes a little over the top with the music depicting (or,evoking) the Furies! Maybe,but who cares? It's exciting & fun! And you could argue that Tchaikovsky goes ott on occasion! (Cannon's,anyone?! :o ;D) There's a memorable motif that stuck in my head,after my first listen. Always,a good sign. The Symphony I'm playing now has a memorable,surging theme. I can understand why some people rate Taneyev so highly. The music has a sweep and passion to it,which really carries you along with it. And the sound of those Soviet horns. A fiery performance. Svetlanov was a great conductor!
I think I have the Piano Quintet in G minor on a cd-r? I can't remember who's playing,though!! ::) :-[ I'm fairly new to Taneyev,actually! This is only the second time I will have listened to these pieces.

A lovely,soulful,slow movement,now! :) (Wow! What have I been missing?!! :o)

Update! Thrilling conclusion! Memorable,hummable,themes throughout! Fiery performance! What more could a listener want?!! Very impressed! :) :) :)

It's glorious stuff, isn't it?! I have the recording on Chandos (coupled with the 2nd Symphony) by the Russian State Symphony Orchestra conducted by Valeri Polyansky. While that doesn't have the benefit of the Soviet horns of the USSR State SO (nor Svetlanov, of course) they are at least Russian and satisfactorily fiery when needed!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: June 07, 2021, 02:49:34 pm »

Sergei Taneyev: Symphony No 2 in B flat minor (edited/completed:Vladimir Blok) Moscow Radio SO/ Fedoseyev

Talking of surging themes! According to a Musicweb review,"..the whole work, contains some ear-ticklingly memorable melodies"! Another fine recording!

Glorious,indeed! I must admit,I got the recording of the Fourth Symphony via an upload of an Lp recording! You'll have the benefit of digital sound. I'm a fan of Chandos,so I'll bear those recording's in mind! I often find these Soviet recording's of better quality than they were made out to be in the old review magazines! Not state of the (then) art;but,often,surprisingly good! (Albeit,a tad resonant at times!)

Wow! That raspy sounding horn! Almost like a very well,tuned,f***! :o ;D I gather this recording,by Fedoseyev,is well thought of?!! You'd think the maestro's would have been queueing up to record these symphonies?! Again,I'm impressed! This will be my second listen to this symphony! (Ooh,soaring theme here! :))

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2303 on: June 07, 2021, 03:00:21 pm »

I often find these Soviet recording's of better quality than they were made out to be in the old review magazines! Not state of the (then) art;but,often,surprisingly good! (Albeit,a tad resonant at times!)
I agree. Some of those old Melodiya recordings were excellent, despite what some snarky western critics would have had you believe.

Sergei Taneyev: Symphony No 2 in B flat minor (edited/completed:Vladimir Blok) Moscow Radio SO/ Fedoseyev
You'd think the maestro's would have been queueing up to record these symphonies?!
You would, wouldn't you. I love the music of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov as much (if not more!) than the next man but surely we could do without another integral recording of all their orchestral music in exchange for more recordings of Taneyev.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 07, 2021, 04:36:53 pm »

And Melodiya recorded not only amazing Russian symphonies, etc that could be found nowhere else and the quality didn't matter to me, just to get to hear some of it, also they recorded music of Russian women composers long before the rest of the world. I listen to Taneyev Sym 2 often, the final movement usually has me out of my chair and waving my arms. I am currently listening to Alfven's symphonies, another excellent series with that Scandinavian je ne sais quoi. Especially like No. 3
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2305 on: June 07, 2021, 04:59:50 pm »

And Melodiya recorded not only amazing Russian symphonies, etc that could be found nowhere else and the quality didn't matter to me, just to get to hear some of it, also they recorded music of Russian women composers long before the rest of the world. I listen to Taneyev Sym 2 often, the final movement usually has me out of my chair and waving my arms. I am currently listening to Alfven's symphonies, another excellent series with that Scandinavian je ne sais quoi. Especially like No. 3
I agree with every word of that, Jim. Alfvén is a composer very dear to my heart because the first piece of classical music I ever was entranced by was his Midsommarvaka (Swedish Rhapsody no 1). My older sister, alas now gone to glory, used to play it on the wind-up gramophone, and she'd have to pick me up out of my baby carriage to dance me round the room because I bounced up and down to the rhythm so exuberantly, she was afraid I'd overturn the thing and do myself a damage. That's a tad short of 70 years ago now but I still remember it as if it were last week. Don't ask me to remember what I had for lunch today, though. :-[
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: June 08, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »

Ippolitov-Ivanov:Symphony No 1 in e minor op.46     Bamberg SO/ Gary Brain

Pleasant,undemanding music. It's not going to blow your socks off like that Taneyev (see earlier post) but this is well crafted and enjoyable. Very nice,in fact! It's particularly nice late at night. There's some colourful orchestration here,though. It's better than Rimsky-Korsakov's attempts at symphonies,too (if you ignore Antar,one of my favourite pieces by RK,which is more of a suite,anyway!). I can't help wondering what this might have sounded like if Svetlanov had recorded it (or Fedoseyev?) So far,I've enjoyed everything I've heard by this composer. A modest talent I suppose;but very enjoyable,imo! I've paired this on a cd-r with Gliere's,lovely,First Symphony. Gliere music has more individuality and his powers of orchestration are,patently,superior;but they go very well together.

Addenda! Pairing the two symphonies does,however,make you aware of the inferiority of the ASV. The Chandos recording has a spaciousness and spectacular range. The strings sound lush. The ASV (not one of my favourite labels in terms of sound quality) recording sounds thin & undernourished,by comparison.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2307 on: June 08, 2021, 03:30:42 pm »

Ippolitov-Ivanov:Symphony No 1 in e minor op.46     Bamberg SO/ Gary Brain

Pleasant,undemanding music. It's not going to blow your socks off like that Taneyev (see earlier post) but this is well crafted and enjoyable. Very nice,in fact! It's particularly nice late at night. There's some colourful orchestration here,though. It's better than Rimsky-Korsakov's attempts at symphonies,too (if you ignore Antar,one of my favourite pieces by RK,which is more of a suite,anyway!). I can't help wondering what this might have sounded like if Svetlanov had recorded it (or Fedoseyev?) So far,I've enjoyed everything I've heard by this composer. A modest talent I suppose;but very enjoyable,imo! I've paired this on a cd-r with Gliere's,lovely,First Symphony. Gliere music has more individuality and his powers of orchestration are,patently,superior;but they go very well together.

Addenda! Pairing the two symphonies does,however,make you aware of the inferiority of the ASV. The Chandos recording has a spaciousness and spectacular range. The strings sound lush. The ASV (not one of my favourite labels in terms of sound quality) recording sounds thin & undernourished,by comparison.

I have to admit that the only pieces of Ippolitov-Ivanov I have ever heard are the Caucasian Sketches (of course!) this symphony and a String Quartet in A Minor. I think the first of those is an iconic piece and I love it; as for the symphony, I agree entirely with you that it's pleasant, undemanding and well-orchestrated; I confess the string quartet left me distinctly underwhelmed. I am probably going to be left wondering what the rest of his output is like!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: June 08, 2021, 05:31:17 pm »

Ippolitov-Ivanov: Songs from Ossian (Three musical tableaux from Ossian) Slovak Radio SO/ Donald Johanos

This is very nice. Atmospheric tone painting. A bit like a cross between Balakirev and Lyadov,perhaps? I'm enjoying this. The sound quality is good,with a nice rich bass.

Turkish Fragments,now,op 62,now! A jaunty march,colourfully scored,as an opener. Then some colourfully scored music,with an exotic,eastern flavour. I'm really enjoying this.

The Slovak Orchestra sound like they're doing a decent job! Again,I find myself wondering why such colourful,tuneful music has been ignored for so long? I didn't expect to like the music,this much! (This is only my,second listen,to these pieces). My right foot is tapping to the rhythm here! Always,a good sign! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #2309 on: June 08, 2021, 05:39:56 pm »

Ippolitov-Ivanov: Songs from Ossian (Three musical tableaux from Ossian) Slovak Radio SO/ Donald Johanos

This is very nice. Atmospheric tone painting. A bit like a cross between Balakirev and Lyadov,perhaps? I'm enjoying this. The sound quality is good,with a nice rich bass.

Turkish Fragments,now,op 62,now! A jaunty march,colourfully scored,as an opener. Then some colourfully scored music,with an exotic,eastern flavour. I'm really enjoying this.

The Slovak Orchestra sound like they're doing a decent job! Again,I find myself wondering why such colourful,tuneful music has been ignored for so long? I didn't expect to like the music,this much! (This is only my,second listen,to these pieces). My right foot is tapping to the rhythm here! Always,a good sign! :)

It looks like I might have been wrong (again!) in that, on the basis of your observations, I really ought to get to know more Ippolitov-Ivanov. From what you say, cilgwyn, these pieces sound as if they are in a similar style to the Caucasian Sketches and if that's so, I don't doubt that I should enjoy them as well. My right foot may start tapping! And, who knows, maybe my left foot too!   ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: