The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:21:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 96724 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: February 17, 2021, 09:57:26 pm »

:o :o :o :o :o
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1201 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:30 pm »

:o :o :o :o :o
Oh yes, shockingly splendid!

While I don't think I mind opera in languages other than English (Italian, French and German, at least) I must admit that the Hungarian of Duke Bluebeard's Castle 'A kékszakállú herceg vára' is slightly outside my comfort zone! Having said that, all of the six recordings I have of it are sung in Hungarian. I guess the music is so powerful and descriptive that you don't need to understand the words so long as you know the plot in detail. However, I do think the Chandos 'Opera in English' series was a noble venture.. Are they still going, do you know?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 17, 2021, 10:38:30 pm »

all of the six recordings I have of it are sung in Hungarian

Lionel, are you sponsored by Underpinning House UK?

Whoops, there goes the Bartok!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1203 on: February 17, 2021, 11:24:54 pm »

all of the six recordings I have of it are sung in Hungarian

Lionel, are you sponsored by Underpinning House UK?

;D

C'mon, tell me: how did you guess?

;)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 18, 2021, 08:03:32 am »

Currently on

;)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:24 pm »

Currently on

;)
A replacement copy of that cd came through the post this morning. As I said,in an earlier post,some idiot took the 'one I bought earlier' ,and left it in a charity shop!! ::) :-[

Now playing: Beecham's recording of Berner's Triumph of Neptune Suite,with the Philadephia Orchestra
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2021, 01:26:35 pm »

Currently on

;)
A replacement copy of that cd came through the post this morning. As I said,in an earlier post,some idiot took the 'one I bought earlier' ,and left it in a charity shop!! ::) :-[

Now playing: Beecham's recording of Berner's Triumph of Neptune Suite,with the Philadephia Orchestra

Bless you - the re-entry of the chorale theme in the finale (underpinned by the organ) is thrilling, isn't it? We do seriously miss Vernon Handley! My rule is: if you're thinking about junking a CD, put it in a room you seldom use (preferably in a drawer) for at least a couple of weeks and go to bed each night imagining that charity shop trip. It's amazing what sneaks its way back into your collection...

...only in my case it's the 1890s.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2021, 02:00:32 pm »

I recall Mirror Image (John) on the other forum (not that one!) telling me that he never got rid of cd's,because you might suddenly start liking a composer (and taste's change over the years!). The problem is the room they take up! My millionaire landlord suddenly decided to relocate me to a much,smaller house some years ago! Too late,I discovered the attic! But there's a leak,now! (Actually,two!!) Anyway,I've decided now I'd rather just live amongst them. Maybe I'll be on one of those tv programs about hoarders? Or one day,I'll reach up for my favourite cd and be buried alive,in an avalanche of cd's?!  When they,finally,force their way in,through the front door,they'll see just a hand sticking out,holding a cd! Knowing my luck,it'll be York Bowen!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2021, 02:58:47 pm »

I recall Mirror Image (John) on the other forum (not that one!) telling me that he never got rid of cd's,because you might suddenly start liking a composer (and taste's change over the years!). The problem is the room they take up! My millionaire landlord suddenly decided to relocate me to a much,smaller house some years ago! Too late,I discovered the attic! But there's a leak,now! (Actually,two!!) Anyway,I've decided now I'd rather just live amongst them. Maybe I'll be on one of those tv programs about hoarders? Or one day,I'll reach up for my favourite cd and be buried alive,in an avalanche of cd's?!  When they,finally,force their way in,through the front door,they'll see just a hand sticking out,holding a cd! Knowing my luck,it'll be York Bowen!! ::) ;D

Hey, it must be time for a game of CD Jenga - you go first...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »

I still have the first LP I bought in about 1960, and all other LPs and CDs I've bought since. I've never disposed of any of them. I never lend them either. I also still have some shellac 78s inherited from my parents. See photograph Albion inserted above of my house in a state of consequential mild disrepair.

;D 
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2021, 03:34:02 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2021, 03:44:06 pm »

Is it really THAT good - or do we have to guess what it is??? The Sound of Silence is one of my favourites too...

;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2021, 04:02:19 pm »

Is it really THAT good - or do we have to guess what it is??? The Sound of Silence is one of my favourites too...

;D ;D ;D
Oh blast! I was trying to insert a photograph so as to appear as tech savvy as you lot. I seem to have demonstrated exactly the opposite.

:'(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »

Not John Cage,was it?!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2021, 04:37:00 pm »

Not John Cage,was it?!!

;D Lord, no!

Actually, it was my entry in the 'See How Big A Mountain Of CDs You Can Build Without Upsetting The Balance Of The Universe' competition. In other words, the pile of CDs awaiting listening that's sitting next to my desk.   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: