The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:09:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97320 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: May 04, 2021, 07:38:42 pm »

André Previn at the peak of his conducting powers and the LSO at their best. What's more, Previn observes the exposition repeat in the first movement of the symphony. Those that don't should be taken out and shot. Oh, all right then; "roundly condemned"!  ;D

Among many other felicities, Previn gets the LSO to produce a real pianissimo worthy of Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic at their best. It's depressingly rare that you hear a real pianissimo from an orchestra these days...
You know your exposition's,Lionel! ;D I'll have to bear this in mind. Incidentally,does Beecham observe it in his recording? He was known for taking liberties with music scores. Of course,they were different times,I suppose?!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #1861 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15:41 am »

put this on the CD player today.... hmm    I have the original LP on Melodiya ...

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 05, 2021, 07:28:25 am »

Yet another name completely new to me! How can anybody hope to ever have even a fractional overview of the repertoire? It's why I concentrate almost exclusively now on British repertoire and the rest just has to go by the board...

::)

Great cover picture!

;) :)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1863 on: May 05, 2021, 11:38:56 am »

You know your exposition's,Lionel! ;D I'll have to bear this in mind. Incidentally,does Beecham observe it in his recording? He was known for taking liberties with music scores. Of course,they were different times,I suppose?!

I have Beecham's 1942 recording with the New York Philharmonic and, off the top of my head, I don't know if he observes the exposition repeat. I will check later and let you know. I am aware that he also recorded it in 1953 with the Royal Philharmonic but I don't have that  :o  A review in The Gramophone by Richard Osborne states that in this recording, Beecham does not observe the repeat. It certainly wasn't the general practice to do so until quite recently; those who do observe it (other than Previn) include Abbado and Bernstein (to my knowledge -- there may be others, of course).  It seems bizarre not to, especially as Mendelssohn went to the trouble of writing twenty-three bars of music to engineer the repeat which go unheard if it's not observed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1864 on: May 05, 2021, 12:23:01 pm »

I have Beecham's 1942 recording with the New York Philharmonic and, off the top of my head, I don't know if he observes the exposition repeat. I will check later and let you know.

Checked. He doesn't. Shocking!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1865 on: May 05, 2021, 06:41:21 pm »

Elgar: Concert Overture: Cockaigne Op.40 conducted by Edward Heath; Bernstein: Overture Candide; Vaughan Williams: Fantasia On Greensleeves; Enescu: Roumanian Rhapsody No.1 In A major, Op. 11 conducted bt André Previn.

I remember watching this concert on the telly in 1971. Can you conceive of any of the philistines who we currently have as politicians exhibiting the depth or breadth of knowledge or skill to do this? No? I thought not. Heath was the organ scholar at Balliol College, Oxford before World War II, which goes to prove he was the real deal as a musician.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1866 on: May 05, 2021, 10:04:48 pm »

And now for something completely different...

I've always thought it the best version, certainly of the Piano Concerto in F and probably of Rhapsody in Blue too, although the competition in the latter is greater. At the risk of courting controversy, it seems to me that Gershwin invented this language of 'symphonic blues/jazz' (for want of a better term) and in the 97 years since the first performance of the Rhapsody in Blue, although some have tried, no-one has ever done it better (or even equally well). The Piano Concerto is so evocative of rainy nights on the streets of New York in the 1920s and 30s: it's film noir music composed before film noir was really invented.  I love it.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 05, 2021, 10:14:57 pm »

Can you conceive of any of the philistines who we currently have as politicians exhibiting the depth or breadth of knowledge or skill to do this? No? I thought not. Heath was the organ scholar at Balliol College, Oxford before World War II, which goes to prove he was the real deal as a musician.

I've always had a great deal of respect for Ted Heath and feel that he's been largely wiped out of British political history because of the pretty insurmountable problems he faced with the state of Britain as it was in the 1970s. In a sense, he wasn't of his time: a cultured loner was simply not going to cut the mustard especially with the growing thuggery of the right-wing policies that were brewing within his cabinet. As you say, it's simply impossible to imagine any politician today having even a modicum of his talent or indeed giving a tinker's toss about music other than what could be conjured by instructing Alexa to pop on another Beyoncé track...

:P

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1868 on: May 05, 2021, 10:20:30 pm »

Can you conceive of any of the philistines who we currently have as politicians exhibiting the depth or breadth of knowledge or skill to do this? No? I thought not. Heath was the organ scholar at Balliol College, Oxford before World War II, which goes to prove he was the real deal as a musician.

I've always had a great deal of respect for Ted Heath and feel that he's been largely wiped out of British political history because of the pretty insurmountable problems he faced with the state of Britain as it was in the 1970s. In a sense, he wasn't of his time: a cultured loner was simply not going to cut the mustard especially with the growing thuggery of the right-wing policies that were brewing within his cabinet. As you say, it's simply impossible to imagine any politician today having even a modicum of his talent or indeed giving a tinker's toss about music other than what could be conjured by instructing Alexa to pop on another Beyoncé track...

:P

Agreed in all particulars and, as to your last point, that's undoubtedly a fact sadly and profoundly true.  :'(
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 05, 2021, 10:27:55 pm »

Agreed in all particulars and, as to your last point, that's undoubtedly a fact sadly and profoundly true.  :'(

Perhaps we should start the AMF Party in a bid to get proper subsidy for the arts...

;D

...with a manifesto to scrap wasteful rubbish and bureaucracy and plough the money back into reviving the corpse that is our national cultural well-being.

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1870 on: May 05, 2021, 10:30:12 pm »

Perhaps we should start the AMF Party in a bid to get proper subsidy for the arts...

;D

...with a manifesto to scrap wasteful rubbish and bureaucracy and plough the money back into reviving the corpse that is our national cultural well-being.

A noble idea but I fear we'd be on a fool's errand.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 05, 2021, 10:32:39 pm »

A noble idea but I fear we'd be on a fool's errand.

I've already outlined a ministerial cabinet...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 06, 2021, 04:55:43 am »

I revisited Charles Villiers Stanford's piano concertos last evening, don't know why it took me so long. He is one of those composers who uses just the right number of notes--Amadeus to the archduke or whatever--I just mean they are so satisfying to listen to that one really can't ask for anything more. Also I have just been working my way through Palazetto Bru-Zane's Portrait album of Marie Jaëll's music. I have noticed some of the major orchestras have programmed Louise Farrenc' symphonies lately, and I wonder when Jaëll will have her day. If I were a pianist I think it would be so fun and fulfilling to perform her concertos for new audiences. And I love her Cello Concerto, too.
Edward Heath--what a concept, a cultured intelligent person as a leader. Some of my compatriots in USA recently thought an oafish criminal clown was good enough to be a leader, not having learned anything from history. Will anyone learn from that sordid piece of history?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:48 am »

I revisited Charles Villiers Stanford's piano concertos last evening, don't know why it took me so long.

The Adagio molto of the 1894 Concerto ("No.1", although in reality No.2) is one of Stanford's finest slow movements, deeply moving.

:'(

Will anyone learn from that sordid piece of history?

Er, nope.

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1874 on: May 06, 2021, 08:52:14 am »

Some of my compatriots in USA recently thought an oafish criminal clown was good enough to be a leader, not having learned anything from history...

Jim, can I say from this side of the pond that your compatriots are not alone in electing 'oafish criminal clowns'? Although yours was a supreme example of the type, we are not above making similar mistakes...

It's local election day here today and so I shall go and do my civic duty (after collecting my analgesics from the pharmacy!) being careful to vote only for some people who, while they may not be quite so cultured as Edward Heath, are at least decent and intelligent.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: