The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:51:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 97062 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 16, 2021, 01:27:19 pm »

Somervell's Violin Concerto is also a lovely work.

:)

Oddly enough, I do believe that this just happens to be coupled with a splendid account of the Coleridge-Taylor VC...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #1186 on: February 16, 2021, 01:41:36 pm »

Oddly enough, I do believe that this just happens to be coupled with a splendid account of the Coleridge-Taylor VC...

;)
Yeah, funny that, huh?

;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »

Richard Arnell: Symphony No 3 Royal Scottish National Orchestra Martin Yates conducting

I finally got to the end (or top?!) of my Bliss pile! I finished off last night with the old emi recording. I must admit,I haven't heard any other recording. But I can't imagine it being done better. And John Westbrook is superb. I don't generally like music,with a lot of yapping,bits. With the exception of the 70's soul diva (and sadly,underrated) Millie Jackson (no relation to Michael! :o ::)) of who'm I'm a bit of a fan! And who did it,very well,incidentally! But that's for another thread or music forum(?). Anyway (how did Millie Jackson get into this?!! ??? :o ;D)........to get back on topic (shades of another forum! ;D) I do,actually,enjoy some music,that included,yapping......sorry,narration. For instance,I recently enjoyed listening to the famous recording of Facade,with Edith Evans and Constant Lambert. I can hear why it irritates some people;but they've just got such good voices,and it's so evocative of a certain era. I love it! :)  I also enjoyed Rawsthorne's Practical Cats. I don't think it's Rawsthorne at his best;but Robert Donat is so good. The posh,crisp diction. Again,so evocative of a certain era. I don't want to hear the Simon Callow version. Oh,and I would definitely swap Andrew Lloyd Webber for Rawsthorne,any day!! (Hope I got that the right way round?!) Even if Rawsthorne's take on TS Eliot,is less tuneful?!! ("Memory",anybody?!! ::))

Back to Arnell,please (Aay-uup! Quick march! ;D) According to one of the booklet notes,accompanying one of the Arnell cd's (I forget which one?!) Arnell is the grandfather of Boris Johnson! Okay! Interesting facts I didn't need to know,Part One! Moving on!! ::) ;D The first Arnell I ever heard was around the mid to late 90's,I believe?) It was a broadcast of his Piano Concerto on Radio 3. Fricker's Third Symphony was broadcast,around the same time. I remember taping both on my radio cassette recorder (one of those ghetto blaster type things with detachable speakers) and a telescopic aerial. I enjoyed the Fricker,at the time. I thought the Arnell was great. A bit like a British take on Prokofiev,as opposed to Rachmaninov! The next Arnell I heard was Beecham's recording of Punch and the Child and some mono recordings by Arnell. It really is astonishing that his music was overlooked for so long.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 16, 2021, 05:08:45 pm »

Back to Arnell,please (Aay-uup! Quick march! ;D)

;D ;D ;D

Both Richard Arnell and Stanley Bate are enormously rewarding composers - thank the stars for Dutton's enlightened A&R department...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 16, 2021, 05:35:07 pm »

;)
Yeah, funny that, huh?

;)

Both the S. C-T and Somervell VCs are splendid!

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1190 on: February 16, 2021, 06:03:28 pm »

;)
Yeah, funny that, huh?

;)

Both the S. C-T and Somervell VCs are splendid!

;D

I'm sure you'll forgive me if I express a preference for the SC-T. He's a composer with whose music I seem to have a visceral empathy.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 16, 2021, 06:30:42 pm »

I'm sure you'll forgive me if I express a preference for the SC-T. He's a composer with whose music I seem to have a visceral empathy.

As if I would even presume...

:o

BTW, I fully agree with you!

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1192 on: February 16, 2021, 06:40:17 pm »

As if I would even presume...

:o

BTW, I fully agree with you!

;)
It gives me much pleasure to hear you say that and yet, somehow, I'm not surprised; we are right-thinking people, after all.

;)
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2021, 12:45:04 am »

3rd symphony of Terterian on Chandos. Not for the faint hearted.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2021, 02:09:20 am »

3rd symphony of Terterian on Chandos. Not for the faint hearted.

Faint heart never won fair lady, or laddie.

;)

Thanks for this recommendation, I'll investigate!

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2021, 04:12:20 pm »

Richard Arnell: Piano Concerto David Owen Norris (piano) Royal Scottish National Orchestra Martin Yates conducting

The first Arnell I ever heard. Mid 90's,I believe?!. Radio 3. Never heard of composer. Positioned telescopic aerial. Put in blank cassette. Pressed play & record on ghetto blaster! ;D :)

A fantastic Piano Concerto,imo! Hard to believe this one remained unrecorded,for so long! An exciting first movement. A slow,brooding,more introspective movement follows. There are some,obvious,Russian influences here. Prokofiev,the most obvious (in the outer movements). But Arnell's still,very much,his own man! More surprisingly,some part's of the slow movement bring to mind the more reflective moments of Khatchaturian's Piano Concerto! (Armenian,of course!) Of which,I admit to being a fan!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2021, 04:16:39 pm »

Arnell: Symphony No 2 RSNO Martin Yates conducting

A powerful symphony. What a great opening! It just grabs hold and pulls me right in! I don't know it quite as well as No's 3-5,though! Arnell,definitely,has his own,distinctive,sound. I find Bliss the closest comparison,in terms of the sound world,if I try to look for one!  Which is why I put Arnell on,after playing Bliss. But they are both,very much,their own man (men! ;D). Rawsthorne has a more gnarled,knotty sound (And,I don't mean like Ken Dodd!! ;D)

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2021, 05:30:24 pm »

Parry's 5 Symphonies (inc both versions of No.4) and Suite moderne (all Chandos), then on to Stanford's 7 (both Chandos and Naxos), then Cowen 3, 5 and 6 (Marco Polo, EM and Classico) - a long night ahead.

::)

Well, somebody's got to do it I suppose (well, no, they haven't really)...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2021, 06:13:13 pm »

Parry's 5 Symphonies (inc both versions of No.4) and Suite moderne (all Chandos), then on to Stanford's 7 (both Chandos and Naxos), then Cowen 3, 5 and 6 (Marco Polo, EM and Classico) - a long night ahead.

;D
(ff)For he is an English man...  (all right, I know Stanford was Irish...)

:D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 17, 2021, 08:10:37 pm »

;D
(ff)For he is an English man...  (all right, I know Stanford was Irish...)

Indeed, it always tickles me the pre-dominance of the description "English" in describing British music. Willeby's excellent Masters of English Music (1896) quite happily takes in Mackenzie (Scottish) and Stanford (Irish)...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: